Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 767

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

  1. #451
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    I did the first weekend ride in more than nine months, a mere 35 miler. I understand goose's dilemma, but I am soo out of shape, I dare not ride with the boys. I finished by 8:30 and the temperatures shot past 100. Tomorrow on my second weekend ride in nine months. To add insult to injury, Mrs. Topper, went out to run five miles, but said she lost track and ran nine. She once took me out for seven, and we ended up doing 15. (I reminded her, I think we hit seven back there a long ways ago. "Oh don't be such a ninny, aren't the trees pretty?").

    I wonder if my legs will ever return. Of course, I learned riding with a few cups of water in the desert heat is not a good idea.

  2. #452
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    41 miles today - rode the Alpine loop this morning for the first time ever as part of the Timpanogos Gran Fondo. My time was slow but I was just happy to make it to the top.
    Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 06-29-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added link

  3. #453
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    41 miles today - rode the Alpine loop this morning for the first time ever as part of the Timpanogos Gran Fondo. My time was slow but I was just happy to make it to the top.
    Congrats. That is a fun loop.

  4. #454
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,017

    Default

    We went down and did 60 miles in the Pocatello area. My riding buddies have done this a few times but this was my first and it was nice. Right outside the city are four really good climbs and on quiet roads. I've never riden on a road that leads to a ski resort that it didn't hurt and that truth continued today. I really struggle climbing but it was a good day.

  5. #455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    41 miles today - rode the Alpine loop this morning for the first time ever as part of the Timpanogos Gran Fondo. My time was slow but I was just happy to make it to the top.
    Nice. Did you do that with anyone I know? Have you been riding to or from your office yet?

  6. #456
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    We went down and did 60 miles in the Pocatello area. My riding buddies have done this a few times but this was my first and it was nice. Right outside the city are four really good climbs and on quiet roads. I've never riden on a road that leads to a ski resort that it didn't hurt and that truth continued today. I really struggle climbing but it was a good day.
    You are very modest. I call you the power train. Just hitch yourself to the power train and hang on for the ride.

  7. #457
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    188

    Default

    The wife and kids are out of town for three weeks and I thought I would be getting a lot of riding in. Unfortunately, the work needed on my bike and the heat have kept me from riding as much as I planned. I've done a couple of mountain bike rides, but nothing significant. This past Saturday I pushed myself out the door for a ride up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Overall, it was a fun ride. My plan for this week is to do a few shorter rides with a longer one this Saturday. We'll see...

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/334902943
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  8. #458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    The wife and kids are out of town for three weeks and I thought I would be getting a lot of riding in. Unfortunately, the work needed on my bike and the heat have kept me from riding as much as I planned. I've done a couple of mountain bike rides, but nothing significant. This past Saturday I pushed myself out the door for a ride up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Overall, it was a fun ride. My plan for this week is to do a few shorter rides with a longer one this Saturday. We'll see...

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/334902943
    Wow that is a big climb. What kind of grades do you run into on that climb?

    And your HR was crazy high, both for the peak and for the average. Can I ask your age, and is that red line for you, or did you have a little reserve left at the end of the climb? I don't think I've seen 194 on my monitor except for a little blip at the beginning when it is still picking up a good reading.

  9. #459
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Wow that is a big climb. What kind of grades do you run into on that climb?

    And your HR was crazy high, both for the peak and for the average. Can I ask your age, and is that red line for you, or did you have a little reserve left at the end of the climb? I don't think I've seen 194 on my monitor except for a little blip at the beginning when it is still picking up a good reading.
    There are some stretches of 10% grade, but they're generally not too long. There are some shorter bursts that are around 12%. It's quite a long grind, though. I've driven that canyon probably over 1,000 times, but didn't ever appreciate how steep it was until Saturday. I've ridden the upper portion on a mountain bike, but the steeper sections are near the bottom.

    As for my HR, I tend to run it a little higher than I should. I'm 35, so I believe my target HR should be about 157 (going by the (220-35)*0.85 method). I just got my HR monitor so I can regulate it better, but I'm still getting accustomed to it. Also, when I do a new route, I tend to push it higher for some reason. At the top, I was completely gassed. I had been passed a little earlier and I was making a push to keep up with that person. Looking back at some of my earlier rides on routes I am familiar with, my HR seemed to average just above 157. I'm planning on doing it again in the near future, so I guess I'll see if it goes down any.
    Last edited by BrutusBuckeye; 07-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  10. #460
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    Not with anyone you know. The people you know said, "Why would I want to pay an entry fee to ride in that ride when I can just ride it whenever I want for free?"

    I've been doing about 100 miles per week on the bike lately - done about 1100 total miles so far this year. I bring my bike on the train in the morning and then ride home after work. It's about 17 miles from the office to home.

