Lent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viking View Post
    I didn't see a soul with ashes on their foreheads here in the most catholic country in the world.
    What are you doing at the Vatican?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
      I didn't see a soul with ashes on their foreheads here in the most catholic country in the world.
      I don't know what you call the most Catholic country in the world (that generalization has a lot of problems on its face), but I've been in Boston and Seattle and St. Paul-Minneapolis airport today and seen dozens of people with them.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Quite a number of ashes in heavily Catholic New Mexico. I still have to fight the urge to tell people that they have pen on their forehead.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
          Quite a number of ashes in heavily Catholic New Mexico. I still have to fight the urge to tell people that they have pen on their forehead.
          I wonder why there are so many in heavily Catholic New Mexico but none in THE MOST CATHOLIC COUNTRY IN THE WORLD (whatever that is).
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            I wonder why there are so many in heavily Catholic New Mexico but none in THE MOST CATHOLIC COUNTRY IN THE WORLD (whatever that is).
            He lives in Brazil, so I think that must be what he is talking about.

Comment

He lives in Brazil, so I think that must be what he is talking about.
              SU is just mad at me tonight. He knows precisely what the most catholic country in the world is. In fact, he lived here.

Comment

I am giving up sugary treats and Dr. Peper for Lent. I am starting tomorrow because we had UD's birthday cake tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                  I am giving up sugary treats and Dr. Peper for Lent. I am starting tomorrow because we had UD's birthday cake tonight.
                  good for you SG, I always have a tough time choosing something to give up for lent.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    good for you SG, I always have a tough time choosing something to give up for lent.
                    You could give up fizzy water???

Comment

Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                      You could give up fizzy water???
                      see, that's my problem, I think too big.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        My co-worker is giving up his new years resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          Interestingly enough, ESPN put both Digger Phelps and Tony Reali (among others I'm sure) with Ashes on their foreheads. I don't think I've ever seen that on TV on ash wednesday.
                          Tony has done it at least the past couple of years, but I tune out Digger whenever possible so I can't vouch for him.

As a Baptist in my younger years, we didn't do Lent and I wasn't familiar with the ash until after my mission.
                          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            DO I even want to knoiw why you know this?
                            You sure do, being a student of life and all.
                            There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                            And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

I was in Houston one ash Wednesday. My coworker and I were in the elevator, she is a first gen Korean American. Someone else walked into the elevator with ash on the forehead and my coworker told them they had toner on them.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                                Tony has done it at least the past couple of years, but I tune out Digger whenever possible so I can't vouch for him.

As a Baptist in my younger years, we didn't do Lent and I wasn't familiar with the ash until after my mission.
                                He coached at Notre Dame, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks to those who gave serious replies.
                                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                                X