Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Where do you buy your urinal cakes?
    I don't.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I don't.
    Sorry, I forgot how patriarchal you are.

Where does your wife buy your urinal cakes?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Sorry, I forgot how patriarchal you are.

Where does your wife buy your urinal cakes?
    She doesn't. As for me and my house we don't use urinal cakes.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Very cool, you should have your wife post the sports page above it each morning.

Edit: In all seriousness, I never understood the sports page above urinals thing. How long are people peeing for??
    Last edited by filsdepac; 10-18-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Edit: In all seriousness, I never understood the sports page above urinals thing. How long are people peeing for??

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    We only needed one, but we had two different homes total while in OC. Both were gas fireplace, neither had any sort of fan.
    That's pretty standard for SoCal, at least from what I've seen. People use the fireplaces more for ambience than for heat. A fan with an on/off switch would be nice for the occasions when heat is desired.

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Quick bump.

So we've got a house plan and builder, financing and lot (being surveyed and recorded as we speak).

This thread was pretty useful to us. Basically, we're going with a sweet kitchen and great room, large amount of storage in 3 car garage, with radiant heating throughout the house.

Any further ideas before our plans are final?
    I think you will be glad you went with the three-car garage.

Are you in an area where a whole-house fan would be useful? We've saved a lot on cooling costs by being able to open the windows and pull the cool, evening air into the house (and push the hot air out of the attic).

Also, I thought we had outlet overkill, but it's been very convenient to have lots of power outlets (and light switches).

One last thing: we have a natural gas line that runs to the back patio area. It's capped right now, but it's ready to go if I ever want to cook back there. If you might want something like that, I've heard it's much less expensive to do now than to add later. Most things are like that, I suppose.

Good luck with the build!
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by filsdepac View Post
    Edit: In all seriousness, I never understood the sports page above urinals thing. How long are people peeing for??
    Get back to us when you are about 65 and see if that question hasnt answered itself.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Get back to us when you are about 65 and see if that question hasnt answered itself.

Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar

It sounds like tankless water heaters are quite the rage lately -- at least that's what I remember from being in the room with my wife for an episode of Bachelor/ette a few months back.

And thinking of that, I would consider a heated floor in the master bath, maybe the heating behind the mirror. I love staying in hotels that have the warm floor.

Consider a side door on the garage, too, for easy access when you don't need to get the cars out. An oversized mudroom to act as a temp-controlled environment for bikes. And I like the fireman's pole that HFN suggested. A stripper pole could act as the "I want one, too!" equalizer for the wife.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    When (if) I ever build my own house it will have:

1) A library

2) A secret passage/room

I was looking for a new house thread to resurrect because my new home in St George is currently under construction. However, it was started as a spec home so we haven't had any involvement in anything up until this point where it is almost finished. I wanted to ask here what kinds of little things I might want to make sure get included before we close everything out. And here I found this prophetic post of mine from 6 years ago.

In my current house we did end up converting our dining room into a library, which we have enjoyed.

In our new house all the kids' bedrooms are upstairs. There is also a small room that is considered a craft room because it has no closet so it is not considered a bedroom. It is right next to what will be my daughter's room, and as a little incentive for her and an acknowledgement of her sacrifice in moving, I wanted to build her a personal library (the other girls are not big readers). And I've talked to the builder about converting the craft room's entrance door into a bookcase that opens so that the library is hidden from the rest of the house. I'm pretty excited about it.

It will look something like this:

Last edited by kccougar; 04-09-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

That looks fun. Are you going to have some kind of retaining bar or similar to keep the books on the shelf when the door swings?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    That looks fun. Are you going to have some kind of retaining bar or similar to keep the books on the shelf when the door swings?
    Good thing to consider.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Good thing to consider.
    Also, make sure the latch is controlled by a "secret" book on the shelf. Bonus points for the book having at least a tangential relation to BYU.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Also, make sure the latch is controlled by a "secret" book on the shelf. Bonus points for the book having at least a tangential relation to BYU.

What are you talking about? The book has to be "The Secret Garden".
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

What are you talking about? The book has to be "The Secret Garden".
    Like hell it does.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Like hell it does.

You're right. I probably needs to be this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Librar...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

You're right. I probably needs to be this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Librar...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    Can you tell me the tangential relation to BYU for the bonus points?

- Goatnapper'96

Can you tell me the tangential relation to BYU for the bonus points?

Does this have to do with gay BYU students meeting at the HHL bathroom to get to know one another?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Bonus points for the book having at least a tangential relation to BYU.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Where was this book 14 years ago!??!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Where was this book 14 years ago!??!
    Somewhere between Dan and Bathsheba.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

The Library door went in this weekend:

That's going to be awesome

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

if i ever build a house i'm going to do something cool like that
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

The Library door went in this weekend:
    You've really hidden the secret latch well. Can't even see it. Have you decided on which book will trigger the door?
    - Goatnapper'96

You've really hidden the secret latch well. Can't even see it. Have you decided on which book will trigger the door?
    The University of Utah - Together We Reached

Because who would ever pull that off the shelf?