Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New troubles for Lance

He seems to survive all of these, but here's more smoke:

Report: Lance Armstrong alleged to test positive for EPO; other test results tossed - ESPN

Former teammate Steven Swart alleges that Lance Armstrong instigated Motorola team use of the banned blood-booster EPO and that the seven-time Tour de France winner tested above legal limits during the Tour in 1995, according to a report posted on Sports Illustrated's website Tuesday.

SI also reports that Armstrong tested over the testosterone-epitestosterone ratio limit three times in UCLA drug testing, but each test was dismissed by officials. Armstrong says he has never used performance-enhancing drugs and has never been informed he has tested positive.

The story also challenges Armstrong's statements that he cut ties to a controversial Italian doctor and training adviser who has long been accused of helping cyclists cheat.

Without naming its source, SI says that when Italian authorities raided the home of Armstrong teammate Yaroslav Popovych last November in Italy, they found texts and e-mails linking Armstrong's team with Dr. Michele Ferrari as recently as 2009.

No way LA comes back and does these last two TDF dirty and he came in third in the first one as an old man which was proof enough for me that he could have won the others clean. If they haven't found anything by now they aren't going to.

Comment

I don't know how to take these allegations. While I'll never be shocked about an athlete cheating or doping for an advantage, when it comes to LA, it's almost like a witch hunt, and they won't stop until they have blood, tainted with EPO in this case.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

is there any other athlete for whom accusations of doping could matter less? after i heard this report earlier today, i watched one of my all-time favorite commercials 5-6 times:

[youtube]gWBTNPTAJTc[/youtube]

how much has livestrong raised? $350 million? lance could roll up to the '11 tdf with a costco sized box of hypodermic needles and gatorade bottle of hgh for all i care.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
          A couple of comments. First, the reference to LA in 1995 being "above legal limits" is not very clear. Swart contends LA's hematocrit level was higher than 50, which would be a violation now, but I am not sure it was then. The testing Swart is referring to is, as I understand it, is in-house Motorola testing, not third party drug control tests. So, even if what Swart says is true, it might not have been a violation, and there was never a positive EPO test then (they didn't even have an EPO test then). Interestingly, he is also talking about 1995, which is pre-cancer and not a tour that LA won.

The UCLA drug testing involves samples take from LA during TdF's that were analyzed by the guy at UCLA (whose name escapes me right now) who is one of the guru's of drug testing. He signed on to help the UCI and the US assoc. use more rigorous drug testing protocols. He identified three samples, as I recall, where the testosterone/epitestosterone ratios were marginally indicative of doping. There was no clear indication of synthetic testosterone, as I understand it (unlike Landis) and more importantly, the ratio was NOT replicated when B samples were tested. So it is apparently true, but not very meaningful.

It appears that the Italians did find links between Popo and Ferrari and indications that the TEAM was still consulting Ferrari. I haven't seen anything that directly shows LA was using Ferrari after 2005 or so. OTOH, it is pretty silly to imagine that anything happened on any of LA's teams without his knowledge. But even so, no direct evidence.

I am left with the impression that LA was either cheating or pushing it right to the line. Of course, most others (if not all of them) were too. I am also saddened that I have learned so much about drug use and drug testing as a result of being a cycling fan.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I am also saddened that I have learned so much about drug use and drug testing as a result of being a cycling fan.
            Any suggestions for a fifty one year old guy that wants to be a little faster and keep up with young riders?

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              Any suggestions for a fifty one year old guy that wants to be a little faster and keep up with young riders?
              http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...video/58059908
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                I don't know how to take these allegations. While I'll never be shocked about an athlete cheating or doping for an advantage, when it comes to LA, it's almost like a witch hunt, and they won't stop until they have blood, tainted with EPO in this case.
                I wonder how much of the "witch hunt" is in response to LA very aggressively going after those that have claimed he's doped in the past.

He will be exposed in the end, which will be sad. His close association with Ferrari should be enough for all of us to be very suspicious. I think it's only a matter of time.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

On the flip side it seems like the doping commission has it out for LA. Maybe they are skewing the results. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    is there any other athlete for whom accusations of doping could matter less? after i heard this report earlier today, i watched one of my all-time favorite commercials 5-6 times:

[youtube]gWBTNPTAJTc[/youtube]

how much has livestrong raised? $350 million? lance could roll up to the '11 tdf with a costco sized box of hypodermic needles and gatorade bottle of hgh for all i care.
                    Sad how often we see that young people think cheating doesn't matter. Yes, it matters if LA cheated, I don't care if he had cancer or who else did it.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      Sad how often we see that young people think cheating doesn't matter. Yes, it matters if LA cheated, I don't care if he had cancer or who else did it.
                      well call me corianton. at least you are in good company with the honorable elder oaks, brother su. i hope this is your first step back to the fold.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

SI came out with this detailed report. I'm indifferent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...44/1/index.htm
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          WHy is this true? If everyone else did it (assume for a moment) why does it matter? Does it matter that some cyclists (but not all) were taking stimulants in the 60s beofre they were banned? Are their results intrinsically flawed or less worthy? WHy does it necessarily matter, in this instance?
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                            SI came out with this detailed report. I'm indifferent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...44/1/index.htm
                            This report is not very impressive to me. It recycles several old stories, gets some imoprtant details wrong and relies on information about LA pre-cancer, for the most part. it simply doesnt shed much light on the situation.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              This report is not very impressive to me. It recycles several old stories, gets some imoprtant details wrong and relies on information about LA pre-cancer, for the most part. it simply doesnt shed much light on the situation.
                              I kind of felt the same, it adds fuel to the fire and if you haven't kept up on the story then it seems damning, but it's not much.
                              Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                              X