No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch, BG, that is no fun at all. Hope it heals fully. I was considering posting about my endo that I had last Friday, when I miraculously cleared 3 large rocks and landed flat on my back. But I think you just trumped anything I could post, so I won't.

Comment

• Clear roads, low 40's, every ride in Rexburg during December is a big bonus. I went 31 miles and it was great to get out. It was my first ride in over a month and I felt it but it was about a thousand times better than time in the gym.

Comment

• The missus and I got in a very nice 40-mile Valentine's Day ride. Temps in the low 60s with blue skies and a mild breeze. I've been a bit bummed the past few weeks because slower times both running and riding seemed to signal that old age was taking its toll. But while that will no doubt continue to factor in, I think my doldrums were due to a lengthy cold and the effects of the nasty fall I had while running in late December (ribs still hurt a bit). Both issues are subsiding and we cruised around the hills at a relatively brisk 17.1 mph (hey, don't laugh, RC, et al.).

Comment

• I got out and did 38 miles in a brisk 45-55 degree ride. It got up to 77 here but I had to get the ride in early.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Both issues are subsiding and we cruised around the hills at a relatively brisk 17.1 mph (hey, don't laugh, RC, et al.).
            PAC throw in any hills and a 17 mph average isn't bad. I went out for 31 miles yesterday and was right around a 17 mph avg and I was toast. 17 is the new 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              The missus and I got in a very nice 40-mile Valentine's Day ride. Temps in the low 60s with blue skies and a mild breeze. I've been a bit bummed the past few weeks because slower times both running and riding seemed to signal that old age was taking its toll. But while that will no doubt continue to factor in, I think my doldrums were due to a lengthy cold and the effects of the nasty fall I had while running in late December (ribs still hurt a bit). Both issues are subsiding and we cruised around the hills at a relatively brisk 17.1 mph (hey, don't laugh, RC, et al.).
              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              PAC throw in any hills and a 17 mph average isn't bad. I went out for 31 miles yesterday and was right around a 17 mph avg and I was toast. 17 is the new 20.
              It will be a pretty awesome day for me when I can average 17 mph over a 30 or 40 mile ride.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I'm not sure where else to post this so... any suggestions on a place to rent a road bike in the San Jose area? My cousin has offered to lend me a mountain bike for the weekend I'm visiting, but a) I feel awkward on a mountain bike with the wide handlebars, and b) she's four inches taller than I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                  I'm not sure where else to post this so... any suggestions on a place to rent a road bike in the San Jose area? My cousin has offered to lend me a mountain bike for the weekend I'm visiting, but a) I feel awkward on a mountain bike with the wide handlebars, and b) she's four inches taller than I am.
                  Just saw this, BBB, but no, I really didn't have any suggestions. I'd Google bike shops in the vicinity of your lodging and call for availability and pricing, or a referral if they don't rent.

In other news, who cares if we're running out of water. The weather couldn't be better and the missus and I had a fun ride with a fair amount of climbing (40 miles and around 2400 feet). We had a blast and we give daily thanks for our physical condition. Yes, we really work at it, but looking around, it's clear that so much of it is genes and good luck.

Comment

• Anyone else using Zwift? http://zwift.com/

I did my first ride on it this morning. I found out about it through one of my crazy cycling buddies in Utah (we went to high school together). I follow him on Strava and started seeing a strange route/location so I inquired and found out that he was one of the first to get in on the beta testing of the software. I signed up a couple months ago and just recently got my invitation to participate. It's still in beta mode so it doesn't cost anything, however it is a bit buggy.

It's a pretty cool idea, and is basically an attempt to make riding on a trainer bearable. I have my cadence/speed sensors on my bike and my ANT+ usb thing in my computer and the software basically picks up the signal from the bike stuff and calculates my power/speed. It then projects that to the little guy riding a bike on the software and he then rides the same course as everyone else that is riding at that time. I think there were around a hundred or so people on the course this morning, some of which were absolutely killing it and others that were more my speed.

I did almost 1.5 hours, which would have been torture for me on a trainer, even with a movie playing. The cool thing about the software is that not only are you riding with real people, it also has a KOM and sprint areas, so I found myself really pushing it at times. At one point I found a group of 3-4 people that were about my speed and we hung around for a lap or two.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Anyone else using Zwift? http://zwift.com/

I did my first ride on it this morning. I found out about it through one of my crazy cycling buddies in Utah (we went to high school together). I follow him on Strava and started seeing a strange route/location so I inquired and found out that he was one of the first to get in on the beta testing of the software. I signed up a couple months ago and just recently got my invitation to participate. It's still in beta mode so it doesn't cost anything, however it is a bit buggy.

It's a pretty cool idea, and is basically an attempt to make riding on a trainer bearable. I have my cadence/speed sensors on my bike and my ANT+ usb thing in my computer and the software basically picks up the signal from the bike stuff and calculates my power/speed. It then projects that to the little guy riding a bike on the software and he then rides the same course as everyone else that is riding at that time. I think there were around a hundred or so people on the course this morning, some of which were absolutely killing it and others that were more my speed.

I did almost 1.5 hours, which would have been torture for me on a trainer, even with a movie playing. The cool thing about the software is that not only are you riding with real people, it also has a KOM and sprint areas, so I found myself really pushing it at times. At one point I found a group of 3-4 people that were about my speed and we hung around for a lap or two.
                      That sounds and looks like a lot of fun, but I've never used an indoor trainer and for now I'll stick with the great outdoors. I'm mildly disappointed you weren't actually doing laps around Jarvis Island in the South Pacific, as Strava had indicated.

Comment

• Not sure if this has been shared or not, but I found it enjoyable.

Danny Macaskill: The Ridge

Comment

• I love his videos. Maybe because I have recurring dreams where I'm doing the kinds of tricks he does on a bike.
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• His riding is always phenomenal, and the videography is very impressive as well. The pucker factor on that ridge is off the charts.

Comment

• Wow. High pucker factor, indeed.

How long until we watch a Danny Macaskill memorial video?

Comment

• I've now been back on the bike 8 times in 2015. Lots of running this year, not much riding. But I'm slowly getting myself back in shape. Did a fast 42 miler on Tuesday night and then 38 this morning. Feeling really good.

But that's not why I wanted to update my weekend ride report entry today. When we were about 30 miles in to our ride this morning three trucks passed us on a quiet country road. They were flatbed trucks, transporting dozens of bee hives on the back.

I was in second position in our group of four. And I happened to be wearing my bright red Canada cycling jersey, a shout out to the land of my mission, from long ago.

Shortly after the trucks passed us, the front truck pulled over to the side of the road, followed in suit by the other two trucks. A little perplexed, we assumed they were just pulling over to let us pass before they turned into one of the upcoming ranch properties.

We passed them on the left, as is standard operating procedure for cyclists to do when passing slower vehicles. As we did , the driver of the first truck leaned out of his window toward us. He was wearing your standard brown truckers hat, well worn, tattered at the edges. He was also adorned with a not-so-standard brown duck dynasty beard, a good six inches from chin to tip.

I gave a polite head nod and wave to acknowledge their courtesy in letting us pass. As I did, the driver reached out his left fist high in to the air, and with a face as serious as a heart attack, sternly shouted "'merica!", as he scornfully watched my maple leaf-decorated Lycra outfit pass by.

We continued on our way down the sleepy country road. The three bee keeper trucks eventually pulled back out on to the road, continuing on their way as they carried their honey-producing merchandise to its destination.

I smiled. He made my day.

Only in 'Merica.

Comment

Working...
                                X