Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I knew I was ambitious when I ran today. I have a circuit that I have done before that is about 2 miles out and back. Along the way is the high school.

I figured that if I wanted less,I could cut it short and double back OR if, somehow, miraculously, I wanted or could do more, I could hit the HS track.

Yeah...more....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

I agree about pushing it too hard. I have a hard time knowing the difference between pushing myself and absolutely killing any future desire to exercise. I used to run until I puked. That would last a few times out and I'd, obviously, had it.

This morning, I pushed myself to run the first 2 miles. I felt good when I did it in 18 minutes. I know that is crap, but it was my first time so I was okay with it. After that, I felt myself getting to that point, so I grabbed a drink of water at the 7-11 at the end of the two miles and then I alternated walking and jogging, then, walking and sprinting. After a brief minute or so of walking, I got to where I knew I had about .5 miles left. I told myself to gut it up and get my butt home.

Eventually, I'd like to get to the point where I can run the entire 4 miles. Then, I suppose I'll either add distance or increase my pace or both.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.
    That is still a whole lot faster than I go when jogging/lumbering - I still do about 10 -10:30 min/mile. I go down around Davis HS two, three times a week, sometimes it just to the HS (3rd South) and other time I'll cut up to 5 east and go around it then back to points north

Good luck in the morning - I don't know if you do this or not, but I've found for me stretching after I finish helps me keep down the injuries a lot

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I like PAC's 30 day commitment thing, but another good option IMO is to start out small by simply cutting back on your carb intake (cutting back ~50%) and doing a simple exercise (30 minute walks are perfect to start) 5 days a week. After 2-3 weeks when your clothes feel a little looser, you notice your increased energy, and you're feeling a little sexier, there's great potential for it all to snowball and six months later you'll be unstoppable.

46 y/o guy here. My experience is that this is the answer, although i'd add weightlifting 2x week. The more muscular you are, the more efficient your body is at eliminating fat. Also, if you lift weights regularly, then hip to waist ratio is a more important measure than BMI or weight. Keep it under 1.0 for guys and .8 for the ladies. My understanding is that fat below the belly button isnt as dangerous as fat above the belly button.

Suggest you start by eliminating or drastically reducing sugar, flour, starches and pasta from your diet, Julian Bakery makes a good low carb bread and Dreamfields makes a good low carb pasta. Give up soda. Increase water intake. You can also find Almond flour for baking and Carbquick for pancakes.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out long-term for you. Good luck my friend.
    Last edited by mUUser; 03-01-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Well, my resolve for running faded. My diet returned to normal.

I'm facing 37 in no better shape (but no worse) than I was when I started this thread.

However, I think I might have found an "easy" way for me to get exercise at least 4 days a week.

I've started walking. I made it a goal to simply get moving last week. Since then, I've averaged a bit over 5 miles per day.

On Monday night, I walked from my home to my office and back just to see what it was like and to time my "commute." The round trip is 5 miles +/- depending on the variation of my route. It takes me about 40 minutes per leg.

Tuesday night, I decided I wanted a drink from the Maverick in nearby Farmington. So, I decided to walk. The round trip there and back was just a bit longer.

Wednesday, I wanted to see how long it would take to walk to the local nearby Kaysville grocery store. About the same distance.

Today, I had about 1hour and 15 minutes for lunch. So, I decided I was going to walk rather than drive to get lunch at Harmon's. It's just about 3.5 miles round trip from my office.

This evening was beautiful and I got done about 20 minutes earlier than normal, so I left my car and walked the 2.5 miles home.

For the first time in a long time, I'm not hating exercise. I'm listening to talk radio, sports radio, Pandora, Spotify. I can check out Facebook, Twitter, CUF on my phone as I walk. The time passes quickly and I'm finding I'm actually enjoying my time (except lunch today...I was a bit stressed about getting back in time for my first afternoon patient...but it worked fine.)

So, 4 days in, I've walked 20+ miles, spent about 5.5 hours "moving."

I've got to decide if I am going to walk back to work to get my car or just leave it and walk tomorrow morning or have my wife drive me over. I'm honestly WANTING to walk back to get it.

It's not glamorous. It's not sexy. It's not very ambitious, but it's enjoyable and sustainable. I hope, over time, I get in better shape and maybe I'll graduate from the walking to jogging just like I've graduating from sitting to walking.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Well, my resolve for running faded. My diet returned to normal.

I'm facing 37 in no better shape (but no worse) than I was when I started this thread.

However, I think I might have found an "easy" way for me to get exercise at least 4 days a week.

