Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    You don't like the bowler?
    I'm serious! Bring that other one back before I have to ask JiC to do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Disagree.

If BYU cared about zooming up the rankings, they would cut undergraduate enrollment by at least 50% if not more, expand graduate programs, and put faculty to work doing publications and grants rather than teaching undergrads.

But that's not the mission of the University. Its mission is to be Wal-Mart rather than Trader Joe's.
      Please....BYU is more like Target. Univ or Phoenix and a number of state schools would be Wal-Mart.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
        Please....BYU is more like Target. Univ or Phoenix and a number of state schools would be Wal-Mart.
        Agreed.

Thanks for refining the analogy -- I knew it wasn't perfect.

I wish Utah had a Trader Joe's.

Comment

Disagree.

If BYU cared about zooming up the rankings, they would cut undergraduate enrollment by at least 50% if not more, expand graduate programs, and put faculty to work doing publications and grants rather than teaching undergrads.

But that's not the mission of the University. Its mission is to be Wal-Mart rather than Trader Joe's.
          Of course gaming the rankings is not their primary objective. That would be quite absurd. But they are certainly gaming the rankings within the framework of the overall objectives of the Law School. This gaming the system is why BYU saw a sharp rise in the rankings circa 2003, followed by a quick reversal of fortunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            Of course gaming the rankings is not their primary objective. That would be quite absurd. But they are certainly gaming the rankings within the framework of the overall objectives of the Law School. This gaming the system is why BYU saw a sharp rise in the rankings circa 2003, followed by a quick reversal of fortunes.
            the rankings rose sharply in 2003?

I thought the rankings were at their highest right around when soccermom and I were there (late 90s to 2000). Not because we were there, of course, but because BYU received major pub for the new library, which, at the time was cutting edge. Every cube was wired for students. I remember visiting faculty from many law schools, including Harvard, visiting the library to check it out.

At that time, the law school was ranked in the 20s. Isnt it somewhere in the 40s now?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Agreed.

It still doesn't work because only Super Target carries groceries. And Trader Joe's is relatively inexpensive.

I'd say BYU is Wegman's instead of trying to be Whole Foods.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Agreed.

Then you could buy a bottle of wine for $2!

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    the rankings rose sharply in 2003?

I thought the rankings were at their highest right around when soccermom and I were there (late 90s to 2000). Not because we were there, of course, but because BYU received major pub for the new library, which, at the time was cutting edge. Every cube was wired for students. I remember visiting faculty from many law schools, including Harvard, visiting the library to check it out.

At that time, the law school was ranked in the 20s. Isnt it somewhere in the 40s now?
                    you're both right (depending on how loosely you define 'rose sharply'). BYU peaked in 1999 and again in 2003. It's fallen steadily since then, largely because the ABA changed the way it compiles employment data. I also think BYU doesn't see as much of a bump in admissions from economic downtimes as the average school does.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      It still doesn't work because only Super Target carries groceries. And Trader Joe's is relatively inexpensive.

I'd say BYU is Wegman's instead of trying to be Whole Foods.
                      Is Wegman's kind of like a Pick 'n Save or Kroger?
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        ah, the jim kearl model.
                        Jim is always pushing this isn't he.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          This reminds me of K-Dog's basketball conference rankings.
                          If you want to argue conference rankings in hoops, come and argue them. Talking about them in a thread on lawschool rankings looks like a withdrawal from the field.

BTW, where is Utah in these rankings. If Utah is high, I like these rankings. If it is not, the rankings suck.

Comment

These rankings won't mean much in the near future because lawyers will be replaced by robots.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              These rankings won't mean much in the near future because lawyers will be replaced by robots.
                              Just the thing to inject a bit of humanity into the profession.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                                Then you could buy a bottle of wine for $2!
                                Two Buck Chuck!
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X