Thread: Yo Quiero the best of Greg Wrubell

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Default Yo Quiero the best of Greg Wrubell

Since most of Greg's bigger Jimmergasms (still hilarious, FIG) happen in football I will put this in the Stadium instead of the Arena.

From the AFA basketball game on 2-9-11
    Jimmer wants some, takes some, gets some... for 3
    ...even Michelle Peralta would be impressed with this one

He's had some explosive jimmergasms for basketball as well.

IMO, Greg is more into basketball than he is into football. If you ever get the chance to sit behind him at a basketball game, you will know I mean.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    IMO, Greg is more into basketball than he is into football. If you ever get the chance to sit behind him at a basketball game, you will know I mean.
    I think being down on the front row gives him more of a fan experience. He's talking to ref's. Relaying information to coaches. Trying to fix score or game clock issues. He believes he's an integral part of the game. I love Greg. I think it's fine for your radio guy to be a homer and a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I think being down on the front row gives him more of a fan experience. He's talking to ref's. Relaying information to coaches. Trying to fix score or game clock issues. He believes he's an integral part of the game. I love Greg. I think it's fine for your radio guy to be a homer and a big fan.
    NO!!!

He has a cooler job than I do. I envy him.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I'm a big fan.
    How conceited.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

I think it's fine for your radio guy to be a homer and a big fan.
    Agreed. On radio the broadcaster has to paint the picture for you and his excitement is much more important than it is on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Agreed. On radio the broadcaster has to paint the picture for you and his excitement is much more important than it is on TV.
    This is why I have no problems with Greg... I like the dude. If he's calling the game for the team I back...I want him to be a homer, and to be excited like any normal fan would.

You can't get excited when you have an objectionable, analytical person behind the mic.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Basketball is a more fan friendly sport. The action never stops and there are fewer moving pieces so it is easier for the casual fan to follow what is going on. There is more scoring and the players only wear underwear.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Basketball is a more fan friendly sport. The action never stops

Unless its the NBA, then the action is always stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    This is why I have no problems with Greg... I like the dude. If he's calling the game for the team I back...I want him to be a homer, and to be excited like any normal fan would.

You can't get excited when you have an objectionable, analytical person behind the mic.
    I like the fact that Greg has the ability to get excited about a great play even if it is a play that the other team is making.

Of course - once the play is over and he has re-grouped it is fairly common for him to come back down to earth and explain to us why it was horrible for BYU to allow that play to have happened and how it could cause BYU to lose the game. But in the moment that it is occuring, his excitment matches the fact that a big play is happening.

I have no problem with Wrubell being a homer because he is BYU's Radio guy. He is supposed to be a homer. Now if it was a national game with 2 guys that have nothing invested in either team, you would hope that they would be impartial although it is always hard to do. Just ask Dick Vitale about being impartial towards Duke, he just can't.

I'm a huge Wrubell fan. I love hearing his call.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

I've learned over the last 2 games that Greg Wrubell is a propet - of sorts. if I want to know how the game is going to go, I just need to listen to Greg's pregame. It requires some minor interpretation, but it's uncanny how good he is at predicting the story of the game.

San Jose St:

Greg: These guys are horrible at run defense. They can't stop anyone.

Translation: BYU is going to have a subpar rushing attack, which may actually cost them the game.

Missouri:

Greg: These guys suck on offense. Their QB is yet to have a decent game all season. They haven't had a passing TD in the last 5 games. They haven't scored more than 13 points in the last 5 games. They are converting fewer than 30% of their 3rd downs. Bronco has NEVER lost the 10th game of the season - and this is the 10th game of the season.

Translation: Missouri's offense is going to play OK. Their QB will have at least an average game, if not better. They'll have at least 1 passing TD, and will score more than 13 points. They are going to have a pretty good day converting 3rd downs.

Damn. Did you have to go there Greg? Really? Sorry folks, this last one is the nail in the coffin. BYU is going to lose.

(Greg - maybe you should just shut up already. I mean, I'm not usually superstitious. But your "always" and "never" stats seem to always screw BYU and never be a good thing.)

Thanks Greg!

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

From the Grimey thread
    Quote Originally Posted by donuthole
    ...I distinctly remember Greg Wrubell commenting on the huge holes being opened up by the BYU O-Line. At one point he said something like "I don't think we've seen BYU be able to pound the ball like this as a team since the 1996 Cotton Bowl team." Lyons, in the way only he can do, points out how quickly Wrubell has forgotten the 2001 Doman-Staley team. I think Wrubell was expecting this, and practically cut Lyons off to explain how he was talking about the O-Line moving defenders and opening up holes, not about individual rushing performances.

I rarely catch football broadcasts, but it always cracks me up at Greg's obvious contempt for old man Lyons. In fairness to GW he seems to come to the games well-prepared, and generally knows all the opposing players names and numbers (which I think is much harder to do, than most people realize). Lyons on the other hand seems like he may or may not have read the Deseret News sports page before stepping into the booth. IMO, he provides almost no meaningful insight.

When Wrubell does basketball, it is obvious he likes to hang with Durant (the non-ponderized one). I'm not sure that Durant provides a whole lot the broadcast, other than seemingly being a likable guy. The one person who did bring something to the table, earlier this year, was Terry Nashif. I was pleasantly surprised at how decent of job he did on his first broadcast. I'm not sure if he has done more games or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post

When Wrubell does basketball, it is obvious he likes to hang with Durant (the non-ponderized one).
    Shall I put priestcraft in the Pet Peeves thread?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Wrubell doing the RSL play by play on TV tonight. The dude knows soccer!

I feel like this thread title didn't get the love it deserved. The KSL "Yo quiero Taco Bell" campaign was one of the worst but funniest bits of marketing I've ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I feel like this thread title didn't get the love it deserved. The KSL "Yo quiero Taco Bell" campaign was one of the worst but funniest bits of marketing I've ever experienced.
    It was funny. Between dumb promotions like that and having to work alongside Mark Lyons, I feel sorry for the guy sometimes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster