No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great day for a ride, with clear skies, virtually no wind, and temps in 50s and 60s. We weren't the only ones to notice, as there were literally hundreds of riders along our 41-mile route (Calaveras Reservoir). A fair amount of climbing (1800 per MMR, 3600 per Garmin) and we were faster than average (15.2, so let's not gush) than usual, which is nice for early in the season.

At the midpoint turnaround, there's an "optional" quarter mile 18% drop. Most riders stop at the top and watch the few fools who go down it turn around and work their way slowly back up. It was nice to have an audience, although pedaling at 4 mph is humbling.

Comment

• Awesome 55 miler yesterday (done solo). I had a lot on my mind and a ride cleared it out. Ended up seeing the best of what rural Texas had to offer (answer: some scary-ass trailer parks/meth labs). Got sunburned too. Averaged 17.5 mph - going out to my first rest stop was awesome with a tailwind (I was doing 25 mph for a lot of that) but then the wind and my direction turned and it was a struggle).
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I had a great 40 mile ride on Saturday. Temps at the start were about 49 degrees and warmed up to 64 by the finish.

I felt really well for about 30 miles, hitting some steep hills pretty hard and chasing down several attacks by a friend of mine. At the 30 mile mark I decided to attack on one of our favorite rollers near the end of a fast section of road. When we eased up I got really nauseous and had to back off for the last 10 miles to my house. Even then, it was such a beautiful day I had a blast getting out.

I also realized what lousy cycling shape I was in last spring. Doing the SLC marathon in the middle of April made it tough to get in shape for any good spring and early summer rides. Right now, in the first week of March, I feel like I am in the same riding condition that I was by mid June last year. Hoping for a good year.

Comment

• Another beautiful day for a ride before the rain comes tomorrow, which it looks like will stick around for a week or so.

Quite cold at the start at about 40 degrees, but really we were only shivering for a few miles. Headed up into the hills on one of my favorite routes.

48 total miles with almost 4,000 feet of climbing. I felt really well on the first big climb, which is 9 miles with 2,400 feet of climbing. One of my buddies started out hard on the climb and opened up a 1/4 mile gap within the first 10 minutes or so. I then spent the next 8 miles trying to chase him down. He knew I was coming so I couldn't sneak up on him, and he hit the summit about 50 yards in front of me. Nothing like being red-lined for an hour to start the day.

About 3 miles from the finish we have our final KOM hill, that is always a hotly contested sprint for the top. Strategy starts about 2 miles from the base of the climb, trying to time it so you are not the one pulling the group when it is time to sprint. After 2 1/2 hours of hard riding, I tried to break away on the climb but was absolutely spent and got drilled by the same guy who beat me to the top of the first big climb. Hobbled back to the car for the last 2 miles, but overall a great ride and some good training with about 4 months to go before the death ride.

Comment

• Sounds like you guys have been getting a lot of good rides in. We finally got the bikes off the trainer and outside and got in our first ride of the year. Only around 20 miles of fairly easy spinning. Bella broke a toe a few weeks ago in tae kwon do, and it really started bugging her, even with the mellow pace.

Comment

• It was the first group ride of the year for us. We did 45 miles and the day was nice, high 40's and only a slight breeze. Most of my rides have only been around 20 miles so far this year so I was pretty spent by the time we were done.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                It was the first group ride of the year for us. We did 45 miles and the day was nice, high 40's and only a slight breeze. Most of my rides have only been around 20 miles so far this year so I was pretty spent by the time we were done.
                I did 40 on Friday and was cooked. It has been 65 - 70 around here. Perfect for riding.

Comment

• At the rest stop for my fifty miler. Did the first 25 averaging 21 mph, and that's with a bunch of stop lights, headwind for the last 5 miles, and a neutral start for the first 2. No clue how I'm going to hang for the next 25.

Comment

• Last night I had my first ever meeting with pavement.

There were 3 of us on a small road along a nearby lake. We had been going pretty fast, but fortunately slowed just below 20 as we were nearing the end of the road. We were also no longer drafting but a bit spread out and talking.

Up ahead there was a truck slowly driving towards us. It turns out he was "walking" his dog which was a large lab running around the side of the road.

Well the dog ran right in front of me and stopped. I hardly had time to touch my brakes before my front wheel slammed into the middle of the yellow lab's ribs and I was doing a full endo over the mutt.

My left posterior hip hit pavement first and I rolled a few more times eventually coming to a landing in the roadside grass. I was a bit stunned and the experience was a bit surreal. I stood up and looked around, dazed despite not hitting my head. No pain immediately, but a lot of pain about 3 minutes later.

The guy got out and apologized, but I don't recall paying much attention to him. I was just thinking "really?". I was able to stand without difficulty, despite the pain, so I didn't really worry about a fracture. I stayed home today and kind of just bummed around, as I expected today's swelling and bruising hurt worse than yesterday. It could've been worse. I really just have a bit of bruising, a dose of soreness, and some butt/back roadrash.

