Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Anyone have thoughts on a good road ride route in the Heber area? We'll be spending a weekend up there in August and thought it might be fine to do a ride. I'm thinking in the 40-60 mile range.

I thought about the road to Daniels Summit. I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.

I've never ridden in the area but I have seen a bunch of riders going back and forth to kamas, both from park city and from heber city. From what I could tell they were nice wide roads with some steady climbs and fast descents.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on a good road ride route in the Heber area? We'll be spending a weekend up there in August and thought it might be fine to do a ride. I'm thinking in the 40-60 mile range.

I thought about the road to Daniels Summit. I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.
    There are a number of options available. How much climbing do you want to do? Empire Pass is a pretty ride, but it's quite steep. Alpine Loop would be very accessible, but riding down and up Provo Canyon isn't a ton of fun.

One thing that you might look into is the Tour de Park City route. It's 160 miles, but I'm sure you could modify the course to suit your needs. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71768726 They used to have some shorter options, but they don't have those routes listed. You might be able to find them if you do a little searching.

Then there's the Summit Challenge routes. There's a 52-mile option on there that might be interesting. http://summitchallenge100.org/route-registration/
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    There are a number of options available. How much climbing do you want to do? Empire Pass is a pretty ride, but it's quite steep. Alpine Loop would be very accessible, but riding down and up Provo Canyon isn't a ton of fun.

One thing that you might look into is the Tour de Park City route. It's 160 miles, but I'm sure you could modify the course to suit your needs. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71768726 They used to have some shorter options, but they don't have those routes listed. You might be able to find them if you do a little searching.

Then there's the Summit Challenge routes. There's a 52-mile option on there that might be interesting. http://summitchallenge100.org/route-registration/
    Thanks, those are great ideas. The Tour de Park City ride looks epic. Maybe a goal to shoot for next year. I was confused by the title Summit Challenge, when there didn't seem to be many summits reached (high point is around 8,000 feet). Then I realized it was probably referring to Summit County.

Another option I had forgotten about until just after I posted is Wolf Creek Pass . I think starting near Jordanelle dam and doing an up and back ride to the summit would be a fun challenge at the edge of my current ability. It is a narrow road, but isn't heavily travelled. There is about 4,000 feet in elevation change, but if I get gassed it is easy to just turn around and fly back down.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I woke up feeling very blah and didn't feel like riding, but Mrs. PAC cajoled me into action and we had a fun ride over one of our usual routes. It's interesting how much better I feel after a long ride.

At the start of the ride and feeling lousy, I asked the missus if she intended to do any riding while we're up at Tahoe in three weeks. She gave me that "Who are you?" look and said not only was she going to ride, she was going to do the entire Lake again, the first time since the epic CUF ride of 2009. My initial reaction was "Have fun! I'll be waiting for you...", but by the time we finished today I thought, "Oh, why not?" So we're going to ride around Lake Tahoe either Friday, August 21, or Saturday, the 22nd. It's possible another couple (one of my wife's riding pals and her husband--both very good riders getting ready for LOTOJA) will join us. Despite this very late announcement, and the fact that school starting may preclude the participation of many, if anyone would like to join us, you'd be very welcome. I'm not sure if we can provide lodging to anyone, but I'll know within the next day or two. We could certainly provide a pre- and/or post-ride meal, provided you're willing to endure yet another summary of our Civil War rides. Also, no assurance can be given that the Nevada Highway Patrol will be as easily bribed as last time.

The winds were blowing east to west today and I came upon one of my favorite straightaways and wondered if I should take advantage. Feeling pretty good, I turned and rode the wind for 6 miles. I was thinking very far ahead since I then had a really long, diagonal ride back into the wind to get home...but for those brief 18 or so minutes it was glorious.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I woke up feeling very blah and didn't feel like riding, but Mrs. PAC cajoled me into action and we had a fun ride over one of our usual routes. It's interesting how much better I feel after a long ride.

At the start of the ride and feeling lousy, I asked the missus if she intended to do any riding while we're up at Tahoe in three weeks. She gave me that "Who are you?" look and said not only was she going to ride, she was going to do the entire Lake again, the first time since the epic CUF ride of 2009. My initial reaction was "Have fun! I'll be waiting for you...", but by the time we finished today I thought, "Oh, why not?" So we're going to ride around Lake Tahoe either Friday, August 21, or Saturday, the 22nd. It's possible another couple (one of my wife's riding pals and her husband--both very good riders getting ready for LOTOJA) will join us. Despite this very late announcement, and the fact that school starting may preclude the participation of many, if anyone would like to join us, you'd be very welcome. I'm not sure if we can provide lodging to anyone, but I'll know within the next day or two. We could certainly provide a pre- and/or post-ride meal, provided you're willing to endure yet another summary of our Civil War rides. Also, no assurance can be given that the Nevada Highway Patrol will be as easily bribed as last time.
    Have fun! I'll be waiting for your report.

Actually, I kind of wish we could go, but school's starting up the week before (for my wife), and I also have to take my daughter to college. So I really do hope you have fun.

