No announcement yet.

Yo Quiero the best of Greg Wrubell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've learned over the last 2 games that Greg Wrubell is a propet - of sorts. if I want to know how the game is going to go, I just need to listen to Greg's pregame. It requires some minor interpretation, but it's uncanny how good he is at predicting the story of the game.

San Jose St:

Greg: These guys are horrible at run defense. They can't stop anyone.

Translation: BYU is going to have a subpar rushing attack, which may actually cost them the game.

Missouri:

Greg: These guys suck on offense. Their QB is yet to have a decent game all season. They haven't had a passing TD in the last 5 games. They haven't scored more than 13 points in the last 5 games. They are converting fewer than 30% of their 3rd downs. Bronco has NEVER lost the 10th game of the season - and this is the 10th game of the season.

Translation: Missouri's offense is going to play OK. Their QB will have at least an average game, if not better. They'll have at least 1 passing TD, and will score more than 13 points. They are going to have a pretty good day converting 3rd downs.

Damn. Did you have to go there Greg? Really? Sorry folks, this last one is the nail in the coffin. BYU is going to lose.

(Greg - maybe you should just shut up already. I mean, I'm not usually superstitious. But your "always" and "never" stats seem to always screw BYU and never be a good thing.)

Thanks Greg!

Comment

From the Grimey thread
      Originally posted by donuthole
      ...I distinctly remember Greg Wrubell commenting on the huge holes being opened up by the BYU O-Line. At one point he said something like "I don't think we've seen BYU be able to pound the ball like this as a team since the 1996 Cotton Bowl team." Lyons, in the way only he can do, points out how quickly Wrubell has forgotten the 2001 Doman-Staley team. I think Wrubell was expecting this, and practically cut Lyons off to explain how he was talking about the O-Line moving defenders and opening up holes, not about individual rushing performances.

I rarely catch football broadcasts, but it always cracks me up at Greg's obvious contempt for old man Lyons. In fairness to GW he seems to come to the games well-prepared, and generally knows all the opposing players names and numbers (which I think is much harder to do, than most people realize). Lyons on the other hand seems like he may or may not have read the Deseret News sports page before stepping into the booth. IMO, he provides almost no meaningful insight.

When Wrubell does basketball, it is obvious he likes to hang with Durant (the non-ponderized one). I'm not sure that Durant provides a whole lot the broadcast, other than seemingly being a likable guy. The one person who did bring something to the table, earlier this year, was Terry Nashif. I was pleasantly surprised at how decent of job he did on his first broadcast. I'm not sure if he has done more games or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

When Wrubell does basketball, it is obvious he likes to hang with Durant (the non-ponderized one).
        Shall I put priestcraft in the Pet Peeves thread?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Wrubell doing the RSL play by play on TV tonight. The dude knows soccer!

Comment

I feel like this thread title didn't get the love it deserved. The KSL "Yo quiero Taco Bell" campaign was one of the worst but funniest bits of marketing I've ever experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              I feel like this thread title didn't get the love it deserved. The KSL "Yo quiero Taco Bell" campaign was one of the worst but funniest bits of marketing I've ever experienced.
              It was funny. Between dumb promotions like that and having to work alongside Mark Lyons, I feel sorry for the guy sometimes.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I’ll readily admit I’m still kind of proud of this thread title.

Sounds like Riley Nelson is replacing Mark Lyons. Surprised by the choice- has he ever done radio? But I think he could be good (hard to worse than ML). He is young, confident and was a good interview as a player. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  I’ll readily admit I’m still kind of proud of this thread title.

Sounds like Riley Nelson is replacing Mark Lyons. Surprised by the choice- has he ever done radio? But I think he could be good (hard to worse than ML). He is young, confident and was a good interview as a player. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Pretty small shoes to fill. Lyons was terrible.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Pretty small shoes to fill. Lyons was terrible.
                    Come on now, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

In my experience, Riley Nelson is superior to the person that he replaces. Alas, that is not saying much. :sadtrombone:

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                        In my experience, Riley Nelson is superior to the person that he replaces. Alas, that is not saying much. :sadtrombone:
                        Applejack gets around. She has experience with both Riley and Mark.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          Who does the Utes games? Either color or play-by-play. I have no idea.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Who does the Utes games? Either color or play-by-play. I have no idea.
                            Bill Reilly/Scott Mitchell (replaced Dolce last year)
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                              Bill Reilly/Scott Mitchell (replaced Dolce last year)
                              Dolce was always entertaining. Especially after a bad or missed call.

Comment

If thinking Greg Wrubell is a terrible play-by-play announcer is wrong, I don't want to be right.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X