Suprising correlation between singing hymns and gayness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suprising correlation between singing hymns and gayness

I would find it very surprising if there was any correlation between singing hymns and being gay, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a cause for concern.

My HS's elite choir was about 25% Mormon in a city that was probably only 2% Mormon. I attribute this to the fact that Mormons sing hymns every week, and that early exposure to singing gives Mormons an enduring advantage over their heathen brethren.

The elite choir was also 5% gay in a city that was probably only .05% gay. It is an indisputable fact that Mormons' love of singing exposes them to gay influences far more than less musical sects. Just as some argue that marijuana use increases the likelihood of using harder drugs, because it exposes the user to the illicit drug distribution network, it may also follow that Mormons' increased exposure to gay people via their mutual love and appreciation of musical theater may make gayness look more appealing.

Still, if such a correlation exists, I would find it very surprising.
    Last edited by RobinFinderson; 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM.

Why do Kim Kardashian's fans buy her diet pills when if they watched her show they would see that she never uses them?

Comment

I get it, it is a crazy question thread. Cool idea.

Why did the Bradys invite Vincent Price to the luau at the end of their Hawaiian vacation?

Comment

In my experience, the sensitive man is admired in LDS culture. In addition, Mormon parents tend to "encourage" their kids toward "well roundedness" which is code for make your athletes sing in show choir and make the choir geeks run cross-country. I don't know why we have created a religious significance for well roundedness but we have. Now, the question is whether such pursuits expose LDS kids to homosexuality in higher than normal quantities. I would say yes. Do they catch the gay more often? I would say no.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
          I would find it very surprising if there was any correlation between singing hymns and being gay, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a cause for concern.

My HS's elite choir was about 25% Mormon in a city that was probably only 2% Mormon. I attribute this to the fact that Mormons sing hymns every week, and that early exposure to singing gives Mormons an enduring advantage over their heathen brethren.

The elite choir was also 5% gay in a city that was probably only .05% gay. It is an indisputable fact that Mormons' love of singing exposes them to gay influences far more than less musical sects. Just as some argue that marijuana use increases the likelihood of using harder drugs, because it exposes the user to the illicit drug distribution network, it may also follow that Mormons' increased exposure to gay people via their mutual love and appreciation of musical theater may make gayness look more appealing.

Great post. I would love to see a study on this.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
            In my experience, the sensitive man is admired in LDS culture.

This is true. Why else would feigned tears be treated as spiritual currency?
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              I get it, it is a crazy question thread. Cool idea.

Why did the Bradys invite Vincent Price to the luau at the end of their Hawaiian vacation?
              They probably found him to be chiefly responsible for the curse of the Tiki idol and didn't want to further piss him off?
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I've read studies that estimate 5-10% of the male population is gay (probably a bit lower for females) thus I highly doubt there is any excessive gayness in the choir and there is no way your city is only .05% gay.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                  I've read studies that estimate 5-10% of the male population is gay (probably a bit lower for females) thus I highly doubt there is any excessive gayness in the choir and there is no way your city is only .05% gay.
                  I have often heard this 10% thrown around.

Really?

Are 1 in 10 men that you know gay? I find that number absurdly high.

I *might* buy the 5%. Maybe. 1 out of 20?

But when it comes to LDS guys in choir or theater, i'd say it might be closer to 1 in 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                    Oh crap! My authoritative credibility on this issue is now shot to hell.

Comment

Oh crap! My authoritative credibility on this issue is now shot to hell.
                      Not really. In my eyes it hasnt changed a bit.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                        I have often heard this 10% thrown around.

Really?

Are 1 in 10 men that you know gay?
                        No, but that is because I don't know the entire world male population.

Approximately 20% of the world is Chinese. That doesn't mean that 20% of the people that I know are Chinese.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          No, but that is because I don't know the entire world male population.

Approximately 20% of the world is Chinese. That doesn't mean that 20% of the people that I know are Chinese.
                          So you are saying that 20% of Chinese men are gay?

Racist!

Actually, would it really surprise anyone with the ratio of men to women in China?

Comment

I think I found the answer to this puzzling correlation.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

RIP, Robin. Still can’t believe we traded you for Topper.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X