No announcement yet.

Lent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Ash Wednesday, and as I sit here in my office with what remains of the ashen cross on my forehead from the mass earlier today, I've thought about what I want to sacrifice for Lent this year.

I've decided to give up all unessential internet use. This means no facebook, no youtube, no tumblr, and of course no CUF (yes, I will always call it that).

I've thought a lot about this, and it has been a long time coming. The recent name change and all of the nastiness may have made the decision easier, but are not the primary reason for the choice. I've got a lot on my plate right now. It's a crucial time in my career and I have found myself losing focus and falling behind. A lot of that has to do with how I've been using the internet. Hopefully reorganizing and refocusing myself will allow me to accomplish my goals.

This isn't a farewell, so there's no goodbye to be said. I'll be checking messages on all the usual sites periodically. Those of you who know me and feel like you need a more direct way of getting in touch with me then drop me a line and I'll give you my email address.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Sad, but understandable, Pilgrim.

I've participated in lent the last couple years and it has led to significant changes for the better in my life; changes that have had lasting effects.

Good luck with everything.
      Last edited by smokymountainrain; 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

I am always interested in the idea of Lent, pellegrino mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread that "40 days..." is a symbol of rebirth, I remember reading that a couple years ago when the original post was put up and thinking that I really liked the idea of doing or not doing something for "40 days" and being reborn in that phase of my life. Like I assume many here, I seem to go through periods of self-improvement and then relapses of bad habits, I'd really like to be able to put my mind to work on something and experience a rebirth of the way I approach that aspect of my life.

For the next 40 days I am going to give up procrastination, perhaps that isn't the kind of tangible thing that is the ideal someone gives up for Lent, but this more than any other part of my life right now needs my attention.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          I am always interested in the idea of Lent, pellegrino mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread that "40 days..." is a symbol of rebirth, I remember reading that a couple years ago when the original post was put up and thinking that I really liked the idea of doing or not doing something for "40 days" and being reborn in that phase of my life. Like I assume many here, I seem to go through periods of self-improvement and then relapses of bad habits, I'd really like to be able to put my mind to work on something and experience a rebirth of the way I approach that aspect of my life.

For the next 40 days I am going to give up procrastination, perhaps that isn't the kind of tangible thing that is the ideal someone gives up for Lent, but this more than any other part of my life right now needs my attention.
          I don't like giving things up. Lent is a terrible idea.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I was pissed when I learned that the 40 days of Lent refers to non-Sundays.
            Easter is still something like 46 days away (April 20).
            Super-weak.

Interestingly, Eastern Orthodox & Western (Catholic) Easter are on the same day this year. That's a rarity (so I believe, but I'm not good enough at numbers to figure out the frequency).
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

I was thinking today after hearing it was Mardi Grad, about how much I like the concept of Lent and starting over. I guess I haven’t evolved much in the past 4 years.

As I’ve already sworn off pizza until my birthday, I’m going to add fast food to pizza for the next 40 days.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

I was thinking today after hearing it was Mardi Grad, about how much I like the concept of Lent and starting over. I guess I haven’t evolved much in the past 4 years.

As I’ve already sworn off pizza until my birthday, I’m going to add fast food to pizza for the next 40 days.
                no pizza? sadist
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

We don't get convergence of Orthodox and Western Easter until 2034, so those of you who snoozed can go right along and have two Easters.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X