Does Stephen Rogers Need More Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Stephen Rogers Need More Time?

According to Pomeroy, Stephen Rogers is a more efficient offensive player than Kyle Collinsworth and Charles Abuou.
    http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Brigham Young
    Rogers is at 106.6; Collinsworth 103.5; Abuou 95.5. His turnover rater is better than KC and worse than Abuou (22.1, 21.8, 17.2). His freethrow rate is much better than KC and CA.

Bottom line, looking at the stats makes me thing we aren't using Rogers enough. He has 1/2 Abuou's minutes and 1/3 of KC's minutes. I know he isn't the defender they are but he is solid in the zone and right now we need someone to play on offense more than we need someone to fill the 5th spot in the zone. I hope we see a lot of Rogers on Saturday and in the future.

I can only rationalize that the coaches feel his defense still isn't up to par. He did have a turnover, I guess. I really can't explain it especiallly given more evidence than just my eyeballs. He came in last night and right away scored 5 quick pts and immediately went David Blaine on us.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Stephen Rogers definitely deserves more time as I think he has been making the most out of his minutes. I am still a little confused around Rose's substitution pattern against Wyoming. Rogers played great in the 1st half and then didn't get off the bench in the 2nd.

The other thing that I was surprised about was when Jimmer sat at about the 8 minute mark I believe and BYU was able to extend its lead. In my opinion, I would have kept Jimmer on the Bench for a minute or two longer just to give him a breather. At that point there was no need to get him back into the game, and I think the other players need to learn to rely on themselves rather than expecting Jimmer to bail them out every single time.

Comment

I guess I can't argue with your stats, but I haven't been impressed at all by Rogers. He makes Lee Cummard look like a body builder and in the games I've seen, he makes poor decisions.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Yes.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

I have been saying this for a few games now. His confidence has come a long way. He is playing with much less hesitation on O and on D. Is he as good of a defender as KC or Charles? no but he is not the liability he was in the first part of the year. Since Charles and KC seem to be lacking confidence and Rogers confidence is improving it seems like a no-brainer for him to get more minutes. He has earned them.
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Rogers gets fewer minutes than Logan Magnussen. Rogers hasn't been great, but damn.

Comment

I think Roses main problem with Rogers is he has to hide him in the lower weakside of the zone. He doesnt' have enough lateral quicks to guard most 3's and is nowhere strong enough to guard any 4's. In previous years, Dave played primarily man, then switched to zone for a change of pace; this year it is the complete opposite. For the last 10 games he has been playing a lot more zone than man. I'm sure this will be the case against UNLV as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  I think Roses main problem with Rogers is he has to hide him in the lower weakside of the zone. He doesnt' have enough lateral quicks to guard most 3's and is nowhere strong enough to guard any 4's. In previous years, Dave played primarily man, then switched to zone for a change of pace; this year it is the complete opposite. For the last 10 games he has been playing a lot more zone than man. I'm sure this will be the case against UNLV as well.
                  Rose has been hiding Jimmer in the same spot recently.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Rose has been hiding Jimmer in the same spot recently.
                    Good catch. I meant to put that in my post. That is why it is so hard to play Rogers even in the zone. 40% of your already vulnerable defense is either unable or unwilling (Jimmer dogs it on D 75% of the time) to play good defense.

I could be wrong, but I think Dave, much like Bronco, generally thinks of defense first. And though Stephen is an upgrade on O, his lack of D isn't a big enough net gain to garner him more minutes.
                    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 02-04-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure Rogers is ready for prime time. I like the rotation right now. The only thing I'm really hoping for is that Charles breaks out of his funk and can earn more minutes. Maybe 16 at the 3 and another 8 at the 4.

Comment

I just wish Winder would have come in ready to go. This team would be much better if Jimmer were only getting 30 minutes a game, as presumably he could play a little bit of D if he weren't tired all the time (or working to prevent becoming so).

Comment

I agree that Rogers D is not as good as Abuou, KC and Hartsock but I think we are defending pretty well right now. One thing that we need is the ability to rest Jimmer so he can give us offense. If we ran more often with KC at the 1 and Jax at the 2, we would not be worse off if we have Rogers in there at the 3. We also might have the offense we need.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                            I agree that Rogers D is not as good as Abuou, KC and Hartsock but I think we are defending pretty well right now. One thing that we need is the ability to rest Jimmer so he can give us offense. If we ran more often with KC at the 1 and Jax at the 2, we would not be worse off if we have Rogers in there at the 3. We also might have the offense we need.
                            I'd be careful what you wish for. KC under pressure = deer in the headlights. I just don't see Rogers making any sort of impact this year.

Can anyone point to specific games where he has made good decisions? The ten or so I've watched this year, all I can recall from him are bricks and turnovers, so my memory has to be failing me.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Just throwin' this out there...

If Will Clyburn had somehow made his way to Provo rather than the dumpster fire to the north we could all safely book our 2nd weekend hotel on selection Sunday. He is exactly what Rose hoped Rogers would have become. I lament his wasted talent.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Working...
                              X