I just haven't ever been in a wreck before and wanted to recount the experience. (I should restate - I had never gone down at any speed higher than 0 mph before)

And most importantly? The bike is doing just fine. Only the handlebar tape is scrapped up, but it is the time of year I change it anyway. All is good.
                    Last edited by HawkeyeUte Scads; 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HawkeyeUte Scads View Post
                      Last night I had my first ever meeting with pavement.

There were 3 of us on a small road along a nearby lake. We had been going pretty fast, but fortunately slowed just below 20 as we were nearing the end of the road. We were also no longer drafting but a bit spread out and talking.

Up ahead there was a truck slowly driving towards us. It turns out he was "walking" his dog which was a large lab running around the side of the road.

Well the dog ran right in front of me and stopped. I hardly had time to touch my brakes before my front wheel slammed into the middle of the yellow lab's ribs and I was doing a full endo over the mutt.

My left posterior hip hit pavement first and I rolled a few more times eventually coming to a landing in the roadside grass. I was a bit stunned and the experience was a bit surreal. I stood up and looked around, dazed despite not hitting my head. No pain immediately, but a lot of pain about 3 minutes later.

The guy got out and apologized, but I don't recall paying much attention to him. I was just thinking "really?". I was able to stand without difficulty, despite the pain, so I didn't really worry about a fracture. I stayed home today and kind of just bummed around, as I expected today's swelling and bruising hurt worse than yesterday. It could've been worse. I really just have a bit of bruising, a dose of soreness, and some butt/back roadrash.

I just haven't ever been in a wreck before and wanted to recount the experience. (I should restate - I had never gone down at any speed higher than 0 mph before)

And most importantly? The bike is doing just fine. Only the handlebar tape is scrapped up, but it is the time of year I change it anyway. All is good.
                      Glad you are ok. Same thing happened to a friend of mine the week of a 1/2 ironman he was going to do with me. He broke his collarbone or something in the process. Hopefully you injured the dog enough that they had to put it down and the lazy ass that was in the pickup instead of actually walking his dog gets heavily fined. Actually they can put him down too.

Comment

• With only three weeks to go before our first century of the year, and because we're leaving town this weekend sans bikes, I was getting worried I wouldn't be ready for the big one. So despite threatening weather I headed out alone today on a 67 miler to Tracy and back, traversing the Altamont Pass range twice.

After the first hour, the wind really started to pick up (>15 min.), but I had a tailwind for the last few miles heading east. As I was sailing along at speeds above 30 mph, the thought occurred to me that what I was experiencing was probably like illicit sex: pretty awesome and exhilarating in the moment, but with a dark cloud hanging over me that I would regret it, a lot, very quickly. And so it was. Coming back into a headwind that only increased as I ascended back over Altamont was absolutely brutal. At various points, I was slowed to about 5 mph and some gusts nearly blew me over.

But I made it, and my butt and legs are ready for 100, but my psyche was pretty damaged by the slow slog coming back. It also reminded me why I will never cheat on Mrs. PAC.

P.S. I hope Hawkeye is ok. That kind of story scares the crap out of me.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          A great day for a ride, with clear skies, virtually no wind, and temps in 50s and 60s. We weren't the only ones to notice, as there were literally hundreds of riders along our 41-mile route (Calaveras Reservoir). A fair amount of climbing (1800 per MMR, 3600 per Garmin) and we were faster than average (15.2, so let's not gush) than usual, which is nice for early in the season.

At the midpoint turnaround, there's an "optional" quarter mile 18% drop. Most riders stop at the top and watch the few fools who go down it turn around and work their way slowly back up. It was nice to have an audience, although pedaling at 4 mph is humbling.
                          This just reminds me how great NoCal riding is; perhaps the best in the country and a great biking culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by HawkeyeUte Scads View Post
                            Last night I had my first ever meeting with pavement.

Glad you are OK and no major damage. Something similar happened to me at the end of November except it was a person instead of a dog. I wasn't quite as lucky as you and ended up shearing off a chunk of the olecranon of my left elbow. Having surgery again on Wednesday to remove the metalwork.

Comment

• Magnificent day for a ride today. No wind. No clouds. Temps in the mid 70s. And since this is Houston, no hills - how do you like 173 feet of total elevation gain over 50 miles?

Like last week, blasted with a large group (thinned out towards the end). Averaged just under 21mph. We hit over 30 mph at one point.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160961822

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                Magnificent day for a ride today. No wind. No clouds. Temps in the mid 70s. And since this is Houston, no hills - how do you like 173 feet of total elevation gain over 50 miles?

Like last week, blasted with a large group (thinned out towards the end). Averaged just under 21mph. We hit over 30 mph at one point.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160961822
                                That would be awesome, although such a ride in my area would be pretty much impossible. I love the hills but I long for an opportunity to crank along in the flats with a fast paceline.

Comment

Working...
                                X