Last Saturday it was mid 40's, no wind and the sun was out, beautiful fall day in Rexburg. I got 36 miles in which got me over the 3000 mile mark for the year. Time to get the skis out.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Last Saturday it was mid 40's, no wind and the sun was out, beautiful fall day in Rexburg. I got 36 miles in which got me over the 3000 mile mark for the year. Time to get the skis out.
    Nice work. I don't think I topped 300 miles this year. It's been a rough one.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Ha! I think I maybe have reached around 300 myself.

Ugghhh.

Next year...right?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/127870

I follow a guy that lives in SLC that has over 10,000 miles this year. I think he's 71 now and I the one time I rode with him I had a had time holding on to his wheel. Crazy miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Ha! I think I maybe have reached around 300 myself.

Ugghhh.

Next year...right?
    Due to sciatica, which thankfully is now fading, I've had to cut back a bit on riding and completely on running. But this weekend I'll pass 2600 on the bike, and I'm holding at a pathetic 320 with running. Mrs. PAC will surpass 5,000 on her bike this week. All of this is possible due to getting rid of the kids and being put out to pasture churchwise, things you young 'uns can only look forward to.

Pre-Historic Man

https://www.strava.com/athletes/127870

I follow a guy that lives in SLC that has over 10,000 miles this year. I think he's 71 now and I the one time I rode with him I had a had time holding on to his wheel. Crazy miles.
    My miles are almost exclusively trainer miles now. With that said, I have about 5000 trainer miles and 500 real miles. Lol.
    For those who doubt's right and entitlement to join the Big XII, may he or she lose his or her earthly positions and honors, be incinerated in a furnace in execration rites, capsize and drown at sea, have no successors, receive no tomb or funerary offerings of his or her own, and their bodies may decay because they will starve without sustenance and their bones will perish."

Administrator of the 18th dynasty, Amenhotep, son of Hapu.

We had a very enjoyable ride this morning amid the brilliant green hills. On one stretch where I love to really crank (by my standards anyway--my betters here would not be impressed) I felt a bit sluggish and was disappointed at my speed (18 or so where we can usually go 25), even with a mild headwind. When I stood up for more power I thought the bike felt a little different (kind of bouncy) but I didn't really focus on it. Finally, after three (!) miles, the last two of which I was struggling to draft Mrs. PAC, I realized I had a flat front tire. It was unusual in that it wasn't fully flat, but maybe 20 psi or so. My typical flats are complete so that I'm essentially riding on my rim, but not this time. I'd pumped up the tires to >110 psi before the ride, so there had definitely been a puncture of some kind. Still, live and learn. I swapped out the tube and we continued on, with me feeling much better about myself, even if I was a dope for not noticing sooner.

We had a very enjoyable ride this morning amid the brilliant green hills. On one stretch where I love to really crank (by my standards anyway--my betters here would not be impressed) I felt a bit sluggish and was disappointed at my speed (18 or so where we can usually go 25), even with a mild headwind. When I stood up for more power I thought the bike felt a little different (kind of bouncy) but I didn't really focus on it. Finally, after three (!) miles, the last two of which I was struggling to draft Mrs. PAC, I realized I had a flat front tire. It was unusual in that it wasn't fully flat, but maybe 20 psi or so. My typical flats are complete so that I'm essentially riding on my rim, but not this time. I'd pumped up the tires to >110 psi before the ride, so there had definitely been a puncture of some kind. Still, live and learn. I swapped out the tube and we continued on, with me feeling much better about myself, even if I was a dope for not noticing sooner.
    I thought I might have a flat tire today, but it turned out to just be a particularly moist section of the dirt/gravel pathway.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I thought you were a tubeless guy? Are you back to using clinchers?

Nice ride btw. The weather down in Houston has been absolutely gorgeous lately so I've been able to get out a bit.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I thought you were a tubeless guy? Are you back to using clinchers?

Nice ride btw. The weather down in Houston has been absolutely gorgeous lately so I've been able to get out a bit.
    I used tubeless until a couple of bad flats (which weren't supposed to happen) sent me back to old school. Until this morning, I hadn't had a flat in months. Today notwithstanding, I've been very happy with my Maxxis Re-Fuse tires.

Nice ride! I got out around the Clayton side of Mt. much lower aDiablo but I refuse to post the map or the stats for, well, personal reasons. But suffice it to say I only rode about 25 miles and had a lower average speed.

Good thing you noticed the low tire pressure. An emergency maneuver on a low tire is a recipe for road rash. You must have had a very slow leak. I had one too, form my last ride and had to fix a flat (I am too cheap to just throw the tubes away; I repair them) before I could go out this morning. ALl the rain we have had lately washes all the gunk into the road and out into the bike lane area.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Nice ride PAC. You guys in Texas and California are killing me, I'm jealous of your weather. The ice and snow finally cleared off our roads and the temps are mid 30's and going up to mid 40's this week so things are looking up here.

