Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Law School Rankings: 1. Chicago 2. BYU 3. Harvard

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    The J. Roob CSO is claiming $120,000 as the median salary of the 2010 graduating class. Anecdotally, I know most of my class isn't making anywhere near those kinds of bones. The U of U law school reports $80,000 as its median salary. One of these things is not like the other . . . Are they still reporting Steve Young's salary?

The main CSO page also claims that 85% of graduates have jobs upon graduation. A scant 35–40% of my class had jobs upon graduation.

I know the school wants to reflect well upon itself. Everybody fudges numbers and uses creative math to arrive at their statistics. Some of this seems like outright fabrication, however.
    I don't know about CSOs at other schools, but BYU's is pretty much worthless. The best advice they could give me was to start my own firm.
    Not that, sickos.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I just think that income alone is such a small factor. Don't a lot of Harvard Law types prefer low-paying academic, government, and non-profit sector types of jobs?
    I think that most young college grads headed to law school have no real idea what money is or how much they will need when they are out of school. They mainly want to be employable after graduation (i.e., not selling insurance or residential real estate because that's all they can find).

On the other hand, it seems to me that the ones who have the chance to go to Harvard, Yale, et al., are more inclined to think "life-long major credential, big bucks if I want them, big opportunities, entree into the jet stream of American society," etc. The real scandal to me is how much debt some of those young people take on in order to get that big-time credential. Even if they wanted to teach or give government service, they often find themselves stuck in BigLaw chasing a big salary so they can pay off those loans.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think that most young college grads headed to law school have no real idea what money is or how much they will need when they are out of school. They mainly want to be employable after graduation (i.e., not selling insurance or residential real estate because that's all they can find).

On the other hand, it seems to me that the ones who have the chance to go to Harvard, Yale, et al., are more inclined to think "life-long major credential, big bucks if I want them, big opportunities, entree into the jet stream of American society," etc. The real scandal to me is how much debt some of those young people take on in order to get that big-time credential. Even if they wanted to teach or give government service, they often find themselves stuck in BigLaw chasing a big salary so they can pay off those loans.
    And many of those who do public interest law do it with student loan forgiveness at the very forefront of their reasoning.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 03-17-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    If people have a different reason for going to law school, they soon learn that they were naive.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    If by a lot you mean a handful, then yes. 99% of the law students going to Harvard are looking to make as much coin as possible.
    Double yup.

I just think that income alone is such a small factor. Don't a lot of Harvard Law types prefer low-paying academic, government, and non-profit sector types of jobs?
    See above. Common misconception. Or maybe you were being sarcastic?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

That's too bad.

Yeah, heavy student debt in both law and medicine create some unfortunate incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    See above. Common misconception. Or maybe you were being sarcastic?
    No, I was serious. Didn't Obama just become a "community organizer" after law school? It seems like there would be a lot of top law students from wealthier families who would eschew the corporate rat race and just want an easy, cushy job.

I know a lot of physicians who went to the best med schools around but have no desire whatsoever to make a lot of money -- they just want to work at easy academic jobs where they don't have to take call.

No, I was serious. Didn't Obama just become a "community organizer" after law school? It seems like there would be a lot of top law students from wealthier families who would eschew the corporate rat race and just want an easy, cushy job.

I know a lot of physicians who went to the best med schools around but have no desire whatsoever to make a lot of money -- they just want to work at easy academic jobs where they don't have to take call.
    It was definitely about the coin for most people at my school, which admittedly wasn't Harvard.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

It was definitely about the coin for most people at my school, which admittedly wasn't Harvard.
    Not Harvard but pretty close so I believe you.

People may attend law school for a lot of different reasons, but after first semester grades come out, it's all about scrambling for gainful employment--with the tacit understanding that anything that pays semi-decently will require your soul.

The reality in this economy is that most people aren't getting jobs paying $120,000. It's laughable that the BYU CSO should claim that as their median private sector salary for the 2010 class.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

No slam on Obama intended, but I don't think college or law school posed a financial hardship for him.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

No slam on Obama intended, but I don't think college or law school posed a financial hardship for him.
    Right. It's mainly people who get scholarships or have family money who can feel free to work as a DA or whatever they want to do.

Right. It's mainly people who get scholarships or have family money who can feel free to work as a DA or whatever they want to do.
    He was also a law school prof., which is a great way to make 90k+ with relatively few hours.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Some. I'm not sure there are such things as low-paying academic jobs for law school profs. The ABA, I believe, sets a minimum salary level for accreditation (at least, that's what I've been told), and those fellas may not be rolling in it, but they're not paupers either.

But what applicants really need is a clear idea of what they can expect in return for three years of their lives and six figures of their future salaries. Besides, until this year the top-14 have been the same top-14 for nearly two decades, so it's not like it's any secret which schools are the best.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2019-usnwr-rankings/

New USNR: BYU improves 5 places to 41. Utah drops 10 to 54.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2019-usnwr-rankings/

New USNR: BYU improves 5 places to 41. Utah drops 10 to 54.
    jrcls is still massively underrated at 41
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

This poorly-written joke is really not as clever as the writer thinks it is, but I'll laugh at pretty much anything that comes at SJQLS's expense:

The biggest winners here were Pepperdine, Denver, Miami, and Villanova, each gaining 12 places in the rankings. The biggest losers in this segment of the rankings were Utah and Rutgers, with 10- and 12-spot drops, respectively. Utah’s loss was another law school’s gain in this year’s edition of the rankings, as the school politely showed itself out of the Top 50 after the State Bar emailed a picture of a topless woman to every attorney licensed in the jurisdiction. It was later determined that the inappropriate email was “a result of human error,” and we have a feeling that “human error[s]” — like class credentials, employment statistics, and bar passage rates — were also responsible for Utah Law’s rankings drop
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    This poorly-written joke is really not as clever as the writer thinks it is, but I'll laugh at pretty much anything that comes at SJQLS's expense:
    For once, though, Quinney can claim better facilities.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    For once, though, Quinney can claim better facilities.
    the new building is nice. wish jrcls would do the same, but they’re just dumping a bunch of money into the ugliest building on campus instead.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.