Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    First long group ride today. Maybe a bit ambitious for a newbie such as me, but I had an awesome time. Good group that goes out of my local bike shop, which is about six miles from my house. I kept pace with the leaders until the very end (the fastest guys were all out racing today). Other than one minor issue where I couldn't get out of my pedals and had to hang on to somebody so I didn't fall over, it was an awesome ride.

You guys aren't kidding about that whole wind thing. It sucks. See, e.g., the last six miles home (done solo).

My heart and lungs want to do another 50, but my quads are spent.

Oh, and in case I haven't told you, Houston is flat.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84013364
    Dude that is great. Sounds like you are hooked.

Provo has flats, hills and mountains, today I gradually climbed the right fork of hobble creek. For others in South UC, they have freshly paved right fork. Make for a great ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84045774

Comment

Question for the guys that link Garmin results (Nik and Coach just today). I think I'm going to buy a Garmin 305 and a cadence sensor. With those items will I be able do track my workouts the way you guys do (I love all that data) or does it require a software purchase as well?
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
        Question for the guys that link Garmin results (Nik and Coach just today). I think I'm going to buy a Garmin 305 and a cadence sensor. With those items will I be able do track my workouts the way you guys do (I love all that data) or does it require a software purchase as well?
        No software, just buy the 305 and sign up at garmin connect.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Dude that is great. Sounds like you are hooked.

Provo has flats, hills and mountains, today I gradually climbed the right fork of hobble creek. For others in South UC, they have freshly paved right fork. Make for a great ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84045774
          Yup. Hooked. Cycling combines all the things I love about motorcycling with most of the things I love about running. And it's cheaper than motorcycling, kinda.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            No software, just buy the 305 and sign up at garmin connect.
            Yup. 305 is the best purchase I've ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              First long group ride today. Maybe a bit ambitious for a newbie such as me, but I had an awesome time. Good group that goes out of my local bike shop, which is about six miles from my house. I kept pace with the leaders until the very end (the fastest guys were all out racing today). Other than one minor issue where I couldn't get out of my pedals and had to hang on to somebody so I didn't fall over, it was an awesome ride.

You guys aren't kidding about that whole wind thing. It sucks. See, e.g., the last six miles home (done solo).

My heart and lungs want to do another 50, but my quads are spent.

Oh, and in case I haven't told you, Houston is flat.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84013364
              nikuman, that may be the fastest first ride I've ever seen. Excellent work. I just got back from a 54-mile ordeal to the top of Sierra Road where Stage 4 of the Tour of California will finish a week from Wednesday. Unlike your very fast cruise, I averaged a glacier-like 13 and change. On the other hand, my Garmin says I climbed 4700 feet, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I can't wait to see the Tour finish; it'll be live on Versus.

One other note. I rode solo today while Mrs. PAC and her pals are doing the Wine Country Century. Because I couldn't get a date, I didn't push it at all and a lot of times I was just lollygagging, dillydallying, or whatever the correct cycling term for laziness is. After 40 miles, just as I was getting back to the rolling flats, a couple of very good cyclists passed me and I asked if I could tag along. We cruised along between 22 and 25 mph for 4 miles and it was exhilarating. I used to be afraid to draft (my tortoise-like reaction time made me fear a rear-ender; not that, sickos). But I'm getting the hang of it and it's a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                nikuman, that may be the fastest first ride I've ever seen. Excellent work. I just got back from a 54-mile ordeal to the top of Sierra Road where Stage 4 of the Tour of California will finish a week from Wednesday. Unlike your very fast cruise, I averaged a glacier-like 13 and change. On the other hand, my Garmin says I climbed 4700 feet, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I can't wait to see the Tour finish; it'll be live on Versus.

One other note. I rode solo today while Mrs. PAC and her pals are doing the Wine Country Century. Because I couldn't get a date, I didn't push it at all and a lot of times I was just lollygagging, dillydallying, or whatever the correct cycling term for laziness is. After 40 miles, just as I was getting back to the rolling flats, a couple of very good cyclists passed me and I asked if I could tag along. We cruised along between 22 and 25 mph for 4 miles and it was exhilarating. I used to be afraid to draft (my tortoise-like reaction time made me fear a rear-ender; not that, sickos). But I'm getting the hang of it and it's a blast.
                Make no mistake: my butt is sore. But I earned the soreness!

I also didn't take any real pulls at all, although the first six, last six, and most of the second to last six were done solo.

Comment

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84152088

Brutal wind today. One hour was plenty. I was just trying to keep my heart rate up because it was slow going.

Great ride niku and PAC it's wonderful to hear you've joined the peloton finally.

Comment

I missed my morning ride yesterday due to a fasting blood draw at 7:00am, so I had plans to go out for an evening spin while the kids were at swim practice. Shortly before I was to leave work, I got a call from a buddy of mine that was held up at work, so he was going to have to miss the Wednesday night race here in town. He was looking for someone to ride with, and since all of his fit friends were out racing, he had to settle for a recovering runner trying to suffer his way back into cycling shape.

I was just going to do my usual 18 mile route, but he talked me into doing a different route almost twice that long. And he needed a good hard workout, so we hammered it most of the way. I drafted off him probably 80% of the time, just because I didn't have the power in my legs to come around him. On this moderately hilly route with a decent south wind, we ended up averaging 19.1 mph, no thanks to me. My legs are fried today, but it felt good to get in my first really tough ride of the season.

Comment

Group ride this weekend?

http://youtu.be/EUEcaAc6LC8
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Just got back from a ride. Using Mapmyride app on my phone for the first time. I hope this works.

I almost don't even want to post it. I don't know what was wrong with my body but I felt like throwing up every time I tried to put some leg into it. Must be dehydrated. Hot wind coming out of the south. Here's to better days.
                        Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM. Reason: Not really wanting people to have my exact home address.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          Just got back from a ride. Using Mapmyride app on my phone for the first time. I hope this works.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34245626

I almost don't even want to post it. I don't know what was wrong with my body but I felt like throwing up every time I tried to put some leg into it. Must be dehydrated. Hot wind coming out of the south. Here's to better days.
                          Trying to avoid the women's prison, I see.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            I almost don't even want to post it. I don't know what was wrong with my body but I felt like throwing up every time I tried to put some leg into it.
                            It could be that whole riding-on-the-interstate thing.

Comment

Went out last week on one of my fav rides in the Salt Lake Valley. Wasatch Blvd. From Draper all the way to 3300 S. and it is a great ride..has lots of diversity. Rollers, climbs, flats....scenery overlooking the Salt Lake Valley is awesome as well. My 2nd ride of the year.

Tommorrow....we are taking on Suncrest, from the Salt Lake side...ugh.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34199112

Only 3o miles...but that is to the meeting point. Add another 20 (10 to the start, 10 back home) and we're looking at a decent ride tomorrow. That climb is going to kill me tomorrow. My legs are SO out of shape.
                              "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                                It could be that whole riding-on-the-interstate thing.
                                Ha....funny.

I love the Summerlin area. I still want to do the "Tour de Summerlin" sometime. I always find out about 2 weeks after it has already occured. Never can keep tabs on that one.
                                "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X