Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 85

Thread: The building a new home thread

  1. #31
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    I've posted this somewhere else I think, but back in the day I came across a fireplace that had this cool fan system built into it. It was a really upgraded looking hearth, full stone build out, the whole deal. The fan system was electronic. It basically blew out the heated air from the fireplace, but obviously did not blow out any of the soot or smoke. Iirc, the fans/vents were actually just below the fireplace, not in the fireplace itself, so perhaps the fire heated the compartment just below it and then the fans blew out the air.

    You could control the velocity of the air and have it just trickle out, but it was really fantastic. Most fireplaces warm up the immediate vicinity, but with these fans, the fireplace genuinely warmed up the entire room. It was great. However, it was the only time I ever saw such a fireplace. Has anyone else ever seen this?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  2. #32
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I've posted this somewhere else I think, but back in the day I came across a fireplace that had this cool fan system built into it. It was a really upgraded looking hearth, full stone build out, the whole deal. The fan system was electronic. It basically blew out the heated air from the fireplace, but obviously did not blow out any of the soot or smoke. Iirc, the fans/vents were actually just below the fireplace, not in the fireplace itself, so perhaps the fire heated the compartment just below it and then the fans blew out the air.

    You could control the velocity of the air and have it just trickle out, but it was really fantastic. Most fireplaces warm up the immediate vicinity, but with these fans, the fireplace genuinely warmed up the entire room. It was great. However, it was the only time I ever saw such a fireplace. Has anyone else ever seen this?
    It is the same idea they use with gas fireplace. The fire heats up a box and the air in the space surrounding the box and the warm air is then blown into the room.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I've posted this somewhere else I think, but back in the day I came across a fireplace that had this cool fan system built into it. It was a really upgraded looking hearth, full stone build out, the whole deal. The fan system was electronic. It basically blew out the heated air from the fireplace, but obviously did not blow out any of the soot or smoke. Iirc, the fans/vents were actually just below the fireplace, not in the fireplace itself, so perhaps the fire heated the compartment just below it and then the fans blew out the air.

    You could control the velocity of the air and have it just trickle out, but it was really fantastic. Most fireplaces warm up the immediate vicinity, but with these fans, the fireplace genuinely warmed up the entire room. It was great. However, it was the only time I ever saw such a fireplace. Has anyone else ever seen this?
    I have one in my house.
    *Banned*

  4. #34
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I have one in my house.
    you do? i'll have to check that out
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  5. #35
    אלוף NorthwestUteFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    Great suggestion. Also, if you're doing a home theater, insulate all the walls, not just the exterior ones for the same reason. You can of course go far beyond that when it comes to soundproofing but that is something cheap and easy to do.
    Sometimes the only way to make sexy time is to plop the kids in front of the TV and hope they don't get curious...

  6. #36
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    It is the same idea they use with gas fireplace. The fire heats up a box and the air in the space surrounding the box and the warm air is then blown into the room.
    do gas fireplaces have fans? In the homes we had in OC, they lacked fans.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  7. #37
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    do gas fireplaces have fans? In the homes we had in OC, they lacked fans.
    Yes, most do.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  8. #38
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Yes, most do.
    we got ripped off with our 2 fireplaces.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  9. #39
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    we got ripped off with our 2 fireplaces.
    What did you need 2 fireplaces for in OC?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  10. #40
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,897

    Default

    I should say, I am not sure most do (in my experience they do), but many do. You can buy a blower or fan kit to add to many gas fireplaces that don't have one.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  11. #41
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    What did you need 2 fireplaces for in OC?
    We only needed one, but we had two different homes total while in OC. Both were gas fireplace, neither had any sort of fan.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  12. #42
    אלוף NorthwestUteFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I should say, I am not sure most do (in my experience they do), but many do. You can buy a blower or fan kit to add to many gas fireplaces that don't have one.

    I added one to my fireplace in New England. The fan and temp sensor were mounted magnetically to the firebox. The fan speed knob/switch screwed in to an existing bracket. Then the whole unit plugged in to the outlet.

