St George Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Oh definitely--"oven" is relative. I think last year is still fresh on his mind, but the point is that you descend so quickly that you can feel it getting warmer.
    You guys will all be done before the day even warms up.
    You could probably run the thing in a parka and be okay.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
      Heh. Here's hoping. I could run this in 3:35, or in 4:35, and I'm not sure which one is more likely.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        Heh. Here's hoping. I could run this in 3:35, or in 4:35, and I'm not sure which one is more likely.
        I've done 6 different marathons and this one is the best course. As long as you don't go too fast up the volcano, it's a piece of cake (or pie. Mmmm. Veyo pies).
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

I've done 6 different marathons and this one is the best course. As long as you don't go too fast up the volcano, it's a piece of cake (or pie. Mmmm. Veyo pies).
          That's exactly what worries me. I'm debating how hard to take it up the volcano - the really tough stretch is about a mile, no? What's the grade?

(Per my usual, I'm going to drive the course the day before).

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            That's exactly what worries me. I'm debating how hard to take it up the volcano - the really tough stretch is about a mile, no? What's the grade?

(Per my usual, I'm going to drive the course the day before).
            Yes, the really tough uphill stretch is right around a mile. But the uphill grade continues beyond that for another mile or two at a much more gradual incline. Lots of walkers going up the hill.

The buses take you along the course in the reverse direction to get you to the starting line. I remember thinking "Holy freaking cow! this is a LONG drive!"

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Yes, the really tough uphill stretch is right around a mile. But the uphill grade continues beyond that for another mile or two at a much more gradual incline. Lots of walkers going up the hill.

The buses take you along the course in the reverse direction to get you to the starting line. I remember thinking "Holy freaking cow! this is a LONG drive!"
              I felt like I was being hauled off to a gas chamber.

Comment

I did a tough 10k that involved .4 mile runs up 5% grades, repeated 4 times. This was done in temps of 75 degrees and 95% humidity at a pace of 8:00-8:15. My HR held just fine, below my lactate threshold by a good bit, and my legs were fine (there were corresponding downhills, of course). I ran this intentionally to gauge my hill capacity.

When I did my LT test last month, we had to get me running at a 7:30 pace on an 8.5% incline (admittedly on a treadmill) to get me there.

I'm not that worried about the longer gradual inclines. I'm more worried about blowing myself up on that one really tough stretch. I'm planning on running the first half of the race conservatively, and I'm hopeful I can hold the pace all the way up Veyo.

BTW, I remembered thinking the same thing when I ran TOU. The distance is very apparent at 4:00 am in a school bus.

Comment

Here's my data from 2009:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15385983

Its pretty scary to see how badly I blew up over the last 7 miles or so. The uphill at mile 18-19 was deceptively difficult. Very slight grade, but its longer than it looks

Once we finally hit the flats at mile 24 I caught a second wind for half a mile only to crash and burn by mile 25. The last 1.5 miles were excruciating for me - no pain, just no legs under me.

I would also caution against going too fast into Veyo. Its a screaming downhill and can be really easy to just open things up and fly down the hill. I think I paid later for doing exactly that.

Comment

Here's my data from 2009:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15385983

Its pretty scary to see how badly I blew up over the last 7 miles or so. The uphill at mile 18-19 was deceptively difficult. Very slight grade, but its longer than it looks

Once we finally hit the flats at mile 24 I caught a second wind for half a mile only to crash and burn by mile 25. The last 1.5 miles were excruciating for me - no pain, just no legs under me.

I would also caution against going too fast into Veyo. Its a screaming downhill and can be really easy to just open things up and fly down the hill. I think I paid later for doing exactly that.
                    Yeah, that was my thinking too. I'm going to be running at a pace that, given the downhill, should be ridiculously easy. No going fast until mile 10. No real racing until mile 20. We'll see how it works.

Thanks for the elevation map.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon
                      Quit trying to temper expectations. You've been training at 5900 feet. That makes a difference in the oxygen-laden lowlands of SR-18. I expect you to take no prisoners.
                      Solon keepin' it real.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        Solon keepin' it real.

These guys are sandbaggers. They're trying to lower expectations so that they can exceed them. I'm onto their tricks. Both niku & ER are fast.

I try not to take these things too seriously. If you're not going to win the thing, my philosophy is to take a slower pace, enjoy the scenery, and have the legs to walk around on Sunday. Is that extra 20 minutes really worth limping for a week?

Ask Topper. After the Philly marathon in 09 we walked a couple of miles to South Street and pigged out on cheesesteaks. Meanwhile some lady staying at my hotel beat me by 35 minutes and spent the afternoon puking.

But I respect the guys who are training for time. It's just not for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post

These guys are sandbaggers. They're trying to lower expectations so that they can exceed them. I'm onto their tricks. Both niku & ER are fast.

I try not to take these things too seriously. If you're not going to win the thing, my philosophy is to take a slower pace, enjoy the scenery, and have the legs to walk around on Sunday. Is that extra 20 minutes really worth limping for a week?

Ask Topper. After the Philly marathon in 09 we walked a couple of miles to South Street and pigged out on cheesesteaks. Meanwhile some lady staying at my hotel beat me by 35 minutes and spent the afternoon puking.

I hope you're right. I'm in the pre-race jitters stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post

I'm not sandbagging. I seriously have no idea what to expect. I ran the Cedar half a couple of weeks ago to give me some idea and the people around my time last year ran St George three weeks later anywhere from 3:09 to 3:25--a pretty big range. I didn't run it all out, so I feel like 3:30 is a really conservative goal, assuming weather cooperates. But I felt like that in Ogden, and I'm still not sure what happened. I've put in a few more long runs this time, but my mileage is still pretty low compared to most.

And fast is all relative. A friend of mine is 60 yrs old (Steve W) and I still haven't beaten him at any race of any distance. He's SIXTY. I'm guessing he thinks I'm slow, although he's too nice to ever say it.

But that's a big part of the draw for me--the personal challenge. I don't care if the 60 yr old beats me at every race (Ok, I care a little...)--I'm racing against myself. I wish I could just race for fun, but I can't let go of the stupid goal (and 26.2 miles HURTS--no matter how slow you go, no?). I wonder how I'll deal with that once my body starts slowing down.

So go enjoy your Zen running experience. I'm too American for that kiind of crap.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              I'm too American for that kiind of crap.
                              We need a redneck emoticon.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                I'm not sandbagging. I seriously have no idea what to expect. I ran the Cedar half a couple of weeks ago to give me some idea and the people around my time last year ran St George three weeks later anywhere from 3:09 to 3:25--a pretty big range. I didn't run it all out, so I feel like 3:30 is a really conservative goal, assuming weather cooperates. But I felt like that in Ogden, and I'm still not sure what happened. I've put in a few more long runs this time, but my mileage is still pretty low compared to most.

And fast is all relative. A friend of mine is 60 yrs old (Steve W) and I still haven't beaten him at any race of any distance. He's SIXTY. I'm guessing he thinks I'm slow, although he's too nice to ever say it.

But that's a big part of the draw for me--the personal challenge. I don't care if the 60 yr old beats me at every race (Ok, I care a little...)--I'm racing against myself. I wish I could just race for fun, but I can't let go of the stupid goal (and 26.2 miles HURTS--no matter how slow you go, no?). I wonder how I'll deal with that once my body starts slowing down.

So go enjoy your Zen running experience. I'm too American for that kiind of crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X