Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
    This morning my buddy invited me to do a ride with him. At first I decline but then called him back and asked if he was willing to do a ride at 6 AM. He was so we did an hour ride this morning. Roughly 8 miles (Nice easy pace). I rode my mtn bike and he had his rode bike. Once we got half way we switched bikes and his bike felt soo smooth (Probably the tires)..

It felt good to ride this mornign and I feel like I have so much mroe energy.. I am going to try and get him to go with me every Saturday AM and I may do it on Sunday just by myself..

He is trying to convince me to go on a 60 mile bike ride with him and his buddy in Septemeber... We'll see.. But I am loving my bike. But riding his road bike made me wonder if I got the wrong type (We'll post mroe in my other thread another day)..
    Look into getting some slick tires for your mountain bike. Maybe even find some cheap, used rims on Craigslist to put them on so they are easy to swap when you want. You could probably get two slick wheels set up for $100.00.

Comment

• I had an interesting ride today. I was chugging uphill on 18"-wide singletrack when I suddenly heard a distinct rattling sound and saw a diamondback rattlesnake slither off the trail. But not very far. He was coiled up, ready to strike, and wouldn't budge when I shook the tops of bushes where he was. So I dismounted, kept the bike between us, and cautiously walked past him. But unlike last year's encounter, I pulled out the camera and took a couple of pics. Here you can just see him. The edge of the trail is just out of frame.

It must have been a day for the grim reaper, because I also saw a dead field mouse on another section of trail, and a dead pot gut on the paved parkway. I don't normally see such freshly dead beasties.

Comment

• Wild. My scariest experience on a bike was about ten years ago, riding up past Aspen Grove to the top of the Loop when I heard tree branches breaking and a very large bull moose bolted onto the road right in front of me and then back into the woods below. I expected to see a cougar follow closely after him, which happened the next second. Freaked out, I turned tail and booked down the hill at 50mph.

Comment

• After weeks of big rides and building up for the STP that's now behind us, we decided to take it easy with a 36-miler up to Calaveras Reservoir. Unbeknownst to me, but knownst apparently to Mrs. PAC, they were holding the Calaveras Time Trial today, so over a six-mile stretch (each way), we were riding in the midst of time trialists sporting the aero helmets and disc wheels. Over a stretch of rolling and flats where we average 18-19 mph, and think we're really cranking, we were getting passed once every minute or so by racers who made us feel like we were riding backwards.

Comment

• an easy forty miler followed by a six mile run. Nothing special on the ride but I was loosening my legs from the 18 run the previous day. Bike miles have been light but run miles up to fifty for the week. That is a good total for yours truly. Maybe an hour in the gym if I feel motivated. Or some laps in the pool.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I ran an easy three miles and then I broke my toe surfing. No more running for a while and now I really miss my bike

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                an easy forty miler followed by a six mile run. Nothing special on the ride but I was loosening my legs from the 18 run the previous day. Bike miles have been light but run miles up to fifty for the week. That is a good total for yours truly. Maybe an hour in the gym if I feel motivated. Or some laps in the pool.

I did 20 miles on the bike and then sat on the couch for 6 hours while I watched people ride bikes. I'm exhausted. I think I'll go eat some ice cream.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I flatted riding out of my garage, changed that, rode 1 mile uphill and flatted again (I'm sure I pinched the tube), so I ran barefoot back to the house and called it a day.

Comment

an easy forty miler followed by a six mile run. Nothing special on the ride but I was loosening my legs from the 18 run the previous day. Bike miles have been light but run miles up to fifty for the week. That is a good total for yours truly. Maybe an hour in the gym if I feel motivated. Or some laps in the pool.
                    Heh. You and I had the same workout, except I ran 7 and my 18 mile run is only 17 and tomorrow. My running miles aren't at 50 for the week though.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      Heh. You and I had the same workout, except I ran 7 and my 18 mile run is only 17 and tomorrow. My running miles aren't at 50 for the week though.
                      Hope says she ran six in the morning and now another seven on the treadmill in NYC. They are on Fifth Avenue run with the kids and cousins. Of course, her six are completed in under 41 minutes. Mine are plowed through much more slowly than that.

