Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCourts are getting a divorce.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...ng-for-divorce

News of divorce itself is a pity. However, as it relates to the team, there is a very real possibility that the team is sold. This could be disastrous or beneficial, depending on the purchaser.

We have learned that large corporations do not run franchises well...Fox and Disney, for example. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the McCourts as owners. They never really endeared themselves to Angelinos. They strike me as carpetbaggers that would rather own the Red Sox. However, I am grateful that they have taken the Dodgers to the playoffs 4 times in 6 years of ownership. They have steered the ship in the right direction.

It would be great to have an Arte Moreno-type owner...stable, understands what fans want and what players want, and committed to spending the cash necessary to field a winner every season. With the McCourts, you never know if this is the year they file BK.

best wishes to the Mccourts as they work through their differences. Sounds like it will be an epic landgrab filled with contention.

I wonder if Mark Cuban wants to buy the Dodgers? I think he would be a great owner, actually.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• in what comes as a shock to nobody, I can't focus today. at all.

I keep thinking about Game 1.

The rotation has been set, but I don't know...

Kershaw in Game 1 sounds good.

Padilla in Game 2 sounds good.

I am really nervous about handing the ball to Kuroda in Game 3 and then having Wolf anchor Game 4. Not sure how Wolf will handle that pressure.

I would almost rather see Bills get a shot before Kuroda.

It looks like Torre is going for the 1-2 knockout with Kershaw and Padilla on Thurs/Fri.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        in what comes as a shock to nobody, I can't focus today. at all.

I keep thinking about Game 1.

Kershaw in Game 1 sounds good.

Padilla in Game 2 sounds good.

I am really nervous about handing the ball to Kuroda in Game 3 and then having Wolf anchor Game 4. Not sure how Wolf will handle that pressure.

It looks like Torre is going for the 1-2 knockout with Kershaw and Padilla on Thurs/Fri.
        The old "Spahn and Sain, then pray for rain" approach.
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I've been wondering this week about why teams announce their rotation days before the series starts. Is there a rule that you're supposed to do this? Is it just tradition? A gentleman's agreement?

Obviously, there's a ton of scouting that goes into pitchers, so why do you give your opponent more of a chance to scout? If you're a manager, you want your guys to know when they're pitching so they can be mentally and physically prepared on that day, but that doesn't need to be public info, right?

I can also see a reason to do it in the regular season--it's mostly a set rotation anyway, and you give a reason for fence-sitting fans to get excited about your ace and buy a ticket. But those things are irrelevant in the post-season.

Someone help me out here.

Comment

• Has Torre mentioned his reasoning for bumping Wolf (the Dodgers' most consitent starter for the full season, hands down) to game 4 instead of using him in game 2? I'm not saying I disagree with it. I'm just wondering what his logic is.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I sort of wonder if he is conceding game 3. Cliff Lee is throwing for the Phils that game, and I wonder if he's taking a gamble on not wanting to waste a quality start by Padilla or Wolf against a lights-out Lee on the mound. That doesn't seem to be giving our bats much credit, but they've been streaky up until the last 3 games.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Has Torre mentioned his reasoning for bumping Wolf (the Dodgers' most consitent starter for the full season, hands down) to game 4 instead of using him in game 2? I'm not saying I disagree with it. I'm just wondering what his logic is.
                Not that I have heard, and I will defer to EPU on all things baseball, but it seems to me that the most likely reason is that your 1 and 2 pitchers are able to go again if the series goes long. bumping Padilla up one slot puts him in a position to go in Game 6, a possible close-out game at home. If he pitches Padilla in the 4 slot, we only get to use him once and he has yet to lose as a Dodger.

I agree that he seems to be conceding Game 3. I think he is trying to win both home games, split in Philly, and then close out in Game 6. Kuroda could surprise, I suppose, but seems like a strange time (Game 3 of NLCS, first road game of the series) to find out.

sigpic

Comment

• Looks like Torre left his starter in just a few pitches too long. But it's understandable.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• That's game. 8-4. I'm shocked that Sherrill couldn't get it done in the NLCS!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      Looks like Torre left his starter in just a few pitches too long. But it's understandable.
                      Nah, it's not understandable. Torre's decision to yank Wolf in game 1 of the NLDS after only 3.2 innings is exactly what saved the game for the Dodgers. Torre should have pulled Kershaw after he walked Utley. It's tough to know what the game would be like had Torre pulled Kershaw one AB earlier.

Comment

That's game. 8-4. I'm shocked that Sherrill couldn't get it done in the NLCS!
                        That was one pathetic performance by Sherrill. Six of the seven Philly walks have come home to score (well, Hamels was out on a fielder's choice, but Rollins came around to score, so I'm still counting it). I understand that the Phillies have a great lineup, but you still have to go after them.

On a side note, this one game reminded me that I have very quickly grown to hate the Phillies, especially Victorino and his big mouth. I may not watch another minute of the series, despite being a diehard Dodgers fan. In honor of Pres. Monson's talk, I'm looking to reduce anger in my life, and the NLCS is going to make that very difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by prstrings View Post
                          Nah, it's not understandable. Torre's decision to yank Wolf in game 1 of the NLDS after only 3.2 innings is exactly what saved the game for the Dodgers. Torre should have pulled Kershaw after he walked Utley. It's tough to know what the game would be like had Torre pulled Kershaw one AB earlier.
                          I tend to agree. But Torre probably thought Kershaw could get out of the inning, and then he could pull him for a pinch hitter the very next Dodger at-bat and not have a pitcher batting. Not terribly compelling, but maybe that's what he was thinking. Heck, he's a Hall of Fame coach. He must have had a brilliant plan . . . .
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                            I tend to agree. But Torre probably thought Kershaw could get out of the inning, and then he could pull him for a pinch hitter the very next Dodger at-bat and not have a pitcher batting. Not terribly compelling, but maybe that's what he was thinking. Heck, he's a Hall of Fame coach. He must have had a brilliant plan . . . .
                            I've always thought that Torre is going to be a Hall of Fame manager because he deals well with people (and egos), not because of his in-game managing. But that's just me.

Comment

• the phillies have no depth beyond their starter. most of our runs were scored fairly easily off their middle relief. If we don't give up EIGHT runs every game, we have a good shot.

6 runs, approx 15 hits...I guess that won't cut it in this series.

Why was I cheering against the Rockies again?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by prstrings View Post
                                I've always thought that Torre is going to be a Hall of Fame manager because he deals well with people (and egos), not because of his in-game managing. But that's just me.
                                Well, it was a disastrous decision, as things turn out. Seems like leaving a pitcher in who's getting shelled for just a couple more outs often blows up in the managers face.
                                ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                                X