No announcement yet.

The building a new home thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've posted this somewhere else I think, but back in the day I came across a fireplace that had this cool fan system built into it. It was a really upgraded looking hearth, full stone build out, the whole deal. The fan system was electronic. It basically blew out the heated air from the fireplace, but obviously did not blow out any of the soot or smoke. Iirc, the fans/vents were actually just below the fireplace, not in the fireplace itself, so perhaps the fire heated the compartment just below it and then the fans blew out the air.

You could control the velocity of the air and have it just trickle out, but it was really fantastic. Most fireplaces warm up the immediate vicinity, but with these fans, the fireplace genuinely warmed up the entire room. It was great. However, it was the only time I ever saw such a fireplace. Has anyone else ever seen this?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I've posted this somewhere else I think, but back in the day I came across a fireplace that had this cool fan system built into it. It was a really upgraded looking hearth, full stone build out, the whole deal. The fan system was electronic. It basically blew out the heated air from the fireplace, but obviously did not blow out any of the soot or smoke. Iirc, the fans/vents were actually just below the fireplace, not in the fireplace itself, so perhaps the fire heated the compartment just below it and then the fans blew out the air.

You could control the velocity of the air and have it just trickle out, but it was really fantastic. Most fireplaces warm up the immediate vicinity, but with these fans, the fireplace genuinely warmed up the entire room. It was great. However, it was the only time I ever saw such a fireplace. Has anyone else ever seen this?
      It is the same idea they use with gas fireplace. The fire heats up a box and the air in the space surrounding the box and the warm air is then blown into the room.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I have one in my house.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          I have one in my house.
          you do? i'll have to check that out

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            Great suggestion. Also, if you're doing a home theater, insulate all the walls, not just the exterior ones for the same reason. You can of course go far beyond that when it comes to soundproofing but that is something cheap and easy to do.
            Sometimes the only way to make sexy time is to plop the kids in front of the TV and hope they don't get curious...

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              It is the same idea they use with gas fireplace. The fire heats up a box and the air in the space surrounding the box and the warm air is then blown into the room.
              do gas fireplaces have fans? In the homes we had in OC, they lacked fans.

sigpic

Comment

do gas fireplaces have fans? In the homes we had in OC, they lacked fans.
                Yes, most do.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Yes, most do.
                  we got ripped off with our 2 fireplaces.

sigpic

Comment

we got ripped off with our 2 fireplaces.
                    What did you need 2 fireplaces for in OC?
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

I should say, I am not sure most do (in my experience they do), but many do. You can buy a blower or fan kit to add to many gas fireplaces that don't have one.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

What did you need 2 fireplaces for in OC?
                        We only needed one, but we had two different homes total while in OC. Both were gas fireplace, neither had any sort of fan.

sigpic

Comment

I should say, I am not sure most do (in my experience they do), but many do. You can buy a blower or fan kit to add to many gas fireplaces that don't have one.

I added one to my fireplace in New England. The fan and temp sensor were mounted magnetically to the firebox. The fan speed knob/switch screwed in to an existing bracket. Then the whole unit plugged in to the outlet.

Installation took about 5 minutes, tops. Fans are a HUGE improvement! Without the fan the area immediately around the fireplace gets very hot but the rest of the room doesn't change much. With the fan the whole room, plus the two adjacent were noticibly hotter. (Most homes in New England have forced hot water heat, so the air doesn't circulate as it would with a forced air HVAC)

The fan cost ~$130 or so. It was similar to this:
                          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Blower-National-Heatilator-Replacement/dp/B000IGCBXK/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1295387017&sr=1-14"]Amazon.com: Fireplace Blower for Regency, National Gas, Travis, Heatilator; Rotom Replacement # R7-RB39: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/211oEAolvJL.@@AMEPARAM@@211oEAolvJL[/ame]

Comment

A lot of it has already been said, and I will be echo-ing what has been said:

Basement - dig out window wells, and put in big windows. Make those ceilings 10 footers. My sister in law has it and the basement feels awesome. Totally worth it.

Kitchen - we did this and initially I thought it was overkill...we have a lot of counter space but it has worked out great. Don't skimp on it.

Get rid of useless rooms. I see a lot of new homes that always have 1 crap room. It is usually just off the front door. I have seen it done two ways - 1 is a study and that, from what I have seen, is used a lot. Another is a sitting type room, that is never used.

Laundry Room - do it nice and give yourself space, but don't make it huge. I have seen some large useless laundry rooms which end up just giving more space to be messier than ever.

Mudrooms - if you want it, cool...but don't make it too large or you have the same problem with it just being more space to get messy. I have seen lockers done here for kids and it was awesome and kept it semi-organized.

Heated floors is genius. I thought about getting a central vac...but I wonder if I should have done it when we had the chance. Those with it - has it been worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post

I thought about getting a central vac...but I wonder if I should have done it when we had the chance. Those with it - has it been worth it?
                              My parents have it (26+ yrs now, and 4 yrs in previous house)

Pros: The suction is great. They have a cool 'dustpan alternative' feature under the cabinet, so Mom sweeps the kitchen, flips a switch, and brooms the dirt into the outlet (No dustpan/dustbin needed). It is lighter than the big old vacuums. No vacuum bags needed.

Cons: the cars get DIRTY. Dumping the dirt bin is MESSY and DUSTY. The thing is NOISY (almost painfully loud in the garage). Hauling that long hose all over the house can be challenging, and dragging the hose around a corner WILL rip off the paint/wallpaper from the wall and mouldings (and even the joint compound sometimes). The hose and attachments are much heavier than the new lighter vacuums. If you suck up a pencil, toy part, popsicle stick, etc longer than a certain length it will make it through the hose and the first angle, but can get stuck in the wall and will then rattle every time you turn on the vacuum.

Honestly, if I had $1500 to spend on a vacuum I would get a pair of Miele, Sebo, or similar quality vacuums and skip the central vac completely.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                                My parents have it (26+ yrs now, and 4 yrs in previous house)

Pros: The suction is great. They have a cool 'dustpan alternative' feature under the cabinet, so Mom sweeps the kitchen, flips a switch, and brooms the dirt into the outlet (No dustpan/dustbin needed). It is lighter than the big old vacuums. No vacuum bags needed.

Cons: the cars get DIRTY. Dumping the dirt bin is MESSY and DUSTY. The thing is NOISY (almost painfully loud in the garage). Hauling that long hose all over the house can be challenging, and dragging the hose around a corner WILL rip off the paint/wallpaper from the wall and mouldings (and even the joint compound sometimes). The hose and attachments are much heavier than the new lighter vacuums. If you suck up a pencil, toy part, popsicle stick, etc longer than a certain length it will make it through the hose and the first angle, but can get stuck in the wall and will then rattle every time you turn on the vacuum.

Honestly, if I had $1500 to spend on a vacuum I would get a pair of Miele, Sebo, or similar quality vacuums and skip the central vac completely.
                                I tend to agree with this. We have had Central Vac in 3 homes, including the current one. It seems lie we have to have the guy out at least quarterly to clear the pipes inside the wall of something the kids hav vacuumed up. Sometimes it gets totally plugged up. The dustpan in the kitchen is very useful. Also when my wife cuts my hair it makes the cleanup a snap. But we have a regular vacuum that gets used just about as much as the central vac for floors.
                                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Working...
                                X