Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Where do you buy your urinal cakes?
    I don't.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I don't.
      Sorry, I forgot how patriarchal you are.

Where does your wife buy your urinal cakes?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sorry, I forgot how patriarchal you are.

Where does your wife buy your urinal cakes?
        She doesn't. As for me and my house we don't use urinal cakes.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Very cool, you should have your wife post the sports page above it each morning.

Edit: In all seriousness, I never understood the sports page above urinals thing. How long are people peeing for??
          Last edited by filsdepac; 10-18-2011, 01:40 PM. Reason: Edit: In all seriousness, I never understood the sports page above urinals thing. How long are people peeing for??

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            We only needed one, but we had two different homes total while in OC. Both were gas fireplace, neither had any sort of fan.
            That's pretty standard for SoCal, at least from what I've seen. People use the fireplaces more for ambience than for heat. A fan with an on/off switch would be nice for the occasions when heat is desired.

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
            Quick bump.

So we've got a house plan and builder, financing and lot (being surveyed and recorded as we speak).

This thread was pretty useful to us. Basically, we're going with a sweet kitchen and great room, large amount of storage in 3 car garage, with radiant heating throughout the house.

Any further ideas before our plans are final?
            I think you will be glad you went with the three-car garage.

Are you in an area where a whole-house fan would be useful? We've saved a lot on cooling costs by being able to open the windows and pull the cool, evening air into the house (and push the hot air out of the attic).

Also, I thought we had outlet overkill, but it's been very convenient to have lots of power outlets (and light switches).

One last thing: we have a natural gas line that runs to the back patio area. It's capped right now, but it's ready to go if I ever want to cook back there. If you might want something like that, I've heard it's much less expensive to do now than to add later. Most things are like that, I suppose.

Good luck with the build!
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
              Edit: In all seriousness, I never understood the sports page above urinals thing. How long are people peeing for??
              Get back to us when you are about 65 and see if that question hasnt answered itself.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Get back to us when you are about 65 and see if that question hasnt answered itself.

Comment

It sounds like tankless water heaters are quite the rage lately -- at least that's what I remember from being in the room with my wife for an episode of Bachelor/ette a few months back.

And thinking of that, I would consider a heated floor in the master bath, maybe the heating behind the mirror. I love staying in hotels that have the warm floor.

Consider a side door on the garage, too, for easy access when you don't need to get the cars out. An oversized mudroom to act as a temp-controlled environment for bikes. And I like the fireman's pole that HFN suggested. A stripper pole could act as the "I want one, too!" equalizer for the wife.
                  I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    When (if) I ever build my own house it will have:

1) A library

2) A secret passage/room

I was looking for a new house thread to resurrect because my new home in St George is currently under construction. However, it was started as a spec home so we haven't had any involvement in anything up until this point where it is almost finished. I wanted to ask here what kinds of little things I might want to make sure get included before we close everything out. And here I found this prophetic post of mine from 6 years ago.

In my current house we did end up converting our dining room into a library, which we have enjoyed.

In our new house all the kids' bedrooms are upstairs. There is also a small room that is considered a craft room because it has no closet so it is not considered a bedroom. It is right next to what will be my daughter's room, and as a little incentive for her and an acknowledgement of her sacrifice in moving, I wanted to build her a personal library (the other girls are not big readers). And I've talked to the builder about converting the craft room's entrance door into a bookcase that opens so that the library is hidden from the rest of the house. I'm pretty excited about it.

It will look something like this:

Last edited by kccougar; 04-09-2017, 05:02 AM.
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

That looks fun. Are you going to have some kind of retaining bar or similar to keep the books on the shelf when the door swings?
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        That looks fun. Are you going to have some kind of retaining bar or similar to keep the books on the shelf when the door swings?
                        Good thing to consider.
                        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                          Good thing to consider.
                          Also, make sure the latch is controlled by a "secret" book on the shelf. Bonus points for the book having at least a tangential relation to BYU.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Also, make sure the latch is controlled by a "secret" book on the shelf. Bonus points for the book having at least a tangential relation to BYU.

What are you talking about? The book has to be "The Secret Garden".
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What are you talking about? The book has to be "The Secret Garden".
                              Like hell it does.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Like hell it does.

You're right. I probably needs to be this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Librar...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X