We had a fun ride Saturday. It's a relatively easy 45-mile route with only a couple of mild climbs. With ten miles to go, we were averaging just about 17 mph (stopped snickering, people) and wanted to beat that for an average. Mrs. PAC took the point and we were moving along at 20-21 mph on a long flat stretch. From behind us came a group of about fifteen strong riders and as they cruised by I told the wife that if she wanted to grab onto the back, I was game. As the last rider passed, she and I stepped it up and for about a mile, we were flying along at 27 mph, a rare but exhilarating experience for us. Fortunately for me, they eventually turned away from our route and we caught our breath, but with the desired average locked up. It'd be nice to have a group like that to ride with occasionally, as it really forces one to up one's game.

We had a fun ride Saturday. It's a relatively easy 45-mile route with only a couple of mild climbs. With ten miles to go, we were averaging just about 17 mph (stopped snickering, people) and wanted to beat that for an average. Mrs. PAC took the point and we were moving along at 20-21 mph on a long flat stretch. From behind us came a group of about fifteen strong riders and as they cruised by I told the wife that if she wanted to grab onto the back, I was game. As the last rider passed, she and I stepped it up and for about a mile, we were flying along at 27 mph, a rare but exhilarating experience for us. Fortunately for me, they eventually turned away from our route and we caught our breath, but with the desired average locked up. It'd be nice to have a group like that to ride with occasionally, as it really forces one to up one's game.
    I trust you took your turn at the front a few times...
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

More a start of the week ride than a weekend ride, but my ride home from work tonight sucked! It was 90 degrees, and into a 20 mph wind the whole way, sometimes gusting up to 30. The ride is normally into a 3-5 mph wind, and I averaged 18 mph a week ago. Today was 14.3 mph. I just put it in a gear I could still spin in and ground it out. The last two miles are slightly up hill. I ended up doing them in the small chainring, and 3rd largest gear. I felt like a good runner could pass me in the last couple of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    More a start of the week ride than a weekend ride, but my ride home from work tonight sucked! It was 90 degrees, and into a 20 mph wind the whole way, sometimes gusting up to 30. The ride is normally into a 3-5 mph wind, and I averaged 18 mph a week ago. Today was 14.3 mph. I just put it in a gear I could still spin in and ground it out. The last two miles are slightly up hill. I ended up doing them in the small chainring, and 3rd largest gear. I felt like a good runner could pass me in the last couple of miles.
    Nothing is as demoralizing as a stiff head wind
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I've been putting in some more miles the last few weeks after a fairly slow start to my cycling season. With morning kid duty I don't get to start my pre-work morning rides until school gets out. And running the after work/school taxi service has kept me off the bike in the afternoon and evenings up until recently.

So I'm finally back in the saddle. I rode about 45 or 46 miles on Saturday with some decent climbing. Had a good solid ride this morning with some brief, high intensity intervals thrown in. Just after my last one my buddy punctured, so we spent 10 minutes at the road side changing it out. As I was standing there holding the frame I was really feeling the intervals, which I'm not yet used to this year, and felt pretty nauseous to point of wishing I would just throw up and get it over with. But alas, I didn't toss my cookies by the side of the road, and now I'm feeling better (thanks for asking) but I am dead tired in the office today.

I love cruising along in a group. We have our TNR (Tuesday night ride) and it really does make riders faster. It's a mind battle, do I push hard and try keep up so I don't have to ride back alone or is the pain not worth it any longer and I don't mind a nice gentle ride by myself home. Come on up PAC and we will show you some Idaho country on our TNR.

I love cruising along in a group. We have our TNR (Tuesday night ride) and it really does make riders faster. It's a mind battle, do I push hard and try keep up so I don't have to ride back alone or is the pain not worth it any longer and I don't mind a nice gentle ride by myself home. Come on up PAC and we will show you some Idaho country on our TNR.
    Seriously, I'd love that. I'm not sure how long I could hang, and I wouldn't spend any time up front, but I'm certain that for at least some fleeting moments it would be a real rush.

I'm about to be wheeled into surgery... During our ride yesterday, I was drafting a cement truck for 2 miles down a long descent. Best guess is I hit a small rock which flipped my front wheel and I did an endo, landing on my face and left elbow (not the one I broke in '04). Ulna and the end thingy on the elbow are totally shattered. Multiple facial fractures and a broken palate but they'll work on that next week. An orbit is fractured but no eye damage. No spine damage. I was in front of Mrs.PAC and two friends who said it was the worst crash they'd seen. Blood everywhere. She told the docs "He doesn't do anything half assed ." Well, sort of.

I'll report tomorrow but it doesn't look like l'll be on the bike for awhile

Princeps Inter Pares

I'm about to be wheeled into surgery... During our ride yesterday, I was drafting a cement truck for 2 miles down a long descent. Best guess is I hit a small rock which flipped my front wheel and I did an endo, landing on my face and left elbow (not the one I broke in '04). Ulna and the end thingy on the elbow are totally shattered. Multiple facial fractures and a broken palate but they'll work on that next week. An orbit is fractured but no eye damage. No spine damage. I was in front of Mrs.PAC and two friends who said it was the worst crash they'd seen. Blood everywhere. She told the docs "He doesn't do anything half assed ." Well, sort of.

Dang. Sorry to hear it-- best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

holy smokes. good luck man.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I hate to hear about this happening to anyone, but especially one of the good guys. Hope all goes well, and the pain is bearable.