No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did 25 miles gaining 1010 feet in elevation. averaged 15.6 for the ride. It is the first time I have taken the left fork of hobble. I have always just chosen the right fork when heading up there.

Utah County has to have some of the greatest cycling access in the country. I have long interrupted flats, nice hills and mountain passes all within reach of my doorstep and it makes me extremely grateful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      Did 25 miles gaining 1010 feet in elevation. averaged 15.6 for the ride. It is the first time I have taken the left fork of hobble. I have always just chosen the right fork when heading up there.

Utah County has to have some of the greatest cycling access in the country. I have long interrupted flats, nice hills and mountain passes all within reach of my doorstep and it makes me extremely grateful.
      I agree with that. I really enjoy the close access. I finally got the gumption to ride to the top of the Alpine Loop and back today. I haven't been feeling as in shape as previous years, and thought it might be quite the struggle, but I managed it just fine.

Comment

• Absolutely nutty ride today:
        1. Chased by a group of three dogs. Was bitten on the calf by one. Almost went down.
        2. On our regular route, we cross a train track. Only way around is a really busy and sub-optimal road. Get to the train track and see that it's blocked by a train. Engine not running. Guys in orange vests all over. We asked how long, and they said at least an hour - some guy got hit by the train about 100 feet from where we were, body still there, not a pretty sight, decapitated (we were told - we didn't go check it out).
        3. One of us had a flat we couldn't seem to fix. Blew two tubes fixing it. On a really busy bridge.

That dog has been a problem for all cyclists over the last month - more than one person has been bitten. It will die.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          That dog has been a problem for all cyclists over the last month - more than one person has been bitten. It will die.
          Is this a prediction or a threat?

It was a woman that was hit by the train, btw. Suicide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Is this a prediction or a threat?

It was a woman that was hit by the train, btw. Suicide.
            Ummm, prediction.

I just assumed it was a man - they didn't specify gender. Looks like the media did the same - it was apparent from the guys that we talked to that the remains were not pretty and perhaps it was hard to tell. But, having spent tons of time in Japan, suicide-by-train was what I expected it was.

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012...harris-county/
            Last edited by Pheidippides; 08-19-2012, 05:35 AM.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Here's my first weekend ride report. I know my speeds are ridiculous compared to all of yours, but yesterday was just my fifth day riding every day, and I made big progress from Friday to Saturday. The wife and I rode 6.1 miles on the American Tobacco Trail in 36:33 (average of 9.9 mph). Right now my big goal is to get my average MPH up to 15. Not sure how long it'll take to get there -- on this morning's ride I averaged 11.1 MPH.
              Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Here's my first weekend ride report. I know my speeds are ridiculous compared to all of yours, but yesterday was just my fifth day riding every day, and I made big progress from Friday to Saturday. The wife and I rode 6.1 miles on the American Tobacco Trail in 36:33 (average of 9.9 mph). Right now my big goal is to get my average MPH up to 15. Not sure how long it'll take to get there -- on this morning's ride I averaged 11.1 MPH.
                Good work, Tim! I guarantee that if all you do is ride regularly, you'll get faster. Don't push it too hard or increase your mileage too much each week (10% a week is usually advised), but keep at it. One thing that helped me was to include a "sprint" element, where for just a minute or so (or pick a signpost, tree or other object in the distance) you pedal as fast as you can, then fall back to your usual speed. Over time, your usual speed will grow ever faster.

But the most important thing is to simply enjoy the ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Good work, Tim! I guarantee that if all you do is ride regularly, you'll get faster. Don't push it too hard or increase your mileage too much each week (10% a week is usually advised), but keep at it. One thing that helped me was to include a "sprint" element, where for just a minute or so (or pick a signpost, tree or other object in the distance) you pedal as fast as you can, then fall back to your usual speed. Over time, your usual speed will grow ever faster.

