Oahu. Wahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I was hoping I was misremembering that part. It is even creepier in retrospect, almost like taking pictures of the food.

There are two conflicting suggestions above for the PCC. What does the island child suggest? Actually, I'm most interested in Katy's thoughts about what my wife might like to do on island.
    I was about 12 the last time I was there. I had a blast as a 12 year old. It was fun going from village to village, weaving hats and stuff out of palm fronds, mashing taro root to make poi, learning a haka, or dancing with poi balls. Seeing the canoe pageant was cool. My dad was King Kamehameha back in the day when he was going to BYU-HI. Anyway, that's my recollection as a kid visiting PCC.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Here is what I remember about the PCC canoe parade.....Tahiti.

Ignore everything else.

Tahiti is money, though. Bring your video camera.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Here is what I remember about the PCC canoe parade.....Tahiti.

Ignore everything else.

Tahiti is money, though. Bring your video camera.
        Tahitian is awesome. We had a sister in our mission who was half Tongan and incredibly attractive. She danced Tahitian once and after that the MP said no more much to the dismay of the Elders.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

I was hoping I was misremembering that part. It is even creepier in retrospect, almost like taking pictures of the food.

There are two conflicting suggestions above for the PCC. What does the island child suggest? Actually, I'm most interested in Katy's thoughts about what my wife might like to do on island.
          To be honest, I can't even remember what really goes down there. The last time I went was probably 8 years ago, and we just visited the villages on our own and then did the dinner and night show. The night show was always cool, but last time I was in Hawai'i my family was telling me they re-did it and they were all bitching about it. Can't remember why.

The canoe parade is also cool, my mom danced Tahitian on that one back in the day.

The last time I was at PCC my cousin was an instructor/dancer at the Hawaiian village. Out of the 12 grandkids on my mom's side, she and I are the whitest by about a factor of about 10. It always made me laugh thinking about the tourists there walking into the Hawaiian village and getting a pale ass kid with blues eyes as their instructor.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Tahitian is awesome. We had a sister in our mission who was half Tongan and incredibly attractive. She danced Tahitian once and after that the MP said no more much to the dismay of the Elders.
            wise idea from your MP. I shocked he allowed it in the first place. That stuff is freaking mesmerizing....I am convinced that when the Nephites sent out their daughters to pacify the Lamanites, they sent out a bunch of girls from the PCC to do the Tahiti stuff.

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            my mom danced Tahitian on that one back in the day.

sigpic

Comment

wise idea from your MP. I shocked he allowed it in the first place. That stuff is freaking mesmerizing....I am convinced that when the Nephites sent out their daughters to pacify the Lamanites, they sent out a bunch of girls from the PCC to do the Tahiti stuff.

Actually, the postcard she was on was her dancing Tahitian during the canoe parade. She didn't even know about the postcard until about maybe ten years ago (they were still selling it at PPC at the time), and for her b-day my dad had it blown up and framed. It's on a wall in a staircase in my parents house.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Actually, the postcard she was on was her dancing Tahitian during the canoe parade. She didn't even know about the postcard until about maybe ten years ago (they were still selling it at PPC at the time), and for her b-day my dad had it blown up and framed. It's on a wall in a staircase in my parents house.
                I might will definitely look for the postcard when I go to the PCC next week.

sigpic

Comment

I was a little worried, then I remember you saying you are the black white sheep of the family and look nothing like your mom. Whewwwww.

Comment

I was hoping I was misremembering that part. It is even creepier in retrospect
                    She was not a day under 17 years and 9 months. Also, she was the hostess, not a waitress.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It was a ward/stake function where this sister danced. She never told the MP who was present that she would be dancing and what. He didn't make a big deal about it, just pulled her aside sometime after that and told her that it was great, but not appropriate for a missionary to be doing and not to dance anymore. It didn't help that she oiled her self up before the performance. I guess she still thought she was with Living Legends. Not that I minded.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Our powered hang-gliding experience was the most fun and memorable thing we’ve done on Oahu. Paradise Air (company website is linked here) is operated by a married couple who have been doing this for years and they’re both excellent. It’s pricey ($175 for a 30-minute flight, $225 for 45 mins., and $275 for an hour). We each did a 45-minute flight and enjoyed it immensely, although a 30-minute flight would still be great.

A video camera is constantly going on one wingtip, a still camera is running on the other. After you land, you can buy DVDs containing the photos or the video ($60 for either, $95 for both). Absolutely no pressure to buy either, but after what we had just experienced, we both had to buy them.

And despite the daredevil appearance, it’s really very safe. They haven’t had an accident or even a malfunction in the many years they’ve been doing this. Because of some weird regulations, they save a lot of licensing fees and other costs by selling trips as flying lessons, and in fact you spend part of the time (as much or as little as you want) steering the thing, but takeoffs and landings are done by the pilot. Throughout the flight, you can ask questions and the pilot provides as much or as little information (historical, geographical, meterological, etc.) as you want. We went up at the same time and we could see each other most of the time, but never got very close, which is probably a good thing...

Sorry if I've posted these before, but here's a shot of the northwestern tip of Oahu; I'm the one steering the thing at this point.
                        Oahu 1.jpg

Note the rainbow. You can't see it well here, but in the air, rainbows are full circles
                        Oahu2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Our powered hang-gliding experience was the most fun and memorable thing we’ve done on Oahu. Paradise Air (company website is linked here) is operated by a married couple who have been doing this for years and they’re both excellent. It’s pricey ($175 for a 30-minute flight, $225 for 45 mins., and $275 for an hour). We each did a 45-minute flight and enjoyed it immensely, although a 30-minute flight would still be great.
                          Just booked my reservation for this. Thanks for the tip pac.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Just booked my reservation for this. Thanks for the tip pac.
                            Luckeeeee.... When are you going?

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              Luckeeeee.... When are you going?
                              We leave in a week. Will be doing the sunrise flight on Saturday
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                              X