No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have thoughts on a good road ride route in the Heber area? We'll be spending a weekend up there in August and thought it might be fine to do a ride. I'm thinking in the 40-60 mile range.

I thought about the road to Daniels Summit. I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.

Comment

• I've never ridden in the area but I have seen a bunch of riders going back and forth to kamas, both from park city and from heber city. From what I could tell they were nice wide roads with some steady climbs and fast descents.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
        Anyone have thoughts on a good road ride route in the Heber area? We'll be spending a weekend up there in August and thought it might be fine to do a ride. I'm thinking in the 40-60 mile range.

I thought about the road to Daniels Summit. I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.
        There are a number of options available. How much climbing do you want to do? Empire Pass is a pretty ride, but it's quite steep. Alpine Loop would be very accessible, but riding down and up Provo Canyon isn't a ton of fun.

One thing that you might look into is the Tour de Park City route. It's 160 miles, but I'm sure you could modify the course to suit your needs. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71768726 They used to have some shorter options, but they don't have those routes listed. You might be able to find them if you do a little searching.

Then there's the Summit Challenge routes. There's a 52-mile option on there that might be interesting. http://summitchallenge100.org/route-registration/
        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
          There are a number of options available. How much climbing do you want to do? Empire Pass is a pretty ride, but it's quite steep. Alpine Loop would be very accessible, but riding down and up Provo Canyon isn't a ton of fun.

One thing that you might look into is the Tour de Park City route. It's 160 miles, but I'm sure you could modify the course to suit your needs. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71768726 They used to have some shorter options, but they don't have those routes listed. You might be able to find them if you do a little searching.

Then there's the Summit Challenge routes. There's a 52-mile option on there that might be interesting. http://summitchallenge100.org/route-registration/
          Thanks, those are great ideas. The Tour de Park City ride looks epic. Maybe a goal to shoot for next year. I was confused by the title Summit Challenge, when there didn't seem to be many summits reached (high point is around 8,000 feet). Then I realized it was probably referring to Summit County.

Another option I had forgotten about until just after I posted is Wolf Creek Pass . I think starting near Jordanelle dam and doing an up and back ride to the summit would be a fun challenge at the edge of my current ability. It is a narrow road, but isn't heavily travelled. There is about 4,000 feet in elevation change, but if I get gassed it is easy to just turn around and fly back down.

Comment

• I woke up feeling very blah and didn't feel like riding, but Mrs. PAC cajoled me into action and we had a fun ride over one of our usual routes. It's interesting how much better I feel after a long ride.

At the start of the ride and feeling lousy, I asked the missus if she intended to do any riding while we're up at Tahoe in three weeks. She gave me that "Who are you?" look and said not only was she going to ride, she was going to do the entire Lake again, the first time since the epic CUF ride of 2009. My initial reaction was "Have fun! I'll be waiting for you...", but by the time we finished today I thought, "Oh, why not?" So we're going to ride around Lake Tahoe either Friday, August 21, or Saturday, the 22nd. It's possible another couple (one of my wife's riding pals and her husband--both very good riders getting ready for LOTOJA) will join us. Despite this very late announcement, and the fact that school starting may preclude the participation of many, if anyone would like to join us, you'd be very welcome. I'm not sure if we can provide lodging to anyone, but I'll know within the next day or two. We could certainly provide a pre- and/or post-ride meal, provided you're willing to endure yet another summary of our Civil War rides. Also, no assurance can be given that the Nevada Highway Patrol will be as easily bribed as last time.

Comment

• The winds were blowing east to west today and I came upon one of my favorite straightaways and wondered if I should take advantage. Feeling pretty good, I turned and rode the wind for 6 miles. I was thinking very far ahead since I then had a really long, diagonal ride back into the wind to get home...but for those brief 18 or so minutes it was glorious.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                I woke up feeling very blah and didn't feel like riding, but Mrs. PAC cajoled me into action and we had a fun ride over one of our usual routes. It's interesting how much better I feel after a long ride.