  11. #461
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    The entire family is gathering for an early celebration of Mrs. PAC's 60th, so this morning she, our oldest daughter, two sons-in-law (Parrothead had to work--boooo) and I beat the heat by heading out before 7. We avoided the hills and had a blast. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on my Garmin until we finished my pull that took us out to Livermore. Still, we had a decent average (17) over 40 miles despite the lights and one modest climb (Piney, the SIL on the right, and I did this a few weeks ago on the way to Diablo). There's something both awesome and embarrassing about drafting a 60 year-old grandma doing 24 mph in the flats.

    We finished refreshed and ready for party time this evening.


  12. #462
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,494

    Default

    Some of the long rides you guys do are incredibly impressive and when you guys do all that climbing it just blows my mind. I rode 34 miles this morning with some ward friends and over that entire length I had 519 ft of elevation gain. At about mile 28 I hit an overpass and tried to power up it but was gassed and just geared down. I can't imagine climbing and climbing and climbing.

    I did make it along at a good clip for me (over 18pmh) but it's not as impressive if you know that I never pulled the group. We had 4 riders and I am easily the weakest of the 4, but they were happy to lead the way and push me quite a bit. At mile 30 I was really done so I dropped from them (that's when they made a final push and actually finished stronger) and slowed down to around 15-16. Anyway, for my 3rd ride in about 6 months I was pretty happy.

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/338215637
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  13. #463
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,017

    Default

    Yesterday I was getting ready to go and I fell over in my driveway on the side I was clipped into. It took a little bit of skin off my knee but it was more embarrassing than anything else. I get going and just before I get out of town I hit some RR tracks and pinch the tube. At this point I feel the cycling Gods are telling me to call it a day and head home. I came home mowed the lawn and then went golfing. I hope today works out better.
    Last edited by RC Vikings; 07-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.

  14. #464
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,017

    Default

    I had a new experience today. About five miles into my ride I'm out on this quiet country road that is home to a big fast angry dog. While I'm on the lookout for this dog I get hit in the back of the head. It felt like someone threw a football at me but the sound was of a hard object. I had no idea what was going on until I looked behind me and this big bird is hovering about fifteen feet above my head and looking to attack again. I put my head down and got the hell out of there but I wasn't real sure what to do if he came after me again. It's not enough that I have to worry about a ground attack from all the dogs in the area but if I have to start worrying about attacks from the air also I'm screwed.

    BTW the other 35 miles were nice with no problems today.

  15. #465
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    188

    Default

    I wasn't planning on doing a huge ride this weekend, but a buddy of mine called me and talked me into going out with him and a few others on a training ride for Lotoja. This buddy hasn't really been riding much lately so he said he would probably just turn back at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. I told him I'd be happy to turn back with him since that is all I was planning on anyway. Having had similar experiences with this friend before, I took extra food and money in preparation of him changing his mind. As expected, he did.

    I was worried about bonking, so I paid a lot of attention to my heart rate. I think this helped me out a lot. My climb up Big Cottonwood was a little slower, but I felt a lot fresher at the top and that was probably how I was able to be persuaded to continue on. Even by the end I was feeling pretty good, except for that I started to feel some pressure points on my feet.

    Overall, it was a beautiful ride with almost perfect weather.

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/338455244
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  16. #466
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Just did a forty miler in a 109 plus heat. Nothing to write home about.

  17. #467
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I had a new experience today. About five miles into my ride I'm out on this quiet country road that is home to a big fast angry dog. While I'm on the lookout for this dog I get hit in the back of the head. It felt like someone threw a football at me but the sound was of a hard object. I had no idea what was going on until I looked behind me and this big bird is hovering about fifteen feet above my head and looking to attack again. I put my head down and got the hell out of there but I wasn't real sure what to do if he came after me again. It's not enough that I have to worry about a ground attack from all the dogs in the area but if I have to start worrying about attacks from the air also I'm screwed.

    BTW the other 35 miles were nice with no problems today.
    I got hit with a beer can the other day. Talk about being attacked. That hurt.

  18. #468
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Wow, Brutus, a 115-mile unsupported ride with 8800 feet of climbing? I assume you found a few water stops along the way for refills. Looks like a fun ride, though.

  19. #469
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Wow, Brutus, a 115-mile unsupported ride with 8800 feet of climbing? I assume you found a few water stops along the way for refills. Looks like a fun ride, though.
    We had three stops along the way at a café and gas stations on the route to refill and refuel. It was a lot of fun and a pretty ride. It was also a lot of fun riding with a bigger group. I do most of my riding solo or with one other person, so it was a little different for me.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  20. #470
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Do you use Strava? I just started and it's amazing how many segments of our rides are measured. It's also a little depressing as I'm rarely above the median. Sure I take solace that the app is used primarily by serious riders, and the fact that I'm 60, but still. I'm thinking about signing up for premium membership which shows results by age category, although that might be depressing as well.

