No announcement yet.

Coker Cobras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coker College has been selected as the top seed and host for this week's NCAA Division II Southeast Regional Men's Soccer Tournament. One of just 32 teams selected nationwide, the Cobras will host the first and second round of the tournament with matches being played on Friday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov. 13.

Coker, who is ranked No. 5 in the latest National Collegiate Soccer Coaches Association (NSCAA) national poll, will face the winner of the opening round match between the #4 seed Mars Hill College and the #5 seed the University of Montevallo on Friday at 7 p.m.

The other first round match will feature the #2 seed Flagler College against the winner of the #3 seed Anderson University versus the #6 seed Lees-McRae College on Friday at 4:30 p.m.

The winning teams from the first round will advance to play the second round game on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. All first and second round games will be played at the Coker Soccer Field.

The regional winner advances to the quarterfinal round of the tournament to be held on Saturday, Nov. 19 at a to be determined site.

One of the toughest regions in the nation, the Southeast Regional features four teams ranked in Top 25: No. 5 Coker, No. 11 Anderson, No. 19 Flagler and No. 25 Mars Hill.

This is Coker's first trip to the NCAA Tournament and their first time hosting an NCAA Regional in any sport.

The Regular Season and Conference Carolinas Tournament Champions, the Cobras have only played one of the six teams in the regional during the regular season, Lees-McRae. Coker was 1-1 against Lees-McRae during the regular season, including a 1-0 win over the Bobcats on Sunday to capture the conference tournament championship.
    I've never heard of any of these schools and have no idea where they are located (assuming, of course, that Mars Hill is not the one from the New Testament)
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I've never heard of any of these schools and have no idea where they are located (assuming, of course, that Mars Hill is not the one from the New Testament)
      Yeah, we're in NCAA II. These are small regional schools without any kind of national renown. Some of them aren't even known in the region. Mars Hill is near Asheville, North Carolina, and it's a great school with a huge genealogy library. Most LDS folks in the Carolinas and Georgia know about it because of their records.

I've met people from Columbia, SC, 70 minutes away, born and raised, who have never heard of Coker College.

No. 5 Cobras Ready for First Round of NCAA Tournament

HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The nationally ranked No. 5 Cobra men's soccer team is set to not only to play in their first ever NCAA Division II Men's Soccer Regional, but also host their first regional on Friday evening.

The top seeded Cobras will host the #4 seed Lions of Mars Hill College in the first round of the tournament at the Coker Soccer Field on Friday night at 7 p.m.

Coker and Mars Hill have faced off twice in the last two years splitting their two meetings. The Cobras won the first meeting in 2009 with a score of 2-0 at Mars Hill, while the Lions picked up a 3-0 victory in 2010 in Hartsville.

The Cobras enter this meeting having won both the Conference Carolinas Regular Season and Tournament titles, while finishing the season with a record of 18-2 over and 10-1 in conference play.

The Lions, also playing in their first ever NCAA Division II Men's Soccer Tournament, enter the game with a 12-5-1 overall record. They defeated the #5 seed Montevallo Falcons on Wednesday in the Opening Round of the tournament to advance to play Coker.

Leading the Cobras are six Conference Carolinas All-Conference selections including conference Player of the Year Carlos Recinos, who leads the team in goals (13), assists (10) and points (36), and First Team All-Conference goalkeeper James Sweeney, who is third in the NCAA in goals against average and has 10 shutouts on the year.

The Lions are led by Stephen Bivens who has eight goals and two assists and Rury Caulfield has six goals and three assists.

The winner of the Coker/Mars Hill match will take on the winner of the Flagler/Lees-McRae match in the Second Round match on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. at the Coker Soccer Field.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Coker leaves Conference Carolinas for the South Atlantic Conference. I hear that TV revenues are off the charts!

http://newberryobserver.com/view/ful...te-to-join-SAC
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Coker leaves Conference Carolinas for the South Atlantic Conference. I hear that TV revenues are off the charts!

http://newberryobserver.com/view/ful...te-to-join-SAC
          It's about time. I was getting real tired of the Cobras having to carry the water for those losers in Conference Carolinas.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Coker 3
            Queens 0
            The Queens choked on the Cobras. Shocker

Comment

I was looking at the website for my nephew's club baseball team this morning and noticed they have two kids from the class of 2012 going to Coker.

