Official "Before and After" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official "Before and After" thread

This was my first tiling project. We had to spend $500 on a plumber because of problem beyond my expertise (which is equal to what Dr. google can teach me). I learned a bunch and wish I had done things differently, but, hey, it worked.

Favorite purchase (don't know why I think it is so cool) was the wax ring for the toilet.

Before:

2 years later and 5 days labor, total cost $1200:

Next is kitchen countertops, backsplash, and stovetop.
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

That's cool, looks nice. Manual labor is good for the soul too.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

I am so bummed that I didn't take before pictures of our kitchen (both times I've remodeled a kitchen). I would love to have them on record. For those planning projects - take pictures!!
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I like the tile. What kind is it? The his and hers vanities are interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Going to leave that wrap on the right-hand drawer?

Comment

Why are the cabinets different on each vanity?
          Why are the vanities different heights?
          Also, will the small knob/handle thing bang the mirror when you open that slender storage cabinet next to the shower?
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Because I'm poor. The left one is the original.

See above. Also, my wife wanted a "his/her's"

Also, will the small knob/handle thing bang the mirror when you open that slender storage cabinet next to the shower?

It won't touch it, but it is close.

Also, the tile is the cortina tile from the home depot. 12 inch for the tub and 16 inch on the floor. For the floor, I wish I had used a diamond pattern.
            "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Looks like you did a fine job!
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

doccoug, I LOVE the blue in the bathroom! Totally rad!

And the rest of you, pics please....

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Buzz kill.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

We're finally redoing our kitchen. It is a 1962 vintage with turquoise stove, oven, and hood, and even gold fleck glued-on Formica countertops. We had the floor replaced last year, but this year I taught a bunch of extra classes, and our tax return was solid, so we can afford this (barely).

Here's a before photo:

We've got a guy who will paint the entire kitchen, cabinets included, for $1200 total. Before he paints, Mrs. wuap wants me to add decorative trim to the doors to update the look. I've been buying 1/4" poplar planks and using a handsaw to do a couple a night. At first I was gluing and clamping, but my retired neighbor came over to see what I was doing and offered me his electric brad gun, so the work pace has quickened.

Also, the previous owners had their fridge in this space:

and as you can see, our fridge didn't fit in that space:

The space was 33", so we bought a pre-fab cabinet at Lowe's that was 30" wide, and I used a 1 1/2 x 1" board on either side to fill the space. I anchored it to the wall using 4" deck screws, and a couple into the cabinet on the side for good measure. It was level and plumb without me having to do anything. Note the turquoise paint peaking through. Imagine what this house would look like with all that turquoise. The horror!

Here's where it stands tonight:

We're getting DuPont Corian countertops (with a backsplash) on April 29th. We bought a 5 burner Bosch gas cooktop, and the pipefitter is coming tomorrow to run the gas line and the 110 line for the electric igniter. He's also going to completely rewire the kitchen because there is no grounding wire anywhere and I'm tired of getting the shit shocked out of me. I bought GFI plugs. We're moving the garbage disposal switch up to the wall from under the sink. Lowe's is putting in a fancy new window, trim and all, including aluminum wraps outside for $390. I bought a new oven hood from homeeverything.com for about $100 delivered.

I have to:

Finish the trim work
                    Remove the old hood
                    Install the new hood
                    Remove the old countertops
                    Install baseboard and trim molding around new cabinet
                    Put kickplate under new cabinet
                    Get a new faucet
                    Find new hinges and pulls for the cabinets
                    Replace ceiling light with the missing dome
                    Install new light fixture above the sink (they put an outdoor light up there)
                    Cut the valence over the sink to remove the points. I might even move it forward and put in some drop down lights.
                    Put in a drawer to the left of the dishwasher, which is currently just wasted space.
                    Add fake drawer plates to the areas below the stove and the sink
                    Replace all light switches.

I'll try and post as often as possible.

