Other planets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    But we don't know what celestial engineering techniques were used. Oh, ye of little faith....

Seriously, I do find these sorts of discoveries fascinating. The vastness of space has always fascinated me. That's why I keep posting that photo of the Sombrero Galaxy here. I never get tired of contemplating that one.
    It's the final frontier.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Borderline Divine View Post
      Honestly LA I've had more than one person look me in the eye and tell me exactly that.
      That's because they read Doctrines of Salvation by Joseph Fielding Smith, which includes this speculation.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
        My understanding is that Kolob is, well, like a giant crystal or someting. Sounds really boring.
        Not to nit-pick but God resides "nigh unto Kolob," not on Kolob.

Boring is Utah in the winter, below 4,000 feet.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

New Era:

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1971/04/...orlds?lang=eng
          People on Other Worlds

Since Neal Armstrong stepped from the ladder of Intrepid II and placed his foot on the moon’s powdery surface, the human mind has turned with increasing interest and fascination to thoughts of outer space. Science fiction writers have suddenly become respectable.

Age-old questions again come to the surface: Is our earth the only world in all of space that has intelligent inhabitants? Or is there life on other worlds—perhaps intelligent beings like ourselves or maybe even more intelligent than ourselves? Might they visit us?
          […]

Ensign:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1973/01/w...space?lang=eng
          Warnings from Outer Space
          PRESIDENT N. ELDON TANNER

It is a privilege indeed, but a heavy responsibility, to address this vast audience in this historic Tabernacle and those who are listening in; and I humbly pray that the spirit and blessings of the Lord will attend us this lovely Sabbath morning.

Conditions in the world today have caused me to ponder over an editorial which I read recently. It states:

“A German astronomer believes that ‘the earth’s young civilization is now approaching its first great crisis because of its newly found powers of self-destruction,’ and ‘man’s best hope of avoiding disaster is to listen hard for radioed advice coming from far out in starry space.’

“Out there, somewhere, this scientist believes, is a wise old civilization that has survived many crises and is trying to warn the callow earth against the mistakes of its own youth.
          […]
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Since Neal Armstrong stepped from the ladder of Intrepid II and placed his foot on the moon’s powdery surface,
            Intrepid II????? That's pathetic. And that was written only 2 years after the event? "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
              Intrepid II????? That's pathetic. And that was written only 2 years after the event? "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

The USS Intrepid II (registry NCC-1730 or NCC-1708) was a Constitution-class Federation starship in service in the late 23rd century.
              […]
              http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/US...pid_(NCC-1730)

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Are you guys laughing at Mormonism or are you being serious?

If you're being serious about Kolob and so on, I want you to know that I think you are batty.
                That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                  Are you guys laughing at Mormonism or are you being serious?

If you're being serious about Kolob and so on, I want you to know that I think you are batty.
                  this is thread concept is kind of funny but I'm not surprised it was started by LA Ute. How many times has he used that pic of the sombrero galaxy in a religious context?
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    BTW, how much does someone need to spend on decent telescope that will allow them to get a pretty good views of Mars, Jupiter, nebulas and galaxies? I live in a place where I could probably get some pretty clear views (clean air, dark nights).
                    I think you would be happy with the following.

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/pro...ion%2Bjunction

You spend starting off about $2k, and can add focal reducers and barlow lenses, for field of view and magnifications adjustments. You won't see anything like what the Hubble produces, but smudges for galaxies and star clusters, but for planetary observation you can see quite a bit. Btw, what did you end up buying?
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                      My understanding is that Kolob is, well, like a giant crystal or someting. Sounds really boring.
                      Under the better late than never heading...

A crystal planet has got to have the best DL speeds in the universe. I'm betting a trillion gigabytes.

Did I just quote wally twice 3 years apart?
                      Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        Under the better late than never heading...

A crystal planet has got to have the best DL speeds in the universe. I'm betting a trillion gigabytes.
                        that has to be worth something.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          I think you would be happy with the following.

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/pro...ion%2Bjunction

You spend starting off about $2k, and can add focal reducers and barlow lenses, for field of view and magnifications adjustments. You won't see anything like what the Hubble produces, but smudges for galaxies and star clusters, but for planetary observation you can see quite a bit. Btw, what did you end up buying?

Now if you want to see planets orbiting other suns you would have to build something like this… and then put it in space:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_kas...h_like_planets

Astronomers believe that every star in the galaxy has a planet, one fifth of which might harbor life. Only we haven't seen any of them — yet. Jeremy Kasdin and his team are looking to change that with the design and engineering of an extraordinary piece of equipment: a flower petal-shaped "starshade" positioned 50,000 km from a telescope to enable imaging of planets about distant stars. It is, he says, the "coolest possible science."
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Now if you want to see planets orbiting other suns you would have to build something like this… and then put it in space:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_kas...h_like_planets
                            Hmmm. I want one of those.

Plus I want one of these. Some are almost affordable.

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

Comment

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6964

The Super-Earth that Came Home for Dinner

"
                              It might be lingering bashfully on the icy outer edges of our solar system, hiding in the dark, but subtly pulling strings behind the scenes: stretching out the orbits of distant bodies, perhaps even tilting the entire solar system to one side ... Breadcrumb number three: Computer simulations of the solar system with Planet Nine included show there should be more objects tilted with respect to the solar plane. In fact, the tilt would be on the order of 90 degrees, as if the plane of the solar system and these objects formed an "X" when viewed edge-on. Sure enough, Brown realized that five such objects already known to astronomers fill the bill."

Comment

Working...
                              X