St Louis Gamers Commitments

My nephew is in the class of 2014 and holding out hope for a BYU offer now that Vance Law is gone. If not, apparently Coker recruits his club program pretty heavily, so conceivable he could end up there.

Comment

Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                I was looking at the website for my nephew's club baseball team this morning and noticed they have two kids from the class of 2012 going to Coker.

My nephew is in the class of 2014 and holding out hope for a BYU offer now that Vance Law is gone. If not, apparently Coker recruits his club program pretty heavily, so conceivable he could end up there.
                That'd be cool. The coach here, Dave Schmotzer, is a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post

Do you know these kids?

HARTSVILLE, S.C. – June 26, 2012 – Coker College baseball coach Dave Schmotzer announced today the addition of three players for the 2012-13 season.

Pete Forsee, Tyler Picha and Jake Lund – all Missouri natives – have agreed to play baseball for the Cobras. All three, as well as fellow Coker signee Justin Blechle, played on the St. Louis Gamers, a summer select team led by former major league players Matt Whiteside and Scott Cooper.

"We are looking forward to these three guys getting on campus," said Schmotzer. "The fact that they've already played together is a great asset, and we are confident they will fit in well with our current club."

Forsee, a 6-foot-3-inch pitcher, is from Webster Groves, Mo. He was a two-sport athlete in baseball and football at Webster Groves High School. In baseball, Forsee was a Suburban South All-Conference second team-selection his senior season. Pete is the son of Dave and Beth Forsee.

Picha is a 5-foot-9-inch outfielder from St. Louis, Mo. He hit .300 and drove in 12 runs his senior season at St. John Vianney High School, where he also lettered in basketball and soccer. Tyler is the son of James and Kelly Picha and John and Rachele Leach.

Lund is a 6-foot pitcher from St. Louis, Mo. He attended Oakville Senior High School where he lettered in baseball for two years. Jake is the son of Kurt Lund and Jim and Nicole Summers.

Comment

Do you know these kids?
                    I've watched all of them play and work out. The Gamers are one of the top 2 club programs in the state of Missouri. All 3 of them are on the current 18U gamers team. I went to Nashville a couple of weeks ago to watch my nephew (on the 16U Gamers) play in a tournament. There was an 18U bracket that the Gamers were in as well. Every kid on that team can flat out play ball and will play somewhere at the next level.

Comment

Coker rates its very own corn maze this year!

Comment

http://www.ncaa.com/video#!soccer-me...-james-sweeney

This is a great video.

Comment

Tough game today against Limestone!

http://cokercobras.com/sports/mbkb/2...20130110vlt2ri

Comment

Ugh! We lost to Limestone 62-60. We were up by 5 with 35 seconds left, but the refs and a couple of amazing threes, and some missed foul shots by us, sealed our fate. It was the most fun I've had watching a basketball game in years.

Comment

Vote for Sharrod Williams, if you please.

http://collegeslam2013.com/college/canvas

Comment

Cobras sweep North Greenville in a 3-game series, improve to 22-11!

http://cokercobras.com/sports/bsb/20...20130330e6jbqo

With Spring finally making an appearance, we spent last night and today enjoying some baseball here in Hartsville. Aside from the tree orgy happening all around us and the accompanying allergies, we had a grand time watching the boys play quality baseball.

My son 'caught' a foul ball that landed by him, to his everlasting delight.

Baseball is the best game to watch live. I was horrible at it, but I love a game without a clock.

If you get a chance this Spring or Summer, take your kids to a baseball game, any level.

Comment

Working...
                                X