At the start of the ride and feeling lousy, I asked the missus if she intended to do any riding while we're up at Tahoe in three weeks. She gave me that "Who are you?" look and said not only was she going to ride, she was going to do the entire Lake again, the first time since the epic CUF ride of 2009. My initial reaction was "Have fun! I'll be waiting for you...", but by the time we finished today I thought, "Oh, why not?" So we're going to ride around Lake Tahoe either Friday, August 21, or Saturday, the 22nd. It's possible another couple (one of my wife's riding pals and her husband--both very good riders getting ready for LOTOJA) will join us. Despite this very late announcement, and the fact that school starting may preclude the participation of many, if anyone would like to join us, you'd be very welcome. I'm not sure if we can provide lodging to anyone, but I'll know within the next day or two. We could certainly provide a pre- and/or post-ride meal, provided you're willing to endure yet another summary of our Civil War rides. Also, no assurance can be given that the Nevada Highway Patrol will be as easily bribed as last time.
                Have fun! I'll be waiting for your report.

Actually, I kind of wish we could go, but school's starting up the week before (for my wife), and I also have to take my daughter to college. So I really do hope you have fun.

Comment

• Last Saturday it was mid 40's, no wind and the sun was out, beautiful fall day in Rexburg. I got 36 miles in which got me over the 3000 mile mark for the year. Time to get the skis out.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    Last Saturday it was mid 40's, no wind and the sun was out, beautiful fall day in Rexburg. I got 36 miles in which got me over the 3000 mile mark for the year. Time to get the skis out.
                    Nice work. I don't think I topped 300 miles this year. It's been a rough one.
                    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Ha! I think I maybe have reached around 300 myself.

Ugghhh.

Next year...right?

Comment

https://www.strava.com/athletes/127870

I follow a guy that lives in SLC that has over 10,000 miles this year. I think he's 71 now and I the one time I rode with him I had a had time holding on to his wheel. Crazy miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          Ha! I think I maybe have reached around 300 myself.

Ugghhh.

Next year...right?
                          Due to sciatica, which thankfully is now fading, I've had to cut back a bit on riding and completely on running. But this weekend I'll pass 2600 on the bike, and I'm holding at a pathetic 320 with running. Mrs. PAC will surpass 5,000 on her bike this week. All of this is possible due to getting rid of the kids and being put out to pasture churchwise, things you young 'uns can only look forward to.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            https://www.strava.com/athletes/127870

I follow a guy that lives in SLC that has over 10,000 miles this year. I think he's 71 now and I the one time I rode with him I had a had time holding on to his wheel. Crazy miles.
                            My miles are almost exclusively trainer miles now. With that said, I have about 5000 trainer miles and 500 real miles. Lol.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• We had a very enjoyable ride this morning amid the brilliant green hills. On one stretch where I love to really crank (by my standards anyway--my betters here would not be impressed) I felt a bit sluggish and was disappointed at my speed (18 or so where we can usually go 25), even with a mild headwind. When I stood up for more power I thought the bike felt a little different (kind of bouncy) but I didn't really focus on it. Finally, after three (!) miles, the last two of which I was struggling to draft Mrs. PAC, I realized I had a flat front tire. It was unusual in that it wasn't fully flat, but maybe 20 psi or so. My typical flats are complete so that I'm essentially riding on my rim, but not this time. I'd pumped up the tires to >110 psi before the ride, so there had definitely been a puncture of some kind. Still, live and learn. I swapped out the tube and we continued on, with me feeling much better about myself, even if I was a dope for not noticing sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                We had a very enjoyable ride this morning amid the brilliant green hills. On one stretch where I love to really crank (by my standards anyway--my betters here would not be impressed) I felt a bit sluggish and was disappointed at my speed (18 or so where we can usually go 25), even with a mild headwind. When I stood up for more power I thought the bike felt a little different (kind of bouncy) but I didn't really focus on it. Finally, after three (!) miles, the last two of which I was struggling to draft Mrs. PAC, I realized I had a flat front tire. It was unusual in that it wasn't fully flat, but maybe 20 psi or so. My typical flats are complete so that I'm essentially riding on my rim, but not this time. I'd pumped up the tires to >110 psi before the ride, so there had definitely been a puncture of some kind. Still, live and learn. I swapped out the tube and we continued on, with me feeling much better about myself, even if I was a dope for not noticing sooner.
                                I thought I might have a flat tire today, but it turned out to just be a particularly moist section of the dirt/gravel pathway.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X