Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oahu. Wahoo

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Default Oahu. Wahoo

My wife has backed out on another 3rd world vacation spot, but is up to a trip to Hawaii. We've always done Maui before but want to do the PCC and a few other things on Oahu. I hate crowds and especially hate crowds of tourists, so I don't want to ne anywhere near Waikiki. We are going to try and go the private house/condo rental route. What beach or part of the island will give us nice sand, relative quietness, but not so far in BFE we have to drive forever to eat or see attractions? We are going the first week in April, will the North Shore still have the big waves going? I don't particularly want to drown while body surfing or following DDD's recommendation and learning to surf.

Very timely AV. I'll be watching the answers with peaked interest.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

There are some pretty inexpensive condos for rent on the Turtle Bay property. It's more fun to stay in the hotel though. It's pretty centrally located for the stuff you want to do on the north shore.

It can still be big in April but if it were you wouldn't be getting out there anyway, so dont worry about drowning.

It is odd that you don't want to be touristy yet you go to Hawaii. Is there a more touristy place in the us besides Disneyland and NYC?

Body surfing is lame, only slightly less lame than sponging. Learn to surf. sorry just being honest!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    It can still be big in April but if it were you wouldn't be getting out there anyway, so dont worry about drowning.

It is odd that you don't want to be touristy yet you go to Hawaii. Is there a more touristy place in the us besides Disneyland and NYC?

Body surfing is lame, only slightly less lame than sponging. Learn to surf. sorry just being honest!
    I also hate most pasty white, take sports way too seriously, loud and obnoxious BYU fans and yet when I look in the mirror...

My wife and I are also planning a week in Hawaii at the beginning of April - already have the house rented in one of those towns on the north shore (I'd have to look it up to tell you which).

It has been years since either of us has been there - back when with our parents when we were children.

So I'm looking forward to the touristy things that I wouldn't have appreciated when I was a kid - like Pearl Harbor and Punch Bowl. We'll hit the PCC and the temple as well. And I've been looking at setting up some surf lessons just for kicks.

I'd love any suggestions for good places to eat. Particularly good places that aren't too pricey - don't want to break the bank eating, but do want to enjoy it.

A good friend of mine, a native Hawaiian, tells me Ko'Olina is the best place on Oahu. Anyone been there?

I have stayed at Turtle Bay condos a couple of times recetnyl and I am not a huge fan. The hotel is nice but I would not stay at the condos unless you absolutely had to be right by the PCC. Also, there is not much at turtle bay other than ther hotel, the condos and the PCC.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    A good friend of mine, a native Hawaiian, tells me Ko'Olina is the best place on Oahu. Anyone been there?
    Of course. It's nice if you're just looking to hang out and not do water sports. Man-made lagoons, no waves, etc. No that far from town, but a good jaunt out to the North Shore/PCC and such.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

If you stay at Turtle Bay you should go see my uncle play music. He's there at the bar/restaurant on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    If you stay at Turtle Bay you should go see my uncle play music. He's there at the bar/restaurant on the weekends.
    Real Uncle or Poly "uncle"?
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Real Uncle or Poly "uncle"?
    Both.

My little cousin that I've posted video of, it's his dad. My mom's older brother. He's a good entertainer.

I'm sure he would "have to work late" or would have some other "have to shampoo my hair" type excuse.

I'm sure he would "have to work late" or would have some other "have to shampoo my hair" type excuse.
    That is his work. He'll be there.

If BYU makes the Final Four, there is a 100% chance I will be divorced before the championship, as my flight to the islands is Sunday April 3rd.

I have only seen the show Mav v. Food one time, when he was in Hawaii. Helena's Hawaiian Food looked fantastic. Has anyone every tried it out, or has other dining suggestions in the area?

If BYU makes the Final Four, there is a 100% chance I will be divorced before the championship, as my flight to the islands is Sunday April 3rd.

I have only seen the show Mav v. Food one time, when he was in Hawaii. Helena's Hawaiian Food looked fantastic. Has anyone every tried it out, or has other dining suggestions in the area?
    That's the same week we'll be there. Flying in April 4th.

Are you going with kids or just the Mrs.? Are you into dining/entertainment or are you into beach life or are you into sitting on the veranda watching the beautiful sunset?

As someone stated, the various hotels in the Ko'Olina complex are a nice place to just hang out but the entertainment options and dining options are fewer in Kapolei than they are in the Honolulu area. Roy's, in the Ko'Olina resort is good - great food but pricier. Hapa Grill in Kapolei is a good value - decent food and cheaper. You can get a week at Ko'Olina on redweek.com for dirt cheap.

That being said, the dining options in Ko'Olina/Kapolei are far better than what is available on the north shore. My parents had a condo at Turtle Beach and when I stayed there I would generally drive down to Kaneohe rather than eat at some of the north shore places (sorry, Laie boys - I love you all but plate lunches aren't my thing and Laie/Kahuku/Haleiwa just aren't known for their fine dining).

We've stayed in Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club many times with our kids and they think the small lagoons are lame - they wanted waves so we took them on day trips to the various north shore beaches. I like to go to Hukilau beach in Laie -less crowded than places like Waimea bay, big enough waves for my kids but not too big, showers to wash off the sand, picnic benches. It's a lengthy drive but it also gives you the chance to stop off and get pineapple sherbet or shave ice or shrimp on the way.