I've started walking. I made it a goal to simply get moving last week. Since then, I've averaged a bit over 5 miles per day.

On Monday night, I walked from my home to my office and back just to see what it was like and to time my "commute." The round trip is 5 miles +/- depending on the variation of my route. It takes me about 40 minutes per leg.

Tuesday night, I decided I wanted a drink from the Maverick in nearby Farmington. So, I decided to walk. The round trip there and back was just a bit longer.

Wednesday, I wanted to see how long it would take to walk to the local nearby Kaysville grocery store. About the same distance.

Today, I had about 1hour and 15 minutes for lunch. So, I decided I was going to walk rather than drive to get lunch at Harmon's. It's just about 3.5 miles round trip from my office.

This evening was beautiful and I got done about 20 minutes earlier than normal, so I left my car and walked the 2.5 miles home.

For the first time in a long time, I'm not hating exercise. I'm listening to talk radio, sports radio, Pandora, Spotify. I can check out Facebook, Twitter, CUF on my phone as I walk. The time passes quickly and I'm finding I'm actually enjoying my time (except lunch today...I was a bit stressed about getting back in time for my first afternoon patient...but it worked fine.)

So, 4 days in, I've walked 20+ miles, spent about 5.5 hours "moving."

I've got to decide if I am going to walk back to work to get my car or just leave it and walk tomorrow morning or have my wife drive me over. I'm honestly WANTING to walk back to get it.

It's not glamorous. It's not sexy. It's not very ambitious, but it's enjoyable and sustainable. I hope, over time, I get in better shape and maybe I'll graduate from the walking to jogging just like I've graduating from sitting to walking.
    Good for you. The key is to move. I have really enjoyed walking in the past and have gotten out of the habit. I need to follow your example.

That's awesome. It is true that the best exercise program in the world is whichever one you can do consistently.

People always talk about what an awesome workout stuff like P90x or Insanity is, but you talk to them six months after they do the program and they are often completely inactive again. It is just too tough or not enjoyable enough to keep up.

I'm glad you found exercise that you enjoy because that is the best way to get results.

It's not glamorous. It's not sexy. It's not very ambitious, but it's enjoyable and sustainable.
    Then it doesn't matter if others don't find it glamorous, sexy, or ambitious. Keep at it. Any exercise is better than none and the increases in endurance will be the natural result of persistence.

The weight loss benefit of exercise in ancillary, in my opinion. The greater utility for me is the ability to clear my head, release stress, and feel healthy.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

You get as much health benefit out of walking every day than out of any advanced fitness program. I think a great step for most people is to buy a pedometer and log 10000 steps a day (I'm not the one to come up with this, but I think it's a fantastic initiative)--if everyone did this, our rates of diabetes, heart disease, obesity would drop dramatically.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

If you're walking around Kaysville I'll probably see around - I normally walk in the late afternoon (4 to 6)

I walk in a box bounded by 89 on the east, Angel street on the west, u-193 on the north and Davis Golf Course on the south. I normally do 6-8 miles a day somewhere in that box. If the weather is nice I'll do 10 miles or so on a Saturday. The dog loves me for it

Walking is the best thing I've ever done for my health, I've been doing it for about 6-7 yrs now - I just wished I'd started walking when I was your age

I just can't jog a whole lot anymore. I don't know if it's from being so heavy for so long or just getting old, but my knees and hips can't handle it.
    Last edited by happyone; 02-16-2012 at 07:19 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post

I just can't jog a whole lot anymore. I don't know if it's from being so heavy for so long or just getting old, but my knees and hips can't handle it.
    The knee is part of the issue.

It gets sore even walking, but jogging day after day it gets to be very annoying.

But, stupid me, still playing indoor soccer. Go figure. I have a game tonight at 11. 11! Stupidest time for a game ever.

Because of where I live and where my office is, I will probably only rarely cross paths with you. If I'm walking that early in the afternoon it will be from north Farmington to just north of the DC golf course and between main and I15.

I decided to walk to get my care tonight. I took my wife. If not for her, I would have kept going. I enjoy walking at night....I've always been a bit of a night owl.

So far, I'm liking it so much that I'm toying with doing a morning and night walk on Saturday and Sunday when I have more time.

The only thing I can see starting to annoy me is the scenery. It's one thing that annoys me about running, too. I get sick of seeing the same things day after day after day.

You might want to consider getting a Garmin or other GPS watch. You might like tracking your distance, pace and mapping your route.
    Good luck to you. I was once 36 and 215 lbs. Now I'm 45, 145 lbs and qualified for the Boston Marathon last year. Sometimes midlife crises can be a good thing.