Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Duct cleaning

  1. #1
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,346

    Default Duct cleaning

    I saw our neighbor just had a Duct cleaning company come over and clean all of the ducts in their house. Is it worth it? I have a feeling that it has not been done on our house in 30 years. Will the air be cleaning...furnace and AC be more efficient? Cost? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    I saw our neighbor just had a Duct cleaning company come over and clean all of the ducts in their house. Is it worth it? I have a feeling that it has not been done on our house in 30 years. Will the air be cleaning...furnace and AC be more efficient? Cost? Thoughts?
    30 years?!?

    I would definitely have it done. Especially if you or your family have asthma or allergies, it can make a big difference in the quality of your air.

  3. #3
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    52,766

    Default

    Dude your house has a ton of problems. Now maybe you can understand why I dont want to move in.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  4. #4
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    30 years?!?

    I would definitely have it done. Especially if you or your family have asthma or allergies, it can make a big difference in the quality of your air.
    I actually have no idea how long its been as we have only lived in the house for a few years. Allergies can be an issue for us, so maybe its worth a shot.


    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Dude your house has a ton of problems. Now maybe you can understand why I dont want to move in.

    YOUR HOUSE HAS A TON OF PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    I always thought a duct-cleaning business would be a great one to start. You take a ladder into someone's house, stick a shop-vac up into the ductwork, and bang it around for an hour or so. Then you say their ducts are now clean, and charge them $500. How are they going to know? Does anyone actually go in with a white glove to see how clean their ducts are?

  6. #6

    Default

    Don't do it. I don't want to go into details, but just trust me on this one.

  7. #7
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    52,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I always thought a duct-cleaning business would be a great one to start. You take a ladder into someone's house, stick a shop-vac up into the ductwork, and bang it around for an hour or so. Then you say their ducts are now clean, and charge them $500. How are they going to know? Does anyone actually go in with a white glove to see how clean their ducts are?
    This sounds like proctology without the medical degree.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  8. #8
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,696

    Default

    We are having our ducts cleaned this Friday. We got one of those val-pak coupons for some service that charges $7.99 per duct. Not sure how many ducts I have. I expect it to be about $100 or so when its all said and done.

    I'm also having my water softener installed today. I'm thinking about having my garage door replaced next week.

  9. #9
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    We are having our ducts cleaned this Friday. We got one of those val-pak coupons for some service that charges $7.99 per duct. Not sure how many ducts I have. I expect it to be about $100 or so when its all said and done.

    How was the duct cleaning. I decided against it, but I am curious as to whether or not you felt it was worth it.

  10. #10
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    52,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    How was the duct cleaning. I decided against it, but I am curious as to whether or not you felt it was worth it.
    Good call. I would wait until around the 50 year mark to clean out all that dust.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  11. #11
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Good call. I would wait until around the 50 year mark to clean out all that dust.

    Hmmm, I was hoping 60 year mark. That would be about right. But, I don't want have to do it in another 60 years, so if it can last a little longer, I would be pleased.

  12. #12
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    How was the duct cleaning. I decided against it, but I am curious as to whether or not you felt it was worth it.
    It was .... more expensive than I thought. We still did it, but those ducts add up at $8 a piece. So far, I'm not sure I notice much difference, but I'm not the one with asthma. The guy did show us all sorts of crap that was in there. There's a lot of crap that gets into ducts, even in a fairly new house. Just think of all the garbage that's in your 50 year old place!

    I will probably do it again in 4 or 5 years.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    I can only think of one explanation for why this thread keeps popping up to the top of The Fuse Box... some people are mistaking 'duct cleaning' to be a euphemism for 'changing one's own oil.'

  14. #14
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    I can only think of one explanation for why this thread keeps popping up to the top of The Fuse Box... some people are mistaking 'duct cleaning' to be a euphemism for 'changing one's own oil.'
    A euphemism for a euphemism? Or are you actually talking about changing one's oil?

  15. #15
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    52,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnyharman View Post
    The term "air duct cleaning" generally refers to the work performed by companies that clean HVAC systems, Which is a misnomer because it implies that only duct work is cleaned. Now-a-days, Many companies provides duct cleaning services at affordable prices. Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.
    lol. The only "people" reading UteStar's posts these days are bots.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  16. #16
    <><><><><><><><> wally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In my wife's house, at her beckon call.
    Posts
    2,814

    Default

    EPA says:

    http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

    You should consider having the air ducts in your home cleaned if:

    There is substantial visible mold growth inside hard surface (e.g., sheet metal) ducts or on other components of your heating and cooling system. There are several important points to understand concerning mold detection in heating and cooling systems:

    •Many sections of your heating and cooling system may not be accessible for a visible inspection, so ask the service provider to show you any mold they say exists.
    •You should be aware that although a substance may look like mold, a positive determination of whether it is mold or not can be made only by an expert and may require laboratory analysis for final confirmation. For about $50, some microbiology laboratories can tell you whether a sample sent to them on a clear strip of sticky household tape is mold or simply a substance that resembles it.
    •If you have insulated air ducts and the insulation gets wet or moldy it cannot be effectively cleaned and should be removed and replaced.
    •If the conditions causing the mold growth in the first place are not corrected, mold growth will recur.

    Ducts are infested with vermin, e.g. (rodents or insects); or
    Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris and/or particles are actually released into the home from your supply registers.

  17. #17
    Stepping Razor wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    24,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vansmin View Post
    Generally, The term "air duct cleaning" refers to the work performed by companies that clean HVAC systems, which is a misnomer because it implies that only duct work is cleaned. Now-a-days, Many companies provide the duct cleaning services at affordable prices. What is the minimum price should they charge for duct cleaning service ?
    Maybe $5-$10 an hour?
    "LDS people need to lighten up and not take religion so seriously." --CardiacCoug
    "[...]
    liberals tend to take the moral teachings of the New Testament literally and the stories figuratively while conservatives do the opposite." -- Harry Tic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •