Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    RC - I agree...there is nothing more discouraging than trying to ride in the wind. I hate the wind, and I have self proclaimed the Wasatch Valley as the "Windiest Place on Earth". I don't care what day it is, or time of year it is...there is always a wind blowing here for several reasons.
    You obviously have never been to Wayne County. The only time I have ever seen the wind not blow there is when we brought a bunch of kites to fly.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Mrs. PAC and I are leaving tomorrow morning for BYUI where we'll pick up the youngest. Thus, we had to go out today for our final big ride preparatory to next week's century. Until the winds came up late in the ride, it was spectacularly nice. Blue skies, cool (high 50s), and a very lightly traveled Mines Road (a part of the upcoming Tour of California). We did 80 miles with an elevation gain of either 2900 or 4600, depending on whether you believe MapMyRide or Garmin. Either way, it was a lot. But we haven't felt this good after a long ride, perhaps ever. I think it's the result of the offseason work we've done at the gym where we've done a lot of core and upper body stuff. The recreational drugs probably help, too.

I should be putting up the CUF Ride poll about locations, but notwithstanding the foregoing, I'm too tired. I'll get something up by the end of the weekend when we return.

PAC-
    What century ride will you be riding in next week?

Hmmm...I'm considering throwing in for this one: http://tourdesummerlin.com/ it's coming up shortly and I've been on my bike once so far...hey....I'm ready.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    PAC-
    What century ride will you be riding in next week?

Hmmm...I'm considering throwing in for this one: http://tourdesummerlin.com/ it's coming up shortly and I've been on my bike once so far...hey....I'm ready.
    Sorry for the delayed response. We've been on the road all day and now find ourselves in Idaho Falls, which apparently did not receive the memo that winter is over. Anyway, we're riding the Tierra Bella Century just south of the Bay Area. It has lotsa climbing, but I think we're ready; survival is our only goal.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    We've been on the road all day and now find ourselves in Idaho Falls, which apparently did not receive the memo that winter is over.
    Welcome to eastern Idaho PAC. We have this one just beautiful week in August but other than that the weather sucks up here.

Feeling sorry for those whose locales have yet to emerge from winter, and filled with the spirit of Elijah (he was a great climber, btw), we decided to ride for our kindred somewhat-dead, and did a proxy ride for RC Vikings. We did the 30-mile Palomares Canyon loop that was gorgeously green and filled with the sound of falling water. We climbed over 2000 feet, but with that distance, we feel a whole lot better now than we did after last week's ride.

I'm back!!!

Well, sort of. For my first ride back from my annual running hiatus, I awoke to a light drizzle this am. A couple of text messages later and we were off on the road to give it a try. Ran only worsened the further I got from home. So I only got in about 10 miles before being driven off the road by heavy rain. Not wanting to miss out on a workout, I then took to the garage for a 45 minutes sludge fest on the trainer.

It felt good for those 10 miles and I am looking forward to finally getting some dry roads around here after getting drenched for much of the past 3 months.

Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar

After a mix of rain, tornadoes and travel, I was able to get out on the new bike this afternoon. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to charge the Garmin so I can't provide any great details on the ride other than it being about 80 degrees, windy, and at least 8 minutes in duration -- but I'm sure it was much longer than that. But it did feel great to be out there.

From the ride today, I think that a lot of people in this area are fairly respectful of cyclists, though I did get one jerk who came up and honked right when he got on my tail. No oncoming traffic, I was hugging the line, he was just being an idiot.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
    After a mix of rain, tornadoes and travel, I was able to get out on the new bike this afternoon. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to charge the Garmin so I can't provide any great details on the ride other than it being about 80 degrees, windy, and at least 8 minutes in duration -- but I'm sure it was much longer than that. But it did feel great to be out there.

From the ride today, I think that a lot of people in this area are fairly respectful of cyclists, though I did get one jerk who came up and honked right when he got on my tail. No oncoming traffic, I was hugging the line, he was just being an idiot.
    Welcome to the cycling clan! It gets better (and easier on the backside) the more you do it. We may have to get you some wheels for the upcoming visit.

Banned

I am bringing the Lemond to Rio next month. Can't wait. I'll post some pretty sweet pics from the great rides that exist here.

Saturday group ride today. Me and seven really fast guys. I knew I was in trouble from the start but I hammered really hard with them for about twenty miles before I told them to go ahead. They were willing to wait but I toast. Five miles later one of the guys had a tire fall apart on him so I was able to catch up and even get ahead a little. They caught me on the climb that we do and we all finished together but I'm not in top form right now. This was only forty miles and I needed a nap after I got back home. The skiing this winter was a nice break but I need some miles in my legs.

We had General Authorities visiting for Easter Weekend which meant a short ride on Saturday, what with Leadership Meetings, etc. But on Friday, I put it out there (for me at least). Went climbing on the backside of the Sandia Mountains. Rode from the summit of Sedillo Hill down to the Village of Tijeras, turned south, enjoyed a nice tailwind up the canyon as we claimbed to the top of what the locals call South 14. Made a nice little loop through the National Forest and then headed down the canyon into a very stiff headwind. At times I was pedaling hard to go downhill. But that is spring in Albuquerque - wind followed by more wind. After arriving in Tijeras on the return trip, we turned east again and climbed Sedillo Hill. All in all, considering how fat I am and the shape I am in, I felt good about the ride. Was on the bike for 3.5 hours and my back held up reasonably well with the climbing. Now to lose about 15 more lbs.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

I made it out for my first real road ride of the season last night. I got off work at a decent hour and met a buddy who has been hammering all spring and is just waiting to punish me for neglecting my bike all winter and spring. In all, I did 25 miles and we averaged 18mph. About 24 of those miles were spent tucked in on his back wheel. On the flat stuff I felt pretty good. Hills weren't too bad if I took them easy, but as soon as I tried to sprint or hammer into the wind my legs turned to jelly.

Perfect weather this week here - 70 degrees and sunny with an ever so slight breeze.

During my drive home from work today, I was trying to decide whether to battle the 20mph winds on the roadie or just hit the spin class at the gym. My mind returned to the browsing I did at the Bike Shop of several hours ago, to RCViking's stirring inspirational Patton-esque speech about riding head down into the wind.

I donned my favorite jersey, strapped on my shoes and hit the road. 22 miles later, I am totally spent, as the last 8 miles were headed directly into that 20 mph headwind. But those are miles in the bank, as I know for a fact that my riding buddies were not out suffering as I was this evening. Dinner will also be that much more satisfying, knowing I just killed over 1,200 calories, leaving them for dead along the side of the road.

First long group ride today. Maybe a bit ambitious for a newbie such as me, but I had an awesome time. Good group that goes out of my local bike shop, which is about six miles from my house. I kept pace with the leaders until the very end (the fastest guys were all out racing today). Other than one minor issue where I couldn't get out of my pedals and had to hang on to somebody so I didn't fall over, it was an awesome ride.

You guys aren't kidding about that whole wind thing. It sucks. See, e.g., the last six miles home (done solo).

My heart and lungs want to do another 50, but my quads are spent.

Oh, and in case I haven't told you, Houston is flat.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84013364
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    First long group ride today. Maybe a bit ambitious for a newbie such as me, but I had an awesome time. Good group that goes out of my local bike shop, which is about six miles from my house. I kept pace with the leaders until the very end (the fastest guys were all out racing today). Other than one minor issue where I couldn't get out of my pedals and had to hang on to somebody so I didn't fall over, it was an awesome ride.

You guys aren't kidding about that whole wind thing. It sucks. See, e.g., the last six miles home (done solo).

Dude that is great. Sounds like you are hooked.

Provo has flats, hills and mountains, today I gradually climbed the right fork of hobble creek. For others in South UC, they have freshly paved right fork. Make for a great ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84045774

Question for the guys that link Garmin results (Nik and Coach just today). I think I'm going to buy a Garmin 305 and a cadence sensor. With those items will I be able do track my workouts the way you guys do (I love all that data) or does it require a software purchase as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Question for the guys that link Garmin results (Nik and Coach just today). I think I'm going to buy a Garmin 305 and a cadence sensor. With those items will I be able do track my workouts the way you guys do (I love all that data) or does it require a software purchase as well?
    No software, just buy the 305 and sign up at garmin connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Dude that is great. Sounds like you are hooked.

Provo has flats, hills and mountains, today I gradually climbed the right fork of hobble creek. For others in South UC, they have freshly paved right fork. Make for a great ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84045774
    Yup. Hooked. Cycling combines all the things I love about motorcycling with most of the things I love about running. And it's cheaper than motorcycling, kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    No software, just buy the 305 and sign up at garmin connect.
    Yup. 305 is the best purchase I've ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post

nikuman, that may be the fastest first ride I've ever seen. Excellent work. I just got back from a 54-mile ordeal to the top of Sierra Road where Stage 4 of the Tour of California will finish a week from Wednesday. Unlike your very fast cruise, I averaged a glacier-like 13 and change. On the other hand, my Garmin says I climbed 4700 feet, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I can't wait to see the Tour finish; it'll be live on Versus.

One other note. I rode solo today while Mrs. PAC and her pals are doing the Wine Country Century. Because I couldn't get a date, I didn't push it at all and a lot of times I was just lollygagging, dillydallying, or whatever the correct cycling term for laziness is. After 40 miles, just as I was getting back to the rolling flats, a couple of very good cyclists passed me and I asked if I could tag along. We cruised along between 22 and 25 mph for 4 miles and it was exhilarating. I used to be afraid to draft (my tortoise-like reaction time made me fear a rear-ender; not that, sickos). But I'm getting the hang of it and it's a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    nikuman, that may be the fastest first ride I've ever seen. Excellent work. I just got back from a 54-mile ordeal to the top of Sierra Road where Stage 4 of the Tour of California will finish a week from Wednesday. Unlike your very fast cruise, I averaged a glacier-like 13 and change. On the other hand, my Garmin says I climbed 4700 feet, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I can't wait to see the Tour finish; it'll be live on Versus.

One other note. I rode solo today while Mrs. PAC and her pals are doing the Wine Country Century. Because I couldn't get a date, I didn't push it at all and a lot of times I was just lollygagging, dillydallying, or whatever the correct cycling term for laziness is. After 40 miles, just as I was getting back to the rolling flats, a couple of very good cyclists passed me and I asked if I could tag along. We cruised along between 22 and 25 mph for 4 miles and it was exhilarating. I used to be afraid to draft (my tortoise-like reaction time made me fear a rear-ender; not that, sickos). But I'm getting the hang of it and it's a blast.
    Make no mistake: my butt is sore. But I earned the soreness!

I also didn't take any real pulls at all, although the first six, last six, and most of the second to last six were done solo.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84152088

Brutal wind today. One hour was plenty. I was just trying to keep my heart rate up because it was slow going.

Great ride niku and PAC it's wonderful to hear you've joined the peloton finally.

I missed my morning ride yesterday due to a fasting blood draw at 7:00am, so I had plans to go out for an evening spin while the kids were at swim practice. Shortly before I was to leave work, I got a call from a buddy of mine that was held up at work, so he was going to have to miss the Wednesday night race here in town. He was looking for someone to ride with, and since all of his fit friends were out racing, he had to settle for a recovering runner trying to suffer his way back into cycling shape.

I was just going to do my usual 18 mile route, but he talked me into doing a different route almost twice that long. And he needed a good hard workout, so we hammered it most of the way. I drafted off him probably 80% of the time, just because I didn't have the power in my legs to come around him. On this moderately hilly route with a decent south wind, we ended up averaging 19.1 mph, no thanks to me. My legs are fried today, but it felt good to get in my first really tough ride of the season.

Group ride this weekend?

http://youtu.be/EUEcaAc6LC8

Just got back from a ride. Using Mapmyride app on my phone for the first time. I hope this works.

I almost don't even want to post it. I don't know what was wrong with my body but I felt like throwing up every time I tried to put some leg into it. Must be dehydrated. Hot wind coming out of the south. Here's to better days.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 05-19-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Not really wanting people to have my exact home address.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Just got back from a ride. Using Mapmyride app on my phone for the first time. I hope this works.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34245626

I almost don't even want to post it. I don't know what was wrong with my body but I felt like throwing up every time I tried to put some leg into it. Must be dehydrated. Hot wind coming out of the south. Here's to better days.
    Trying to avoid the women's prison, I see.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I almost don't even want to post it. I don't know what was wrong with my body but I felt like throwing up every time I tried to put some leg into it.
    It could be that whole riding-on-the-interstate thing.

Went out last week on one of my fav rides in the Salt Lake Valley. Wasatch Blvd. From Draper all the way to 3300 S. and it is a great ride..has lots of diversity. Rollers, climbs, flats....scenery overlooking the Salt Lake Valley is awesome as well. My 2nd ride of the year.

Tommorrow....we are taking on Suncrest, from the Salt Lake side...ugh.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34199112

Only 3o miles...but that is to the meeting point. Add another 20 (10 to the start, 10 back home) and we're looking at a decent ride tomorrow. That climb is going to kill me tomorrow. My legs are SO out of shape.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    It could be that whole riding-on-the-interstate thing.
    Ha....funny.

I love the Summerlin area. I still want to do the "Tour de Summerlin" sometime. I always find out about 2 weeks after it has already occured. Never can keep tabs on that one.