Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 92

Thread: Check out your Blenders here

  1. #1
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Check out your Blenders here

    Have any of you ever used a Blendtec? Are they worth it? There is a 'great' sale for a reconditioned Blendtec for $250. It has a 10 year warranty on it. https://www.blendtec.com/sxsw

    I know that it is still pretty expensive but curious to those that have used one or used a vitamax and if you were pleased with the purchase.

  2. #2
    Resident Science Cop woot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,538

    Default

    They're louder than a helicopter but yeah, they work like crazy. I wouldn't get one for personal use. Even at Jamba Juice et al. they use sound guards on them to try to keep the noise to a minimum.

  3. #3
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    Have any of you ever used a Blendtec? Are they worth it? There is a 'great' sale for a reconditioned Blendtec for $250. It has a 10 year warranty on it. https://www.blendtec.com/sxsw

    I know that it is still pretty expensive but curious to those that have used one or used a vitamax and if you were pleased with the purchase.
    I have a Blendtec. We use it multiple times daily for some pretty gnarly grinding action. Wildly awesome, and $250 is a good deal.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    I have a Blendtec. We use it multiple times daily for some pretty gnarly grinding action. Wildly awesome, and $250 is a good deal.
    Of course you have one and of course 250 for a blender is a great deal!

    You should put your money where your mouth is and offer to pay 2.5% of the cost.

  5. #5

    Default

    I bust a blender about every 8-10 months. Are these bad boys really worth it? Do you just make smoothies with them? What else are they good for? I also have a Cuisinart food processor.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  6. #6
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    I bust a blender about every 8-10 months. Are these bad boys really worth it? Do you just make smoothies with them? What else are they good for? I also have a Cuisinart food processor.
    We do a lot with them. We make two or three smoothies a day in them, depending on who or what is eating, but we just throw in the frozen berries without a problem. We also use it to grind wheat as needed. I haven't tried to blend a garden rake but based on the wear we've had on our for the last two years I'm sure we could.

    Like you, we destroyed blenders like mad before this one. This one is used multiple times daily and barely has a scratch.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    We do a lot with them. We make two or three smoothies a day in them, depending on who or what is eating, but we just throw in the frozen berries without a problem. We also use it to grind wheat as needed. I haven't tried to blend a garden rake but based on the wear we've had on our for the last two years I'm sure we could.

    Like you, we destroyed blenders like mad before this one. This one is used multiple times daily and barely has a scratch.
    Good to know. I may have to put this on the Mother's Day or birthday list. Could you make peanut butter or almond butter with it?
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  8. #8
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    Good to know. I may have to put this on the Mother's Day or birthday list. Could you make peanut butter or almond butter with it?
    We haven't tried but I'm sure it has the horsepower to do it.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  9. #9
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    Good to know. I may have to put this on the Mother's Day or birthday list. Could you make peanut butter or almond butter with it?
    I bet you could make fresh tahini with it. Anyone tried that?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  10. #10
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Ok guys...time to see how good you are all with color of blender choices. Make your selection here:


  11. #11
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    Ok guys...time to see how good you are all with color of blender choices. Make your selection here:

    Anything but red. Red is the color of evil, and I wouldn't want to make evil smoothies.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  12. #12
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,100

    Default

    If I check my blender here, how can I be sure to get it back? Do you issue claim slips?

    TIA.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  13. #13

    Default

    Anybody have any experience with something like this?

    http://www.macys.com/catalog/product...6-_-77-_-MP677

  14. #14
    Living in the Past ... FMCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Satan's Bubble
    Posts
    6,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    If I check my blender here, how can I be sure to get it back? Do you issue claim slips?

    TIA.
    Just buy a cheap blender at Costco and get a refund every time it wears out.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

  15. #15
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    Just buy a cheap blender at Costco and get a refund every time it wears out.
    That's fine, but who's going to store it for me in the mean time? Utestar offered, but has apparently reneged.

  16. #16

    Default

    Hey, appreciated the heads-up on this blender. We got one and its great. Perfect smoothies.....and a $489 blender for $250 is a sweet deal.

  17. #17
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters oxcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Split time between SF and NYC
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    Just buy a cheap blender at Costco and get a refund every time it wears out.
    Is this the way to go?

    I want a kickass blender so do I have spend for a BlendTec or a Vitamix or somesuch to get it?

    Is there a secret hidden value somewhere in a blender that runs less than $100?
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

  18. #18
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters oxcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Split time between SF and NYC
    Posts
    5,300
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

  19. #19

    Default

    My wife bought a Blendtech recently after going back and forth on it and the Vitamix for several weeks. She's thrilled with it.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    My wife bought a Blendtech recently after going back and forth on it and the Vitamix for several weeks. She's thrilled with it.
    After years of burning through cheap blenders, we did some research an settled on the vitamix. Like nik, we use it every day. We use it so much, it sits on our counter, never to be put away.

    IMO, the vitamix pushing wand is a big enough pro to give it the advantage over blendtech.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    After years of burning through cheap blenders, we did some research an settled on the vitamix. Like nik, we use it every day. We use it so much, it sits on our counter, never to be put away.

    IMO, the vitamix pushing wand is a big enough pro to give it the advantage over blendtech.
    What my wife liked about the Blendtech is that you didn't need a wand to keep pushing stuff down into the blade.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    What my wife liked about the Blendtech is that you didn't need a wand to keep pushing stuff down into the blade.
    If that is the case, then advantage goes to blendtech. I just assumed that was an issue with all blenders. Regardless, I love how these powerful blenders chop through ice so easily. When we got ours, Little Robin laughed at us and said it was just like the South Park episode called Margaritaville, in which the men of SP all buy expensive margarita machines. Many smoothies later, he has changed his opinion

  23. #23

    Default

    Blendtec refurb on ebay for $199:
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/3504904...=sbar&_lwgsi=y
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  24. #24
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,954

    Default

    We got a Blendtec for Christmas. Holy cow, I feel like I need to put on a safety belt when I turn it on. Fun little appliance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I bet you could make fresh tahini with it. Anyone tried that?
    (answering my own question). Don't bother making tahini. Just throw in a 1/2 C of sesame seeds with your other hummus ingredients and it all comes out as smooth as silk.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  25. #25

    Default

    My wife loves her Blendtec.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    My wife loves her Blendtec.
    My wife love MY Vitamix.

  27. #27
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,345

    Default

    This is next year's Zojirushi for the wuaps.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  28. #28
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default

    We bought a Vitamix last year. I cant say that it is any better or worse than a Blendtec, but it is pretty damn impressive. It came with a dry ingredient blending container as well as the regular one. Makes great smoothies.

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    We bought a Vitamix last year. I cant say that it is any better or worse than a Blendtec, but it is pretty damn impressive. It came with a dry ingredient blending container as well as the regular one. Makes great smoothies.
    Dude, Vitamix is better. We can be polite about this in public, but you and I own the superior blender. I am quite certain my Vitamix could make a smoothy out of a Blendtec.

  30. #30
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Dude, Vitamix is better. We can be polite about this in public, but you and I own the superior blender. I am quite certain my Vitamix could make a smoothy out of a Blendtec.
    Why is it better? Because you have to actually do some of the work yourself by pushing the food down?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •