Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law School Rankings: 1. Chicago 2. BYU 3. Harvard

Malcolm Gladwell criticizes the US News rankings

It favors the Yale model over the Penn State model, which means that the Yales of the world will always succeed at the U.S. News rankings because the U.S. News system is designed to reward Yale-ness.
    and then tweaks the US News data to include tuition costs and comes up with the following Law school rankings

1. University of Chicago
    2. Brigham Young University
    3. Harvard University
    4. Yale University
    5. University of Texas
    6. University of Virginia
    7. University of Colorado
    8. University of Alabama
    9. Stanford University
    10. University of Pennsylvania

(subscription req'd) http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell

A press release from BYU Law here:
    http://www.law2.byu.edu/news/item.php?num=1675

Alabama. lol. I take it they factored in the success of the football program, as well.

Comment

I've always thought that BYU could be an absolute monster in these college rankings if they were interested in just playing the game a little bit better.

BYU gets very little official credit for financial aid because they keep the stated cost of tuition very low.

If BYU just adjusted undergraduate tuition to $20K per year but then awarded every student a massive scholarship/financial aid package, that would help BYU in the rankings quite a bit.

Obviously reducing overall enrollment (cutting out the lower third of students, say, would shoot up the average test score/GPA scores even more) and putting more resources into graduate programs and research would be awesome for rankings too. But I know it wouldn't fit with BYU's mission, which is basically to be an enormous, cheap, Big-10 style "public" school for Mormons.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        Alabama. lol. I take it they factored in the success of the football program, as well.
        humblebrag.

Edit: you were too fast.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          humblebrag.
          ha! beat you to it.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            I've always thought that BYU could be an absolute monster in these college rankings if they were interested in just playing the game a little bit better.
            They are playing the game a lot. I think the major areas of shortfall are faculty reputation and reputation among judges, etc. Tough to game those.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
              Malcolm Gladwell criticizes the US News rankings

and then tweaks the US News data to include tuition costs and comes up with the following Law school rankings

1. University of Chicago
              2. Brigham Young University
              3. Harvard University
              4. Yale University
              5. University of Texas
              6. University of Virginia
              7. University of Colorado
              8. University of Alabama
              9. Stanford University
              10. University of Pennsylvania

(subscription req'd) http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell

A press release from BYU Law here:
              http://www.law2.byu.edu/news/item.php?num=1675
              This reminds me of K-Dog's basketball conference rankings.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                You mean it is something you argue about but dont really understand?
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Well, you always said K-Dog's first love was basketball, so I assume you agree with these rankings. Impressive.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

You've repeatedly stated your belief that K-dog is very knowledgeable about basketball. This is a positive step forward for you, recognizing something positive about BYU. Kudos.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                      They are playing the game a lot.
                      Disagree.

If BYU cared about zooming up the rankings, they would cut undergraduate enrollment by at least 50% if not more, expand graduate programs, and put faculty to work doing publications and grants rather than teaching undergrads.

But that's not the mission of the University. Its mission is to be Wal-Mart rather than Trader Joe's.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        You've repeatedly stated your belief that K-dog is very knowledgeable about basketball. This is a positive step forward for you, recognizing something positive about BYU. Kudos.
                        Your avatar is unacceptable, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

BYU gets very little official credit for financial aid because they keep the stated cost of tuition very low.

If BYU just adjusted undergraduate tuition to $20K per year but then awarded every student a massive scholarship/financial aid package, that would help BYU in the rankings quite a bit.

Obviously reducing overall enrollment (cutting out the lower third of students, say, would shoot up the average test score/GPA scores even more) and putting more resources into graduate programs and research would be awesome for rankings too. But I know it wouldn't fit with BYU's mission, which is basically to be an enormous, cheap, Big-10 style "public" school for Mormons.
                          ah, the jim kearl model.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                            Your avatar is unacceptable, btw.
                            You don't like the bowler?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That Malcolm Gladwell, he just thinks he has everything figured out, when in reality he is just coasting on the brainy aura produced by his freakish appearance.

Comment

Working...
                              X