If you do stay in the Honolulu area, I've stayed at several different hotels on Waikiki and I'm not really a fan of the Waikiki experience - all hotels are overpriced with small rooms. The only reason to stay in Honolulu is because the dining/entertainment options are very plentiful if that's your thing. If I had to stay in Honolulu I would probably just stay at the new Marriott Courtyard downtown instead of a place on Waikiki.

Where do you go in Kaneohe? Patty's Chinese Kitchen at the Windward Mall?

(sorry, Laie boys - I love you all but plate lunches aren't my thing and Laie/Kahuku/Haleiwa just aren't known for their fine dining).
    Haleiwa Joe's is my favorite place on the island and Jamisons isn't bad either. I guess I don't care about fine dining.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
    Haleiwa Joe's is my favorite place on the island and Jamisons isn't bad either. I guess I don't care about fine dining.
    I like steak Wednesdays at the food land parking lot in Mililani town.

Some of you lo0sers might find this thread helpful.
    http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ghlight=boiled

Some of you lo0sers might find this thread helpful.
    http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ghlight=boiled
    This is excellent. Thanks for bringing it back.

I have never done the PCC before. Any recommendations on what package to purchase?

Also, does anyone have any snorkeling recommendations. When we've stayed on Maui in the past, we always enjoy the boat ride to Molokini. Since it is just my wife and I this time, I haven't made any plans other than golfing in the am and lounging on the beach in the afternoon. I fly out Sunday and my wife expects me to have some sort of itinerary for the week. I need some suggestions from the Hawaiiphiles on board.

If you have never done it before, then do it all....do the villages thing and see the boat parade, eat the dinner, and watch the show. Skip the super boring bus tour of laie, which is silly given that laie is about 5 blocks long and there is nothing to see besides the temple and the school...all within a couple of blocks of the PCC.

The pcc is fun to do once and without kids, you don't gave to worry about their getting bored during the different presentations.

I have never done the PCC before. Any recommendations on what package to purchase?

Also, does anyone have any snorkeling recommendations. When we've stayed on Maui in the past, we always enjoy the boat ride to Molokini. Since it is just my wife and I this time, I haven't made any plans other than golfing in the am and lounging on the beach in the afternoon. I fly out Sunday and my wife expects me to have some sort of itinerary for the week. I need some suggestions from the Hawaiiphiles on board.
    My opinion on PCC:

The Admission/Show package is all you need. The food at the various luaus is OK but not worth the extra expense. Having a "personal ambassador" take you around doesn't add much value. The lei greetings, Deelite Dessert (a scoop of ice cream with some canned fruit cocktail on it) and all that other junk that comes with the more expensive packages are just that - junk.

Eat a big breakfast, get some snacks while you're there, and skip the dinners. If you don't have one of the dinner packages then there is about a 90 minute gap where most of the exhibits have closed for the day but it's not time to go to the show either. That gap is a great time to hit the IMAX theater.

Edit: I agree with Triplet about doing the boat parade and the villages and stuff - that is the best part of PCC. That and the night show.

No snorkeling recommendations - I haven't done much of it.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I have 3 things to say about this post.

1. Way to jinx BYU.

2. I am glad that listening to the words of the prophet mean nothing to a bishop, I now feel excused from ever caring about GC again.

3. If you want to do the Man v. Food Vegas challenge you better do it soon because the Sahara closes on May 16th.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I have 3 things to say about this post.

1. Way to jinx BYU.

2. I am glad that listening to the words of the prophet mean nothing to a bishop, I now feel excused from ever caring about GC again.

3. If you want to do the Man v. Food Vegas challenge you better do it soon because the Sahara closes on May 16th.
    1. I wasn't going to bring it up, but I did think it was very selfless of Jimmer to save my marriage. HFN, can attest to how I act, let alone dress, when my wife isn't around. If I was single, I would likely start hanging out with the type of guys who check out barely 18 YO waitresses

Jimmer= AV staying married and keeping the streets safe.

2. Yeah I'm cheap, it cost $150 less to flyout on Sunday then on Monday morning.

3. As I said, I've only seen the Man v. Food thing once. So I don't know if he is a quantity or a quality guy. Dying 5 years sooner isn't worth the badge of honor for finishing a Big Judd's-type meal, for me.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

1. I wasn't going to bring it up, but I did think it was very selfless of Jimmer to save my marriage. HFN, can attest to how I act, let alone dress, when my wife isn't around. If I was single, I would likely start hanging out with the type of guys who check out barely 18 YO waitresses
    I thought we decided the waitress was at best 16?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

My mom is/was on one of the PCC postcards. Not sure if they still sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I thought we decided the waitress was at best 16?
    I was hoping I was misremembering that part. It is even creepier in retrospect, almost like taking pictures of the food.

My mom is/was on one of the PCC postcards. Not sure if they still sell it.
    There are two conflicting suggestions above for the PCC. What does the island child suggest? Actually, I'm most interested in Katy's thoughts about what my wife might like to do on island.