But the most important thing is to simply enjoy the ride.
                  That's the part that's resonated with me the most over this last week -- I really enjoy being out on the bike. I rode a bit when I was in high school but more for practical reasons, not enjoyment. I think my time riding the scooter in Tokyo made me fall in love with the feeling of being out on the road with the wind in my face. It's incredibly relaxing and I find myself looking forward to it every day. My goal is to simply get out and ride at least daily.
                  Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• I was able to sneak out for a ride on Saturday morning. Probably due to lack of good sleep over the last month or so, I was feeling rather lethargic and was significantly off my normal pace. I usually don't stop (except for traffic lights), but I had to take a breather at the top of Little Mountain Pass. Fortunately, there was a nice lady there with bananas and oranges promoting a ride next month, so I was grateful for that. I decided to push on and had decided I would turn back at a pioneer monument, but just before I reached it, I passed another rider. My pride wouldn't let me turn around in front of him, so I pushed on to the summit of Big Mountain Pass. 38 miles and 3,700 feet of climbing.

I went back out this morning before work and went up Little Mountain Pass to Little Dell Reservoir. Still a bit off pace, but felt better. 25 miles and 2,100 feet of climbing.
                    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Here's my first weekend ride report. I know my speeds are ridiculous compared to all of yours, but yesterday was just my fifth day riding every day, and I made big progress from Friday to Saturday. The wife and I rode 6.1 miles on the American Tobacco Trail in 36:33 (average of 9.9 mph). Right now my big goal is to get my average MPH up to 15. Not sure how long it'll take to get there -- on this morning's ride I averaged 11.1 MPH.
                      Good going Tim. Just keep going and it doesn't take long to really improve on a bike.

Comment

• It's nice to see a few more CUFfers posting about their rides. Good to see you getting out, Tim, Brutus, Eddie, KC, and everyone else (or at least posting about rides, if you've already been getting out).

Here's video of the downhill portion of my ride today. Pardon the Edna Mode moment at the start; I had to make sure the camera was rolling. There were a lot more loose rocky sections than in other downhills I've posted. That always poses a challenge. The funny part is at the very end, when a kamikaze squirrel jumps across my path. You'd be surprised how often that happens. I call these trails Meadow and Goat. Others might know them as Great Western and Dragon's Back.

[YOUTUBE]PGjZSb_ONpE[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                          It's nice to see a few more CUFfers posting about their rides. Good to see you getting out, Tim, Brutus, Eddie, KC, and everyone else (or at least posting about rides, if you've already been getting out).

Here's video of the downhill portion of my ride today. Pardon the Edna Mode moment at the start; I had to make sure the camera was rolling. There were a lot more loose rocky sections than in other downhills I've posted. That always poses a challenge. The funny part is at the very end, when a kamikaze squirrel jumps across my path. You'd be surprised how often that happens. I call these trails Meadow and Goat. Others might know them as Great Western and Dragon's Back.

[YOUTUBE]PGjZSb_ONpE[/YOUTUBE]
                          That looks like a fun trail. Quite rocky like you mentioned in the video.

Maybe you've already said, but is that a GoPro camera that you are using? Good quality picture and audio.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                            I call these trails Meadow and Goat. Others might know them as Great Western and Dragon's Back.
                            I really need to get out on my mountain bike; I miss it.

Looks like a fun trail. I tried looking it up on mtbr.com, but couldn't find it. From what I could tell, it's in the Bountiful area, but is it part of the Bonneville Shoreline system?
                            When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              Maybe you've already said, but is that a GoPro camera that you are using? Good quality picture and audio.
                              Yes, it's a GoPro, set for HD video. It's a nice little unit. I put it in a waterproof housing when we boogieboard at the beach. I put my few biking videos and a couple of boogieboarding videos on youtube. Search for mtnbiker310 and you should be able to see them and get an idea of what you can get out of the GoPro.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                                I really need to get out on my mountain bike; I miss it.

Looks like a fun trail. I tried looking it up on mtbr.com, but couldn't find it. From what I could tell, it's in the Bountiful area, but is it part of the Bonneville Shoreline system?
                                It's up Provo Canyon, above Timpanogos Park and Canyon Glen Park. The end of the video, where you see the paved trail, is the Provo Parkway trail at Canyon Glen.

Comment

Working...
                                X