Fredi's Ready! The next era of winning in Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fredi's Ready! The next era of winning in Atlanta

Coming off a very fun 2010, I'm excited to see what 2011 brings for the Braves. It's good to hear from the AJC that several of the Braves have dropped some lbs in the off-season and it sounds like Chipper and Prado are progressing along after season-ending injuries. And of course, it will be strange not seeing Bobby in the dugout, but it sounds like Fredi G. has a good work ethic and the guys respect him.

The first full-squad workout is this afternoon and 7 days until the first spring training game!
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

(And because I didn't want to start the thread on a sour note, I saved this for the second post.)

This pisses me off! The twins are making a bobblehead to commemorate and gloat over one of the worst calls in World Series history: Kent Hrbek pulling Ron Gant off the bag in '91 and the ump calling him out. I was irate when I saw this happen and my anger had subsided, even to the point of rooting for Joe Mauer because he's a good guy, but this just brings back the anger. :anger:

Comment

Traction.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
        (And because I didn't want to start the thread on a sour note, I saved this for the second post.)

This pisses me off! The twins are making a bobblehead to commemorate and gloat over one of the worst calls in World Series history: Kent Hrbek pulling Ron Gant off the bag in '91 and the ump calling him out. I was irate when I saw this happen and my anger had subsided, even to the point of rooting for Joe Mauer because he's a good guy, but this just brings back the anger. :anger:

WTF?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          WTF?
          Yeah, I know. I guess it's the tacit admission by the Twins of what crap that was.

Smoltzie is playing in a Nationwide PGA event at the end of April. It's a sponsor's exemption invite but I heard he shot a 67 last week and all three of those Braves pitchers could play some golf.

http://progolftalk.nbcsports.com/201...nt-in-georgia/

Also, wuap, did you see that Avett Bros. will be the post-game concert on April 10?

Comment

Yeah, I know. I guess it's the tacit admission by the Twins of what crap that was.

Smoltzie is playing in a Nationwide PGA event at the end of April. It's a sponsor's exemption invite but I heard he shot a 67 last week and all three of those Braves pitchers could play some golf.

http://progolftalk.nbcsports.com/201...nt-in-georgia/

Also, wuap, did you see that Avett Bros. will be the post-game concert on April 10?
            No, I didn't. We're going to see them in Charlotte on April 2nd.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

It's been almost 20 years and it still makes me very angry. Oh, and I hope Jim Leryitz dies in jail.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Former Brave Mike Hampton retired over the weekend, having earned $125 million in his career for his 148 wins.

Also, it looks like KK is headed to AA-ball to start the season. $6.7 mil doesn't get you as much as it used to.

Comment

I too am excited about the Braves. If a couple of guys bounce back, we've got a solid 1-8 lineup. Lots of runs this year. Tough to beat Philly's rotation, but I think the wild card is in play no matter what. I'm glad my MLB TV automatically reupped me.
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

That was a travesty. I still feel the bile rise in my throat when I think about that.
                    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

This writer's idea of how the Braves lineup should shake out, based on The Book.

1) Chipper
                      2) Heyward
                      3) Uggla
                      4) McCann
                      5) Prado
                      6) McClouth
                      7) Gonzalez
                      8) Freeman

http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=3898...Avenue+Club%29

http://www.insidethebook.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                        This writer's idea of how the Braves lineup should shake out, based on The Book.

1) Chipper
                        2) Heyward
                        3) Uggla
                        4) McCann
                        5) Prado
                        6) McClouth
                        7) Gonzalez
                        8) Freeman

http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=3898...Avenue+Club%29

http://www.insidethebook.com/
                        I'm intrigued by this. Chipper as a lead-off blows my mind, but I wonder what would happen if they tried this out for a week.

Comment

I'm intrigued by this. Chipper as a lead-off blows my mind, but I wonder what would happen if they tried this out for a week.
                          It's an interesting concept, but I don't know that I like it. Coming off major knee surgery I don't want Chipper in that role. I hope McClouth has a huge bounce back season, but honestly, he isn't really a lead off hitter either. This team doesn't really have a traditional line up. More power than previous years which is good, because they're going to really struggle to manufacture runs. If the back end of the pen holds up, I think we'll see the Braves win a lot of 4-3 type games this year.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            It's an interesting concept, but I don't know that I like it. Coming off major knee surgery I don't want Chipper in that role. I hope McClouth has a huge bounce back season, but honestly, he isn't really a lead off hitter either. This team doesn't really have a traditional line up. More power than previous years which is good, because they're going to really struggle to manufacture runs. If the back end of the pen holds up, I think we'll see the Braves win a lot of 4-3 type games this year.
                            But, that's the beauty of the Book's system vis a vis the Braves, their lineup is a mess by conventional standards, so be unconventional. The whole point is to not have a speed guy in the #1 hole.

Comment

But, that's the beauty of the Book's system vis a vis the Braves, their lineup is a mess by conventional standards, so be unconventional. The whole point is to not have a speed guy in the #1 hole.
                              I understand and it is interesting. I'm taking the fragile nature of Chipper into consideration. A 39 year old coming off major knee reconstruction leading off for probably the first time in his life scares me a little. Typically when he gets on base over the last few years there is already an out or two. Now he will be on base more often with no outs. More running. More breaking up double plays. That scares me. I think he could do it. He is patient and can adjust his swing to a short stroke as well as any player in the game when needed. I just would rather McClouth and Chipper trade places.

Comment

Working...
                              X