Remove the countertops on
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                      This was my first tiling project. We had to spend $500 on a plumber because of problem beyond my expertise (which is equal to what Dr. google can teach me). I learned a bunch and wish I had done things differently, but, hey, it worked.

Favorite purchase (don't know why I think it is so cool) was the wax ring for the toilet.

Before:

2 years later and 5 days labor, total cost $1200:

Next is kitchen countertops, backsplash, and stovetop.

That is really awesome. The best I could do would be to show the floor before and after vacuuming.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        We're finally redoing our kitchen. It is a 1962 vintage with turquoise stove, oven, and hood, and even gold fleck glued-on Formica countertops. We had the floor replaced last year, but this year I taught a bunch of extra classes, and our tax return was solid, so we can afford this (barely).

Here's a before photo:

We've got a guy who will paint the entire kitchen, cabinets included, for $1200 total. Before he paints, Mrs. wuap wants me to add decorative trim to the doors to update the look. I've been buying 1/4" poplar planks and using a handsaw to do a couple a night. At first I was gluing and clamping, but my retired neighbor came over to see what I was doing and offered me his electric brad gun, so the work pace has quickened.

Also, the previous owners had their fridge in this space:

and as you can see, our fridge didn't fit in that space:

The space was 33", so we bought a pre-fab cabinet at Lowe's that was 30" wide, and I used a 1 1/2 x 1" board on either side to fill the space. I anchored it to the wall using 4" deck screws, and a couple into the cabinet on the side for good measure. It was level and plumb without me having to do anything. Note the turquoise paint peaking through. Imagine what this house would look like with all that turquoise. The horror!

Here's where it stands tonight:

We're getting DuPont Corian countertops (with a backsplash) on April 29th. We bought a 5 burner Bosch gas cooktop, and the pipefitter is coming tomorrow to run the gas line and the 110 line for the electric igniter. He's also going to completely rewire the kitchen because there is no grounding wire anywhere and I'm tired of getting the shit shocked out of me. I bought GFI plugs. We're moving the garbage disposal switch up to the wall from under the sink. Lowe's is putting in a fancy new window, trim and all, including aluminum wraps outside for $390. I bought a new oven hood from homeeverything.com for about $100 delivered.

I have to:

Finish the trim work
                        Remove the old hood
                        Install the new hood
                        Remove the old countertops
                        Install baseboard and trim molding around new cabinet
                        Put kickplate under new cabinet
                        Get a new faucet
                        Find new hinges and pulls for the cabinets
                        Replace ceiling light with the missing dome
                        Install new light fixture above the sink (they put an outdoor light up there)
                        Cut the valence over the sink to remove the points. I might even move it forward and put in some drop down lights.
                        Put in a drawer to the left of the dishwasher, which is currently just wasted space.
                        Add fake drawer plates to the areas below the stove and the sink
                        Replace all light switches.

I'll try and post as often as possible.

Remove the countertops on
                        wuap, I dig your cabinets. I'm glad you're keeping them
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

wuap, i hope you're still gluing, even if you're brad nailing the trim now. IMO, when you are attaching two pieces of wood, you always use glue, even if you're nailing (cope joint being the one exception). Looks like a fun project (and by fun, i mean fun--i enjoy this sort of thing).
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

That's quite the project you've got going, wuap. That kitchen looks like a true college student kitchen at the moment. Out of date styles & colors, cluttered countertops, steel shelves for extra storage....

Comment

After Christmas, I posted a picture of the kids prepping a big Thai dinner. In the background, one could see our family room TV, small and forlorn in the large nook in which it sat. Here's a pic of the before:

Fusnik, that noted interior decorator, called me out on the pathetic TV, but deep down I knew he was right. So feeling once again the promptings of the great CUF spirit, I built some cabinets (actually, this C+ in wood shop decided it would be better to spend the time billing clients and hiring a cabinetmaker, which I did), bought a somewhat larger TV, and here's the result:

I may have to prep and post a video tour of the casa to get further guidance from the CUF Advisory Board.

Comment

Working...
                              X