Oahu. Wahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    If BYU makes the Final Four, there is a 100% chance I will be divorced before the championship, as my flight to the islands is Sunday April 3rd.

I have only seen the show Mav v. Food one time, when he was in Hawaii. Helena's Hawaiian Food looked fantastic. Has anyone every tried it out, or has other dining suggestions in the area?
    That's the same week we'll be there. Flying in April 4th.

Comment

Are you going with kids or just the Mrs.? Are you into dining/entertainment or are you into beach life or are you into sitting on the veranda watching the beautiful sunset?

As someone stated, the various hotels in the Ko'Olina complex are a nice place to just hang out but the entertainment options and dining options are fewer in Kapolei than they are in the Honolulu area. Roy's, in the Ko'Olina resort is good - great food but pricier. Hapa Grill in Kapolei is a good value - decent food and cheaper. You can get a week at Ko'Olina on redweek.com for dirt cheap.

That being said, the dining options in Ko'Olina/Kapolei are far better than what is available on the north shore. My parents had a condo at Turtle Beach and when I stayed there I would generally drive down to Kaneohe rather than eat at some of the north shore places (sorry, Laie boys - I love you all but plate lunches aren't my thing and Laie/Kahuku/Haleiwa just aren't known for their fine dining).

We've stayed in Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club many times with our kids and they think the small lagoons are lame - they wanted waves so we took them on day trips to the various north shore beaches. I like to go to Hukilau beach in Laie -less crowded than places like Waimea bay, big enough waves for my kids but not too big, showers to wash off the sand, picnic benches. It's a lengthy drive but it also gives you the chance to stop off and get pineapple sherbet or shave ice or shrimp on the way.

If you do stay in the Honolulu area, I've stayed at several different hotels on Waikiki and I'm not really a fan of the Waikiki experience - all hotels are overpriced with small rooms. The only reason to stay in Honolulu is because the dining/entertainment options are very plentiful if that's your thing. If I had to stay in Honolulu I would probably just stay at the new Marriott Courtyard downtown instead of a place on Waikiki.

Comment

Where do you go in Kaneohe? Patty's Chinese Kitchen at the Windward Mall?
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

(sorry, Laie boys - I love you all but plate lunches aren't my thing and Laie/Kahuku/Haleiwa just aren't known for their fine dining).
          Haleiwa Joe's is my favorite place on the island and Jamisons isn't bad either. I guess I don't care about fine dining.

Comment

Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
            Haleiwa Joe's is my favorite place on the island and Jamisons isn't bad either. I guess I don't care about fine dining.
            I like steak Wednesdays at the food land parking lot in Mililani town.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Some of you lo0sers might find this thread helpful.
              http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ghlight=boiled

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                Some of you lo0sers might find this thread helpful.
                http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ghlight=boiled
                This is excellent. Thanks for bringing it back.

Comment

I have never done the PCC before. Any recommendations on what package to purchase?

Also, does anyone have any snorkeling recommendations. When we've stayed on Maui in the past, we always enjoy the boat ride to Molokini. Since it is just my wife and I this time, I haven't made any plans other than golfing in the am and lounging on the beach in the afternoon. I fly out Sunday and my wife expects me to have some sort of itinerary for the week. I need some suggestions from the Hawaiiphiles on board.

Comment

If you have never done it before, then do it all....do the villages thing and see the boat parade, eat the dinner, and watch the show. Skip the super boring bus tour of laie, which is silly given that laie is about 5 blocks long and there is nothing to see besides the temple and the school...all within a couple of blocks of the PCC.

The pcc is fun to do once and without kids, you don't gave to worry about their getting bored during the different presentations.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I have never done the PCC before. Any recommendations on what package to purchase?

Also, does anyone have any snorkeling recommendations. When we've stayed on Maui in the past, we always enjoy the boat ride to Molokini. Since it is just my wife and I this time, I haven't made any plans other than golfing in the am and lounging on the beach in the afternoon. I fly out Sunday and my wife expects me to have some sort of itinerary for the week. I need some suggestions from the Hawaiiphiles on board.
                      My opinion on PCC:

The Admission/Show package is all you need. The food at the various luaus is OK but not worth the extra expense. Having a "personal ambassador" take you around doesn't add much value. The lei greetings, Deelite Dessert (a scoop of ice cream with some canned fruit cocktail on it) and all that other junk that comes with the more expensive packages are just that - junk.

Eat a big breakfast, get some snacks while you're there, and skip the dinners. If you don't have one of the dinner packages then there is about a 90 minute gap where most of the exhibits have closed for the day but it's not time to go to the show either. That gap is a great time to hit the IMAX theater.

Edit: I agree with Triplet about doing the boat parade and the villages and stuff - that is the best part of PCC. That and the night show.

No snorkeling recommendations - I haven't done much of it.

Comment

If BYU makes the Final Four, there is a 100% chance I will be divorced before the championship, as my flight to the islands is Sunday April 3rd.

I have only seen the show Mav v. Food one time, when he was in Hawaii. Helena's Hawaiian Food looked fantastic. Has anyone every tried it out, or has other dining suggestions in the area?
                        I have 3 things to say about this post.

1. Way to jinx BYU.

2. I am glad that listening to the words of the prophet mean nothing to a bishop, I now feel excused from ever caring about GC again.

3. If you want to do the Man v. Food Vegas challenge you better do it soon because the Sahara closes on May 16th.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          I have 3 things to say about this post.

1. Way to jinx BYU.

2. I am glad that listening to the words of the prophet mean nothing to a bishop, I now feel excused from ever caring about GC again.

3. If you want to do the Man v. Food Vegas challenge you better do it soon because the Sahara closes on May 16th.
                          1. I wasn't going to bring it up, but I did think it was very selfless of Jimmer to save my marriage. HFN, can attest to how I act, let alone dress, when my wife isn't around. If I was single, I would likely start hanging out with the type of guys who check out barely 18 YO waitresses

Jimmer= AV staying married and keeping the streets safe.

2. Yeah I'm cheap, it cost $150 less to flyout on Sunday then on Monday morning.

3. As I said, I've only seen the Man v. Food thing once. So I don't know if he is a quantity or a quality guy. Dying 5 years sooner isn't worth the badge of honor for finishing a Big Judd's-type meal, for me.

Comment

1. I wasn't going to bring it up, but I did think it was very selfless of Jimmer to save my marriage. HFN, can attest to how I act, let alone dress, when my wife isn't around. If I was single, I would likely start hanging out with the type of guys who check out barely 18 YO waitresses
                            I thought we decided the waitress was at best 16?
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

My mom is/was on one of the PCC postcards. Not sure if they still sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                I thought we decided the waitress was at best 16?
                                I was hoping I was misremembering that part. It is even creepier in retrospect, almost like taking pictures of the food.

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                My mom is/was on one of the PCC postcards. Not sure if they still sell it.
                                There are two conflicting suggestions above for the PCC. What does the island child suggest? Actually, I'm most interested in Katy's thoughts about what my wife might like to do on island.

Comment

Working...
                                X