    Installation took about 5 minutes, tops. Fans are a HUGE improvement! Without the fan the area immediately around the fireplace gets very hot but the rest of the room doesn't change much. With the fan the whole room, plus the two adjacent were noticibly hotter. (Most homes in New England have forced hot water heat, so the air doesn't circulate as it would with a forced air HVAC)

    The fan cost ~$130 or so. It was similar to this:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Blower-National-Heatilator-Replacement/dp/B000IGCBXK/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1295387017&sr=1-14"]Amazon.com: Fireplace Blower for Regency, National Gas, Travis, Heatilator; Rotom Replacement # R7-RB39: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/211oEAolvJL.@@AMEPARAM@@211oEAolvJL[/ame]

  13. #43
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    A lot of it has already been said, and I will be echo-ing what has been said:

    Basement - dig out window wells, and put in big windows. Make those ceilings 10 footers. My sister in law has it and the basement feels awesome. Totally worth it.

    Kitchen - we did this and initially I thought it was overkill...we have a lot of counter space but it has worked out great. Don't skimp on it.

    Get rid of useless rooms. I see a lot of new homes that always have 1 crap room. It is usually just off the front door. I have seen it done two ways - 1 is a study and that, from what I have seen, is used a lot. Another is a sitting type room, that is never used.

    Laundry Room - do it nice and give yourself space, but don't make it huge. I have seen some large useless laundry rooms which end up just giving more space to be messier than ever.

    Mudrooms - if you want it, cool...but don't make it too large or you have the same problem with it just being more space to get messy. I have seen lockers done here for kids and it was awesome and kept it semi-organized.

    Heated floors is genius. I thought about getting a central vac...but I wonder if I should have done it when we had the chance. Those with it - has it been worth it?

  14. #44
    אלוף NorthwestUteFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post

    I thought about getting a central vac...but I wonder if I should have done it when we had the chance. Those with it - has it been worth it?
    My parents have it (26+ yrs now, and 4 yrs in previous house)

    Pros: The suction is great. They have a cool 'dustpan alternative' feature under the cabinet, so Mom sweeps the kitchen, flips a switch, and brooms the dirt into the outlet (No dustpan/dustbin needed). It is lighter than the big old vacuums. No vacuum bags needed.

    Cons: the cars get DIRTY. Dumping the dirt bin is MESSY and DUSTY. The thing is NOISY (almost painfully loud in the garage). Hauling that long hose all over the house can be challenging, and dragging the hose around a corner WILL rip off the paint/wallpaper from the wall and mouldings (and even the joint compound sometimes). The hose and attachments are much heavier than the new lighter vacuums. If you suck up a pencil, toy part, popsicle stick, etc longer than a certain length it will make it through the hose and the first angle, but can get stuck in the wall and will then rattle every time you turn on the vacuum.

    Honestly, if I had $1500 to spend on a vacuum I would get a pair of Miele, Sebo, or similar quality vacuums and skip the central vac completely.

  15. #45
    Living in the Past ... FMCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Satan's Bubble
    Posts
    6,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    My parents have it (26+ yrs now, and 4 yrs in previous house)

    Pros: The suction is great. They have a cool 'dustpan alternative' feature under the cabinet, so Mom sweeps the kitchen, flips a switch, and brooms the dirt into the outlet (No dustpan/dustbin needed). It is lighter than the big old vacuums. No vacuum bags needed.

    Cons: the cars get DIRTY. Dumping the dirt bin is MESSY and DUSTY. The thing is NOISY (almost painfully loud in the garage). Hauling that long hose all over the house can be challenging, and dragging the hose around a corner WILL rip off the paint/wallpaper from the wall and mouldings (and even the joint compound sometimes). The hose and attachments are much heavier than the new lighter vacuums. If you suck up a pencil, toy part, popsicle stick, etc longer than a certain length it will make it through the hose and the first angle, but can get stuck in the wall and will then rattle every time you turn on the vacuum.

    Honestly, if I had $1500 to spend on a vacuum I would get a pair of Miele, Sebo, or similar quality vacuums and skip the central vac completely.
    I tend to agree with this. We have had Central Vac in 3 homes, including the current one. It seems lie we have to have the guy out at least quarterly to clear the pipes inside the wall of something the kids hav vacuumed up. Sometimes it gets totally plugged up. The dustpan in the kitchen is very useful. Also when my wife cuts my hair it makes the cleanup a snap. But we have a regular vacuum that gets used just about as much as the central vac for floors.

  16. #46
    Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Free State of Nickajack
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Holy shit, many of you have a lot of money.

