Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

I went out with a couple of guys that are training to do Levi's Gran Fondo in just over a month. They are in good shape and are climbing really well. We did a couple of big climbs through the course of the 46 mile route. The first is a normal 2 mile climb that is nothing too hard. The second one was a monster at about 5 miles. The first half of the climb is steady but the last mile destroyed me. It gets up to 22% for the last half mile. I rode away with my tail between my legs as I had to put my foot down and rest half way up the final push. My legs were toast. Part of my problem was that the last time I did that climb was 3 years ago when I was in good shape and was 15 +pounds lighter. So as a result, I went out a little too hard on the lower slopes rather than saving my legs for the upper portion.

Overall I am having fun riding this year, but I am bummed that I didn't sign up for any big event to motivate me to drop the weight and get in good shape this year. I really hate struggling as much as I am on the climbs, but clearly not enough to step away from the 2 pound bag of peanut M&Ms sitting in the mini fridge right next to my desk.
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I went out with a couple of guys that are training to do Levi's Gran Fondo in just over a month.
    I just learned about Levi's Gran Fondo this morning and was perusing the website. It looks like a fun ride.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

These guys have done it twice. They love it. Incredible route and very well supported. Huge turnout. I saw a picture of the start 2 years ago. It was crazy how crowded the bunch start was. Barry bonds actually did the ride that year. Kind of funny seeing him and his giant head there surrounded by all of those midget cyclists.
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that the wife, our youngest and I got to ride in a Gran Fondo in the center of France with Bernard Hinault and Laurent Jalabert as the leads. We knew we weren't going to hang with the leaders, and we got dropped in the first mile when our youngest dropped a chain. Plus it was raining, so we peeled off and did a shortened, 60-mile ride. Fortunately, we ended up finishing just behind the leaders, and they had the missus down as having finished in the top three among the women, an undeserved honor we quickly dismissed. Still, it was a blast pedaling into a medieval courtyard with adoring fans. Thank you for reading this yet again....

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Had a fun ride up and down Memory Lane, aka Donner Pass, as we recalled the board ride a while back with several of you. Some memories are better left unrecalled, but that didn't stop Mrs. PAC from pointing out the spot where I accidentally (I swear!) knocked over Bellavella's bike, breaking her rear derailleur.

We only did 40 today as we're going out to an early dinner and then a show in Reno (that's right, Reno--eat your hearts out). After climbing up Donner, we rode down about 15 miles to Cisco Grove, and then had a long slog back up to the top of Donner. It reminded us of the board's Mt. Bachelor ride, although we looked in vain for HFN's awesome cache of refreshments he had set up for us in the late going.

We also battled 14+ mph crosswinds; Mrs. PAC's whining became insufferable so I let her go ahead on the downhill. Here's a pic of her (the speck on the downhill, right center) flying back down.

Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; Today at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Had a fun ride up and down Memory Lane, aka Donner Pass, as we recalled the board ride a while back with several of you. Some memories are better left unrecalled, but that didn't stop Mrs. PAC from pointing out the spot where I accidentally (I swear!) knocked over Bellavella's bike, breaking her rear derailleur.
    Accident schmaccident. I saw you aim your bike at the derailleur. Bellavela was bummed, and said she would have beat you to the top. Actually, it wasn't all bad, as she had a great chance to chat with JIC's wife.

Funny thing about that picture... Mrs. PAC is exactly at the spot where I was when, after getting Bella squared away, you guys called me, asking if I'd be there anytime soon. And you were just around the corner in that overlook parking lot. You ruin someone's bike, then can't wait another minute for the cavalry to show up. hmmph.

We do need to do another group ride, as long as you promise not to sabotage anyone.

Beautiful pic PAC. After riding up two mountains in Utah this summer I'm very jealous of you guys that have them pretty much in your backyard.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf