No announcement yet.

Bike Review anyone? Cannondale Synapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Review anyone? Cannondale Synapse?

Was out browsing the other day with new bikes. If I ever got another one, I was thinking of the Specialized Rubaix.

However, I've been looking much more closely at the Cannondale Synapse. Anyone ride a Synapse?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

I test-rode one a couple of years ago, before getting my Orbea. It was pretty good. It has a little more relaxed geometry (= more upright for old backs and longer rides). I didn't care for the handlebars that were on the bike I rode (which could easily be switched out). Most of the bikes I tested at the time were 56cm, but I ended up getting a 54cm, so if I'd gone back and test-rode all those bikes in the smaller size, that might have changed my view of them. The Synapse is certainly worth consideration.

The Roubaix is supposed to be a pretty nice bike, too. Took Cancellara to victory in the cobbles of paris-roubaix (thus the name). Or was that Boonen the year before? Anyway, I could never get past the funky zertz inserts. They say they soak up the bumps, but it always looks like a broken seat stay to me.

Comment

I've had my Roubaix for 4 years now. Love it.

Comment

I ride a Roubaix too. It's my first real road bike, so I don't really know how it would compare to others, but it's comfortable enough. My only complaint has been that I feel like I'm sliding off the front of the seat. I've only noticed this on the trainer and never on the road. I had the bike guy look at things and he seemed to think things looked ok. I'm told that the geometry is a lot more relaxed than most serious road bikes. I made the transition from a mountain bike so it doesn't seem relaxed at all to me, but I guess if I had been a long-time road rider, I might think so?

Ever had that problem on yours, coach?
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I ride a Roubaix too. It's my first real road bike, so I don't really know how it would compare to others, but it's comfortable enough. My only complaint has been that I feel like I'm sliding off the front of the seat. I've only noticed this on the trainer and never on the road. I had the bike guy look at things and he seemed to think things looked ok. I'm told that the geometry is a lot more relaxed than most serious road bikes. I made the transition from a mountain bike so it doesn't seem relaxed at all to me, but I guess if I had been a long-time road rider, I might think so?

Ever had that problem on yours, coach?
          Sounds like the front wheel's not blocked up high enough to keep it level, and you're sliding off the saddle. Check to see how level the axles are, and raise the front wheel if necessary.

Comment

I almost bought a Synapse last year, and may still get it this year. I loved riding it, but then again I have not been on a good road bike in over 2 decades (mtn bikes only since then).

I asked a friend about it. He is a die-hard biker and qualified for the Ironman this year. This is his comment about it: "It is like a Toyota Corolla. It will get you where you want to go, and the quality is pretty good, but not great."

But then again, he rides a $23,700 tri-bike ($6k in the wheels, $9k handlebars...) so perhaps he isn't the best judge. He DOES ride the STP (seattle to Portland, about 180 mile race) in one day, despite pushing 64 years old.

Comment

Working...
            X