Tomorrow, I'm reversing it, 12 miles running with an easy twenty riding to relax the legs afterwards on the bike. It doesn't look as if my mileage will be much over sixty during the high point and I'll probably settle for 40 to 42 run miles during recovery weeks.

Exercise is a serious concern, don't you think, mate?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Hope says she ran six in the morning and now another seven on the treadmill in NYC. They are on Fifth Avenue run with the kids and cousins. Of course, her six are completed in under 41 minutes. Mine are plowed through much more slowly than that.

Tomorrow, I'm reversing it, 12 miles running with an easy twenty riding to relax the legs afterwards on the bike. It doesn't look as if my mileage will be much over sixty during the high point and I'll probably settle for 40 to 42 run miles during recovery weeks.

Exercise is a serious concern, don't you think, mate?
                        Serious as a heart attack.

You're running is way higher than mine on a weekly basis (my high ever is 55) and since I'm recovering from an injury I'm just working back into the high 30s and low 40s.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          Serious as a heart attack.

You're running is way higher than mine on a weekly basis (my high ever is 55) and since I'm recovering from an injury I'm just working back into the high 30s and low 40s.
                          Just for this and next month. I enjoy running when I'm only in the thirties, although right now, knock on wood, I'm enjoying it okay now. Next week will be in the forties and then the week after into the fifties. I intend to top out around sixty before reducing.
                          Last edited by Topper; 07-28-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• As some may have seen on FB, I did my first century this past weekend. The route probably wasn't as scenic as the Lighthouse, Lotoja or others you all may have done, but it was... interesting. I did 102 miles, mostly on a 2.90 mile course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204576955

It was part of a cancer fundraiser and is hosted in a nice part of Charlotte (yes, there are several nice parts) and is an annual event. We raised more than $1.4 MM this year, so that's cool. The times aren't that exciting, but it was pretty cool to put that mileage in, wrapping up around 5:15 AM. Riding that much in the dark is another interesting change. The other challenge was that I started at 9am as a set-up volunteer, doing a lot of the on-course manual labor in 100* humid heat prior to riding. I also forgot to eat lunch, so I went back early for dinner and to allow the crowd to die down some.

Now I need to sign up for a true century. Also, there are several people who complete 300 miles during the 24-hour event.
                            Last edited by Parrot Head; 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
                            I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                              As some may have seen on FB, I did my first century this past weekend. The route probably wasn't as scenic as the Lighthouse, Lotoja or others you all may have done, but it was... interesting. I did 102 miles, mostly on a 2.90 mile course.

http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=4941600

It was part of a cancer fundraiser and is hosted in a nice part of Charlotte (yes, there are several nice parts) and is an annual event. We raised more than $1.4 MM this year, so that's cool. The times aren't that exciting, but it was pretty cool to put that mileage in, wrapping up around 5:15 AM. Riding that much in the dark is another interesting change. The other challenge was that I started at 9am as a set-up volunteer, doing a lot of the on-course manual labor in 100* humid heat prior to riding. I also forgot to eat lunch, so I went back early for dinner and to allow the crowd to die down some.

Now I need to sign up for a true century. Also, there are several people who complete 300 miles during the 24-hour event.
                              I'm not seeing your report on GarminConnect. Is it unlocked for the public? In any event, congrats on your first 100. 35 or so laps? That's dedication. I assume you're riding/talking with others to reduce the tedium. I'm amazed you didn't bonk given your pre-ride activities and lack of fueling.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I'm not seeing your report on GarminConnect. Is it unlocked for the public? In any event, congrats on your first 100. 35 or so laps? That's dedication. I assume you're riding/talking with others to reduce the tedium. I'm amazed you didn't bonk given your pre-ride activities and lack of fueling.
                                Hmmm... I've made my privacy settings to public. Not sure why it's not working.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204576955
                                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X