How old is your computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is your computer?

Just wanted to know who is using the oldest computer on the forum. It can be any computer you use -- office computer, home desktop, work or personal laptop.

My computer I have in my office was bought around June 2006-- so four and a half going on 5 years old. It's still adequate. It has 2GB of RAM which was decent for the time I bought the computer. June/July 2006 was right before Vista came out, so it's an XP machine.

I also have a one year old Asus laptop -- 4GB of Ram I3 processor and it looks like I can buy the same exact laptop only with an i5 processor and 4G for the same price. Too bad the POS can't keep the date or time straight (supposedly an unfixable BIOS problem).
    Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 03-01-2011, 01:39 PM.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Home computer...3 years.

Laptop - 8 months
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

I have software on this 4-5 year old computer that I loaded on it when I was still working for my old firm. I still use this software and it would likely cost me quite a bit to go out and get new software so I'll be holding onto this computer as long as possible.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

For a while, if you didn't have a new computer every two years, you were dealing with ancient technology. But if you're using XP, Office 2003, and a computer that was new 6-8 years ago, you can get by pretty easily for most applications.

Comment

December of 2007.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            For a while, if you didn't have a new computer every two years, you were dealing with ancient technology. But if you're using XP, Office 2003, and a computer that was new 6-8 years ago, you can get by pretty easily for most applications.
            Whenever I buy a computer, I get a pretty good processor, but not top of the line, but I try to get as much RAM as I can in a reasonably priced machine. RAM isn't terribly expensive, but when you add in any installation (I tried putting in RAM myself one time and I had the static strap and everything on but I still ruined my computer), then you may as well just get as much as possible when you buy the computer. I've found the limiting factor for computers is not so much the processor but the RAM and the video card.

Comment

My main computer at home I got just before the olympics in Torino, so 2006. It was a xp media center and we used it for home computing and recording a lot of tv until just this november when we finally got a dvr. Media center is awesome, if only it recorded in HD. I loved that thing. Still going strong. I did add more ram, upped it to 2 gig, and added a second harddrive for more recording space.

Some one gave us their old computer for the kids and it is way newer than this machine, but I still go to the old one for most everything, torrents and this site.

Comment

I still have the first laptop I bought for grad school so I could do research in the library and not have to make copies of everything.

It's an old IBM 386-SX with a HARD DRIVE - 40 MB. It was ridiculously expensive ~$2500 in 1992 dollars. But it saved me a lot of time and effort in doing research for school. I fired the bad-boy up about a month ago - it still works. Monochrome (amber) screen and all. I can't believe I actually enjoyed playing games on it.

I bought my first desktop about two years before that, a 386-DX right when they first came out. I got a 110 MB hard drive and everyone told me I was insane - there's no reason anyone ould EVER need 110 MBs of storage space. That old beast worked until a few years ago when we moved to Utah. My son dropped it. When I fired it up after the crash, the hard drive made a horrible grating noise and it went into bios setup mode. I finally chucked it after ~17 years.

But the computers I use day to day? My laptop is almost a year old - but I use my wife's IPad whenever I can...

Comment

I still have my Commodore 64 + Floppy drive. It worked the last time I plugged it in!

As for ones I actually use, my laptop is from 2005, the old desktop I use for an HTPC is from 2006-ish, not counting a recent vid card upgrade, and my current desktop dates to 2008/2009. Oh, and I just got my Windows Home Server this year. I think that's all of them.

I'm starting to think about building a new Sandy Bridge based desktop later in the year, but depending on my gaming I may wait until next year.

Comment

Sheez...this board has a lot of toys. Our sleek newer laptop is 2005. The older dog is 2002.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Mine was just born.
                      And hopefully will be crowned world's fastest in SLC next month.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/oc...uter-may-no-1/
                      I intend to live forever.
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

Our desktop is 8 years old now. I've done a handful of hardware upgrades, but it's definitely showing its age now.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

i carry a white macbook running windows 7 from the day they were released in may of 2006. it's on its last leg (and second set of ram/third hard drive), but it's been a great computer. i also have a lenovo g550 with a 15" screen for when i plan on doing display intensive work.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

The question is "How old is your computer?" Which has turned into a walk down memory lane. My first was an 8086 with no hard drive. Just dual floppies. $1500, and it didn't really do anything at all.

I/We currently have 2 desk tops, 4 lap tops, 1 Ipad2, 3 iphones, and 1 GSIII not currently working for 4/5 people. I built a new desk top about a month ago, and it's really nice, 16 gig ram, and a solid state drive, and 2T HD. My laptop (currently on) is an i7 with 8 gig ram. Screaming fast.

My wife mostly uses a 2008 Vista lap top. He finger nails have chewed through the keys, and the p and k keys are missing. It's a little 15" thing, and the fan sequels, the screen is missing a bunch of pixels, but she keeps plugging away on it even though I keep telling her she can have a new one. Oh yeah.... the HD is filled to 99%.... she has no sense of performance. She's frugal to a fault.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              Our desktop is 8 years old now. I've done a handful of hardware upgrades, but it's definitely showing its age now.
                              I just replaced an office desktop from 2005, mostly because I am cheap and it was functioning. I had no idea how much time I was losing on that machine. A lot has changed in seven years.

Comment

Working...
                              X