  17. #47
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    There has been some great advice here so I am only going to add one thing. Don't forget the invisible stuff. The engineering if you will. When we built our home, our upgrades were much more weighted towards insulation, 2x6 vs. 2x4 construction, efficient HVAC system, the foundation, etc. Only then did we do things like hardwood floors, etc.
    Amen. The 2x6 vs 2x4 thing seems so trivial, but in a place like Utah with extreme high and low temps, 2x6 with proper insulation makes a HUGE difference. Also, it is so much quieter.

  18. #48
    Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Standing On Corner, Minding Own Business
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quick bump.

    So we've got a house plan and builder, financing and lot (being surveyed and recorded as we speak).

    This thread was pretty useful to us. Basically, we're going with a sweet kitchen and great room, large amount of storage in 3 car garage, with radiant heating throughout the house.

    Any further ideas before our plans are final?
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

  19. #49
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    I love the idea of the radiant heat. I would like to see a floor plan of the home. I still have the prints from a few of my favorite homes that we built and I peruse them. Sometimes to remininsce of the good ol' days of working with Surfah and others to dream of what I would like to build someday for my wife (if I am ever fortunate to do so). Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  20. #50
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Are you going radiant heating for the driveway? I don't know where you live so it may be a non issue. I wish we had it at our pad.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  21. #51
    Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Standing On Corner, Minding Own Business
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Are you going radiant heating for the driveway? I don't know where you live so it may be a non issue. I wish we had it at our pad.
    New Mexico. Probably not enough snow to justify the expense.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

  22. #52
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    New Mexico. Probably not enough snow to justify the expense.
    Agreed. Just a thought. Depending on how things go this winter, I am considering ripping out the driveway and having it installed here. It is costly, though, so then again I might just invest in that cool blue snow shovel I saw at costco this weekend. $20.

    Also, did you go with central vac? We have it and while I like it overall, there are issues. It isn't a perfect solution, then again nothing is, I suppose.

    Have fun with the new house. Sounds exciting.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  23. #53
    Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Standing On Corner, Minding Own Business
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Also, did you go with central vac? We have it and while I like it overall, there are issues. It isn't a perfect solution, then again nothing is, I suppose.

    Have fun with the new house. Sounds exciting.
    No central vac. My wife wasn't interested and I don't care either way.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

  24. #54
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Agreed. Just a thought. Depending on how things go this winter, I am considering ripping out the driveway and having it installed here. It is costly, though, so then again I might just invest in that cool blue snow shovel I saw at costco this weekend. $20.

    Also, did you go with central vac? We have it and while I like it overall, there are issues. It isn't a perfect solution, then again nothing is, I suppose.

    Have fun with the new house. Sounds exciting.
    I saw the same cool blue (clear polycarbonate plastic) shovel and tried to convince Gidget we needed it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  25. #55
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I saw the same cool blue (clear polycarbonate plastic) shovel and tried to convince Gidget we needed it.
    That is the one! Even the handle was rad.

    It will be mine. In fact, I'm going today to buy it. Nothing like buying something that will immediately be put away and not used for awhile.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  26. #56
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Quick bump.

    So we've got a house plan and builder, financing and lot (being surveyed and recorded as we speak).

    This thread was pretty useful to us. Basically, we're going with a sweet kitchen and great room, large amount of storage in 3 car garage, with radiant heating throughout the house.

    Any further ideas before our plans are final?
    I'm telling you master bath urinal.

    Other than that good luck with building. Due to some family issues I think ldc and I will probably be moving from our current house in the next 6 months or so, ldc really wanted to build but I don't think it will work in our current situation. I think we will just look for a home to buy. I am excited to hear updates of your progress.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  27. #57
    aka Benito Hazard thesaint258's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    My castle!
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Nothing like buying something that will immediately be put away and not used for awhile.
    We hope.
    Not that, sickos.

  28. #58
    No pun intended filsdepac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I'm telling you master bath urinal.

    Other than that good luck with building. Due to some family issues I think ldc and I will probably be moving from our current house in the next 6 months or so, ldc really wanted to build but I don't think it will work in our current situation. I think we will just look for a home to buy. I am excited to hear updates of your progress.
    You never posted a pic, I'm curious how it is situated with everything else.

  29. #59
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by filsdepac View Post
    You never posted a pic, I'm curious how it is situated with everything else.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  30. #60
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Where do you buy your urinal cakes?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •