No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also have a first report to make. It was mid-week last week and not on the weekend, so I'll ask forgiveness from any thread purists.

The Good:

I replaced an eight-mile run with an almost-eighty-minute bike ride. I covered 18.5 miles at an average of slightly faster than 15 MPH. The 600+ feet of elevation is nothing that will excite this group, but most of it was in a few fairly-steep (for me) sections. That's the farthest ride I've taken since I purchased the bike, and it gave me hope that I'll be able to build to 50+ miles over the next several months.

The Bad:

I'd hoped to ride twice a week over the last couple of months, but I've been hit or miss with that. I've ridden probably seven or eight times over the last two months, and last week's ride was was my first bike ride in about two weeks. I've finally gotten past the sore backside, but I haven't been riding frequently by any means.

Anyway, I assumed the long ride wouldn't harm my training because I was used to running the same length of time. However, my body told me differently the next day. The combination of soreness from cycling, lack of sleep, high heat, etc. made for a rough long run on Saturday.

The Ugly:

Cyclists aren't heavy enough to trigger the sensor to open the gates to exit our community. To work around that, I have a habit of riding onto the sidewalk, stabilizing myself on the fence with one hand as I approach the pedestrian exit, and pushing open the exit with the other hand.

As I left for my long ride, I approached the pedestrian exit in this way. When I arrived at the gate, the section of fence that I use to stabilize myself was missing. I attempted to locate the door with my other hand to open it, but the handle to the door was also missing. At this point, with my feet still clipped into the pedals and my velocity at zero, I crashed to the concrete.

After I unclipped myself from the bike and got up, I noticed a locksmith's truck on the other side of the gate. Apparently, it was time for some routine maintenance work on the doors.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I took my kids out this morning, and my 9-year old completed her second 25-miler. We rode the Legacy Parkway, which is even flatter than going around Bear Lake, but it was a beautiful morning and an enjoyable ride.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        ... Anyway, I assumed the long ride wouldn't harm my training because I was used to running the same length of time. However, my body told me differently the next day. The combination of soreness from cycling, lack of sleep, high heat, etc. made for a rough long run on Saturday.
        That's very interesting. When I run for one hour or more at even an easy pace, I feel pretty trashed the next day. But I can ride for hours, even pushing it a bit, and I'm fine the next day. I guess either sport takes some getting used to; I need to step it up a bit with the running

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
        I took my kids out this morning, and my 9-year old completed her second 25-miler. We rode the Legacy Parkway, which is even flatter than going around Bear Lake, but it was a beautiful morning and an enjoyable ride.
        Very cool that your nine-year-old can crank out 25 miles and apparently enjoys it. She'll be dropping you like a sack of bricks before too long.

Comment

• Rode 9 miles late this afternoon -- almost 3 more than my previous max. My goal for two weekends from now is to finish the southern half of the American Tobacco Trail -- 12 miles from its southern terminus west of Apex to the Southpoint Mall in south Durham.
          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• 1st time I did a ride this weekend since I got "Whooping Cough"..

Did 11 miles and coughed throughout.. But I think it will help.

Comment

• We had a pleasant 40-mile ride today, as I try to get back in good shape for our last century of the year at the end of this month.

On the final ten-mile stretch, a younger couple passed us, which tends to offend Mrs. PAC, so we stepped it up a notch and left them in the dust. But as we came up to a stoplight near the end of the ride, feeling smug about having dusted the younger generation, I realized we had a different guy right on my rear wheel. He had been riding with us the final three miles, didn't seem tired at all, and thanked us for the enjoyable pull. He said he had just celebrated his 69th birthday. Cycling's great for any age.

Comment

• Did a quick ride with friends who are stronger than we are (they did the Giro last summer), but not so strong that we can't hang . It included two rated climbs that went by fairly quickly due to lively conversations, a bit tough for me when my heart is pounding at 150+ BPM, but still a lot of fun. My average HR was 142; Mrs. PAC's was 110. Sheesh.

Comment

• Did a fifty miler today with my wife, son, daughter and her boyfriend. I am sorely out of shape and so am too embarrassed to post specific numbers. But we did it. There were a couple of amusing things. First, I let my fourteen year old ride my old criterium frame cannon dale with down tube friction shifters. It has some old Hutchinson 23 tires and old campy rims. He loved it. He claimed it felt as fast as a recent carbon fiber frame he rode. Old school rules.

We also saw on,y one 'bent all day. But the guy did have a beard, so that was reassuring.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Nice, creek. Glad you're still riding. I don't remember reading a ride report from you since before you sold the triple. And then you go and crack off a 50-miler. Also pretty cool that your son enjoyed the old style ride.

Comment

• Went out Saturday with a ward friend. I hadn't ridden in about month due to commitments and vacation. This friend doesn't ride much so I was surprised when he wanted to do this route, which is over 28 miles. I pulled him for about 20 miles and on the way back I had to slow quite a bit to let him catch up as he couldn't stay with me. It hurt my average speed but I don't care since I just have fun riding on the weekends. Overall it was a fun ride that didn't stress my legs or heart rate too much.

You can see where he got tired since after mile 10 the average pace drops quite a bit. I did finally drop him with 2 miles left (he was telling me to go on before that but I didn't want to leave him) and sprinted in at a decent pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/217635152
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• It being game day, I put on the Y cycling jersey and joined the missus on the usual Calaveras Reservoir out-and-back. Near perfect conditions, with temps in the low 60s and negligible wind. Have I mentioned before how much fun it is to be flying along (well, "flying" by our sexagenarian standards) together, chatting it up with a scenic background, and then returning to a BYU football game and good eats?

Comment

• http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220401588

I have this little 44 mile loop and today I had my best time ever. I don't climb as well as I did when I was younger but I'm faster than ever on flat ground. I'm not sure what to atribute it to but it makes this old boy happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220401588

I have this little 44 mile loop and today I had my best time ever. I don't climb as well as I did when I was younger but I'm faster than ever on flat ground. I'm not sure what to atribute it to but it makes this old boy happy.
                            That's really flying over 40+ miles. Did you do this solo? I'd like to think I could hang with you for a good chunk of the ride, but only if I'm on your rear wheel the whole way. Alone? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              That's really flying over 40+ miles. Did you do this solo? I'd like to think I could hang with you for a good chunk of the ride, but only if I'm on your rear wheel the whole way. Alone? Fuhgeddaboutit.
                              It was solo. I would like to think the two of us trading off the front could break two hours.

Comment

• We're doing a century in two weeks, and I'm trying to get back in appropriate shape, so with the missus out of town I did 65 miles including a climb to the top of Mt. Diablo (ten miles of Cat I nastiness). At the summit, I saw this strange contraption:

It's the love child of a road bike and elliptical machine, and its owner had just ridden to the top (he did the climb in just over two hours). He was a distance runner, but had some joint issues and this machine eliminated them. I wanted to follow him down, but he was heading back just as I got there and I needed to refuel and refill.

Comment

Working...
                                X