The Beatles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led Zeppelin > The Beatles >>>>>> Radiohead
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I don't think the discussion here was number of times a band has been sued for songwriting credits. If it is we'll just do it this way: Led Zeppelin > Coldplay
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Led Zeppelin > Beatles > Eric Clapton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Radiohead
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

The Beatles and the Wailing Wailers top my Greatest Bands of All Time list not because of any one thing, but because when they were together, the sum was far greater than the parts.

Also, in response to SJS, the Stones have some great songs and critics will agree with you that they're among the best, if not the best of all time, but I like the Beatles because I liked them more when I was a young man, and their songs conjure so many memories for me, that no matter how many times I listen in amazement to this absolute masterpiece:

[YOUTUBE]fhBpUJcpiCg[/YOUTUBE]

or this one by Led Zeppelin:

[YOUTUBE]HQmmM_qwG4k[/YOUTUBE]

they still can't eclipse the Beatles, in my mind. It's probably the same thing for you. But, dude, you'd prefer the Allman Brothers to the Beatles?
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            I don't think the discussion here was number of times a band has been sued for songwriting credits. If it is we'll just do it this way: Led Zeppelin > Coldplay
            Yeah, keep beating that drum amigo. I'll take a Led Zeppelin tune with dubious provenance over that whiny esoteric shit from Radiohead any day of the week.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              The Beatles and the Wailing Wailers top my Greatest Bands of All Time list not because of any one thing, but because when they were together, the sum was far greater than the parts.

Also, in response to SJS, the Stones have some great songs and critics will agree with you that they're among the best, if not the best of all time, but I like the Beatles because I liked them more when I was a young man, and their songs conjure so many memories for me, that no matter how many times I listen in amazement to this absolute masterpiece:

[YOUTUBE]fhBpUJcpiCg[/YOUTUBE]

or this one by Led Zeppelin:

[YOUTUBE]HQmmM_qwG4k[/YOUTUBE]

they still can't eclipse the Beatles, in my mind. It's probably the same thing for you. But, dude, you'd prefer the Allman Brothers to the Beatles?
              Speaking of Gimme Shelter, does else feel like Jagger is about to come in with "heeeeeeyyyy murder" during the chorus of Adele's new single?
              [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lazyDlfaptM"]YouTube - ADELE 'Rolling In The Deep' (Studio Footage)[/nomedia]

Comment

Yeah, keep beating that drum amigo. I'll take a Led Zeppelin tune with dubious provenance over that whiny esoteric shit from Radiohead any day of the week.

That's fine. For me it's just a major black mark on their career and I've lost an amount of respect for them. But I still love them for the most part, though I feel like I've really grown out of them since HS.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  But, dude, you'd prefer the Allman Brothers to the Beatles?
                  Unequivocally, yes.
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    Beatles = overrated.

Not denying their talent and contribution, but the Jimmer status they are blindly afforded gets to be a bit much. I know I'll be in the minority on this one.
                    I join in your minority, but I also deny their talent. I guess I cannot deny their contribution because a lot of people were influenced by them and seem to enjoy them for some odd reason.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Radiohead >>>>>> Led Zeppelin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Beatles.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        I'm pretty sure you've got the Funks in your corner. Me, I love Paul. (Sorry, Seattle.)
                        Me, I like the Beatles fine. It's Mpfunk who has spent years railing against them.
                        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                          Me, I like the Beatles fine. It's Mpfunk who has spent years railing against them.
                          In my defense, I have spent more years railing against that bastard Wynton Marsalis, the topic just comes up less often on this board. If I could erase one band/individual's contribution to the music world it would definitely be Wynton Marsalis over the Beatles.

Mainly, I figured I needed to bring this up as MarkGrace, the message board poster not the terrible broadcast, indicated that I needed to mention something beyond the scope of what was originally asserted.
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                            In my defense, I have spent more years railing against that bastard Wynton Marsalis, the topic just comes up less often on this board. If I could erase one band/individual's contribution to the music world it would definitely be Wynton Marsalis over the Beatles.

Mainly, I figured I needed to bring this up as MarkGrace, the message board poster not the terrible broadcast, indicated that I needed to mention something beyond the scope of what was originally asserted.
                            I'm confused. Your defense to railing against the Beatles (who arguably have had a much greater impact on the music scene at large than Wynton Marsalis) is that a washed-up jazz artist who is stuck in one genre of jazz music pisses you off more?

Does not compute.
                            "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post

haha.

Give Wynton one of these: :finger3:

This is why Funk loves Radiohead:

"The King of Limbs" is Radiohead's free jazz album.

Like revolutionaries Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and Charles Mingus who railed against the staid conventions of jazz in the 1950s and '60s, Thom Yorke and his band of merry pranksters have been completely deconstructing post-Nirvana rock 'n' roll in the new century.
                              Can't say that I blame him -- I just need to find a way to like jazz more.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                haha.

Give Wynton one of these: :finger3:

This is why Funk loves Radiohead:

Can't say that I blame him -- I just need to find a way to like jazz more.
                                Well now I'm inspired to listen to the King of Limbs. I'll have to listen to it tonight or tomorrow.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X