The building a new home thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The building a new home thread

My wife and I are going to be moving to our hometown in the next 18 months. We have our choice of lots on some property a little ways out of town. Once we pick it out, we'll get it surveyed, deeded, and then we'll be ready to go.

My brother in law is a contractor, and will be building it for us. It'll (hopefully) be the home I die in, so I want to get it right the first time. I have several things that I'd really like to do:

- master bedroom/kitchen/office/ultility room all on main floor
    - in ground heating, maybe solar if feasable
    - a basketball court (maybe underground)

Any suggestions on where to start, what to avoid, things you wished you knew before you built?
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Radiant heating is awesome. Big fan of that.

What about a sweet media room/home theater? Any interest in that?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, there WILL be a theater room. With a nice HD projector and a 100 inch screen. I told my wife that this is non-negotiable.

Probably will only have one other TV in the house though.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Cool (and wacky, in some cases) features that I've seen in some of the custom homes designed by the company I once worked for:

- 10-foot ceilings on all floors; you'd be surprised how enjoyable a basement space is when it has 10-foot ceilings. Doesn't feel like a basement at all.

- Radiant heated deck and driveway; no need to shovel the snow off; flick a switch and it melts away

- Bidets in all bathrooms

- twisting slippery slide from loft upstairs to family room on main floor

- dumb waiter

Those are all fun and luxurious, but the two things I think most people get wrong when building a house are:

1) they fail to get the kitchen/great room area right. That is the most used space in the house, but people often get so wrapped up in the mudroom, office, media room, laundry room, workout room, etc. that they eat away at the space designated for the kitchen/great room. It's the heart of the house, and it is much more important to get that right than to include all the tangential ideas;

2) they fail to include adequate storage. Make sure your pantries and bedroom closets are good sized. Make sure you have adequate closetry in the halls and kitchen (broom closet, vacuum closet, etc.). Make sure your garage is big enough to fit your lawnmower and other tools comfortably.

People can add all the bells and whistles they want, but rarely does someone complain about a house where they have a huge kitchen/great room area and plenty of storage.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

how many square feet will that be? Are you planning on building two stories?
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

When (if) I ever build my own house it will have:

1) A library

2) A secret passage/room
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Servants' quarters!
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                Servants' quarters!
                my first thought was something along the lines of saving enough money to pay someone to clean it every week.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

One house I looked at recently had a great kitchen...it was awesome. Huge, nice layout, etc. What made it extra awesome was this really cool twisty staircase that went directly from the kitchen to the upstairs. It sounds weird but was actually a really nice custom touch.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    2) A secret passage/room
                    I forgot about that one. One of the Parade of Homes houses in Farmington about 7 years ago had a secret passage that went from the basement to the main level and up to the upstairs level, all in the same passage.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      I forgot about that one. One of the Parade of Homes houses in Farmington about 7 years ago had a secret passage that went from the basement to the main level and up to the upstairs level, all in the same passage.
                      i think these mystical pathways are called stairs
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        i think these mystical pathways are called stairs
                        Yes, and when the stairs are hidden behind a wall with hidden entrances they are called secret passages.

Comment

Master bathroom urinal. That has been the greatest argument I ever won. Though I do wonder how awesome a fireman pole from upstairs to downstairs would have been.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            Master bathroom urinal. That has been the greatest argument I ever won. Though I do wonder how awesome a fireman pole from upstairs to downstairs would have been.
                            you have a urinal in your bathroom? i could actually be convinced that it is a good idea. Where do you buy the urinal cakes? Do they sell them individually?

I assume you are talking about a traditional urinal and not the trough kind?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              you have a urinal in your bathroom? i could actually be convinced that it is a good idea. Where do you buy the urinal cakes? Do they sell them individually?

I assume you are talking about a traditional urinal and not the trough kind?
                              It is just a traditional style, trough would have been awesome though. I'll post a picture when I get home today.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X