    On the other hand, Mrs. PAC (who is similarly aged) is kicking butt in the women's division. She just texted me that she just completed the 9th fastest descent on Calaveras (our most frequent ride), out of hundreds of women. I may have to go Cavendish on her for our weekend ride, either that or fly out Bellavela to bring my wife down a peg on the descents.

  21. #471
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Do you use Strava? I just started and it's amazing how many segments of our rides are measured. It's also a little depressing as I'm rarely above the median. Sure I take solace that the app is used primarily by serious riders, and the fact that I'm 60, but still. I'm thinking about signing up for premium membership which shows results by age category, although that might be depressing as well.

    On the other hand, Mrs. PAC (who is similarly aged) is kicking butt in the women's division. She just texted me that she just completed the 9th fastest descent on Calaveras (our most frequent ride), out of hundreds of women. I may have to go Cavendish on her for our weekend ride, either that or fly out Bellavela to bring my wife down a peg on the descents.
    Can you upload your garmin stuff to it? Is that how it works?

  22. #472
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Can you upload your garmin stuff to it? Is that how it works?
    yes, I have been using it for about a year now and love it. Although, like PAC, I find myself to be severely lacking compared to my local riders.

  23. #473
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Can you upload your garmin stuff to it? Is that how it works?
    As Coach noted, yes. And it's very simple. Indeed, it's just like Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center, but with loads of data about how you're comparing with other riders over various segments. For example, the 40-miler I did Saturday is broken out into around 35 segments, on all of which I was, at best, very mediocre! Here's the ride (can't tell if it's public, though). I joined Strava after the ride; if I'd known about it beforehand, I'm sure I would have been much, much faster. Honest.

    Another feature can show your wattage output, but since I'd be lucky to keep a nightlight illuminated, I haven't set that up.

  24. #474
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    You can use your Garmin or your cell phone. Cell phones are notorious for inflating the vertical though.

    When I first signed up for Strava (nearly two years ago), I weighed over 260. Strava wouldn't accept my weight in their field - their max was 250. I guess they thought fat guys wouldn't use their site. I submitted an enhancement request and, to their credit, they increased the max weight a few weeks later.

    Unfortunately, the weight category lumps everything above 200 lbs and up. If Strava would make weight categories above 200 lbs I would be much more likely to upgrade to premium. I just submitted an enhancement request for that, we'll see what happens.

  25. #475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    As Coach noted, yes. And it's very simple. Indeed, it's just like Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center, but with loads of data about how you're comparing with other riders over various segments. For example, the 40-miler I did Saturday is broken out into around 35 segments, on all of which I was, at best, very mediocre! Here's the ride (can't tell if it's public, though). I joined Strava after the ride; if I'd known about it beforehand, I'm sure I would have been much, much faster. Honest.

    Another feature can show your wattage output, but since I'd be lucky to keep a nightlight illuminated, I haven't set that up.
    I imagine wattage is only for those riding with power meters, right?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  26. #476
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I imagine wattage is only for those riding with power meters, right?
    They can calulate it from the data. Elevation gain, speed, weight, etc.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  27. #477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    They can calulate it from the data. Elevation gain, speed, weight, etc.
    Wouldn't they need to know wind speed/direction, bike weight, tire selection, etc.? I'm new to this, so I may be way off here.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  28. #478
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Wouldn't they need to know wind speed/direction, bike weight, tire selection, etc.? I'm new to this, so I may be way off here.
    The accuracy is questionable, but it can be done roughly.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  29. #479
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    The accuracy is questionable, but it can be done roughly.
    check this out:

    http://bikecalculator.com/index.html
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  30. #480
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    We had the last of the weekend rides with the kids today as Parrothead joined us for the Palomares loop. Although not accustomed to these types of climbs, PH left us in the dust until we met at the top. He was also not accustomed to 40 mph descents, but handled those just fine as well. As I was struggling up a Cat 2 climb after only 12 miles, I thought about the TdF guys and how, after going 100 miles and after days of multiple rated climbs, they would not doubt sail past me at 3x my speed. At once sad and inspiring.

    And I signed up for Strava Premium, as with that service one can compare oneself to others within one's age group, and not just to those of all ages where I'm generally in the middle of the pack or worse. Imagine my pleasure to discover that on the Palomares descent I'm ranked in the top fourth of my age group. Imagine that pleasure being curbed a bit when I discovered I'm tied with a 63 year-old woman named Peggy. Riding with Mrs. PAC I should know better than to think me superior to the fairer sex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •