No announcement yet.

Great Cycling Vacations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A much more rational ride would be to ride the Danube. From source to mouth is ~3000 km (1800 miles), Black Forest to Black Sea - all of it with bike paths/low traffic roads. We had neighbors in TX that did it in 3 weeks and they weren't really even bike riders.

And it's downhill...

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
      A much more rational ride would be to ride the Danube. From source to mouth is ~3000 km (1800 miles), Black Forest to Black Sea - all of it with bike paths/low traffic roads. We had neighbors in TX that did it in 3 weeks and they weren't really even bike riders.

And it's downhill...
      But what's the challenge of a wimp ride?

Comment

Nuts. I've received an invitation to participate in this year's La Look, a competitive century in France in May. We had an absolutely wonderful time last year, and we'd love to return, but circumstances, not to mention $$$, preclude that. In addition to the usual guest stars (Hinault, Jalabert, etc.), Florian Rousseau will join the fun. Perhaps not coincidentally, given that Rousseau is a three-time gold medal winner and repeat world champion in track racing, this year's ride begins with a lap around the Magny-Cours F1 race track near Nevers, and then heads out into the gorgeous French countryside, ending with a long stretch along the Loire. It would fun to go back, but Mrs. PAC and I will defer to at least next year. I'd love for others to go (I can get you in!) and we could swap stories.

BTW, as balm for missing out on this, I've pretty much decided to go on three weeks of road trips to the Mississippi, Texas and Utah games.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

The Stelvio climb would be epic.
          Looks fun:
          [YOUTUBE]EZm8VFCKNj4&start=171[/YOUTUBE]
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Nuts. I've received an invitation to participate in this year's La Look, a competitive century in France in May. We had an absolutely wonderful time last year, and we'd love to return, but circumstances, not to mention $$$, preclude that. In addition to the usual guest stars (Hinault, Jalabert, etc.), Florian Rousseau will join the fun. Perhaps not coincidentally, given that Rousseau is a three-time gold medal winner and repeat world champion in track racing, this year's ride begins with a lap around the Magny-Cours F1 race track near Nevers, and then heads out into the gorgeous French countryside, ending with a long stretch along the Loire. It would fun to go back, but Mrs. PAC and I will defer to at least next year. I'd love for others to go(I can get you in!) and we could swap stories.

BTW, as balm for missing out on this, I've pretty much decided to go on three weeks of road trips to the Mississippi, Texas and Utah games.
            Woah, really? Might have to start saving....

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              No kidding. July sucks for traveling for me so sassinator & I have been talking about going to see the Paris-Nice next year instead of the TdF. PAC has a good thing going for him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                Well, yeah, but since it's open to general public, you don't need to be impressed. That said, I'm certain I could set up a meet and greet with the Directeur General of Look and with the French cycling stars.

Comment

The missus and I would like to do another cycling vacation, however, so pass along other recommendations if you have them.
                  There are a lot of good organized rides in Oregon. One in particular is the Reach the Beach event put on by the American Lung Association. There are different starting points, so you can ride to to your fitness level.

A good resource for rides in Oregon is orbike.com.
                  When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                    There are a lot of good organized rides in Oregon. One in particular is the Reach the Beach event put on by the American Lung Association. There are different starting points, so you can ride to to your fitness level.

A good resource for rides in Oregon is orbike.com.
                    Brutus, welcome to The Bike Shop (in truth, this board's raison d'etre). For the past couple of years, some of us have gathered for group rides in Utah, California (Lake Tahoe) and Oregon. Last summer's CUF ride began and ended in Bend, and consisted of a 85-mile or so ride up and around Mt. Bachelor, and was catered by HuskyFreeNorthwest (who also managed to ride the thing). Within the next couple of weeks, we'll decide on the 2011 CUF ride which will likely be the first weekend in August. Hope you're a cyclist and can join us. Check out the thread in this forum for the details.

Comment

Brutus, welcome to The Bike Shop (in truth, this board's raison d'etre). For the past couple of years, some of us have gathered for group rides in Utah, California (Lake Tahoe) and Oregon. Last summer's CUF ride began and ended in Bend, and consisted of a 85-mile or so ride up and around Mt. Bachelor, and was catered by HuskyFreeNorthwest (who also managed to ride the thing). Within the next couple of weeks, we'll decide on the 2011 CUF ride which will likely be the first weekend in August. Hope you're a cyclist and can join us. Check out the thread in this forum for the details.
                      Thanks. I would love to join the ride; however, I have yet to purchase a road bike. I do a lot of mountain biking and would like to get a road bike, but my wife is always hiding my money. Nevertheless, I'm sure I can arrange the use of a bike for a few days somehow.
                      When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Working...
                      X