No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just did a forty miler in a 109 plus heat. Nothing to write home about.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      I had a new experience today. About five miles into my ride I'm out on this quiet country road that is home to a big fast angry dog. While I'm on the lookout for this dog I get hit in the back of the head. It felt like someone threw a football at me but the sound was of a hard object. I had no idea what was going on until I looked behind me and this big bird is hovering about fifteen feet above my head and looking to attack again. I put my head down and got the hell out of there but I wasn't real sure what to do if he came after me again. It's not enough that I have to worry about a ground attack from all the dogs in the area but if I have to start worrying about attacks from the air also I'm screwed.

BTW the other 35 miles were nice with no problems today.
      I got hit with a beer can the other day. Talk about being attacked. That hurt.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Wow, Brutus, a 115-mile unsupported ride with 8800 feet of climbing? I assume you found a few water stops along the way for refills. Looks like a fun ride, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Wow, Brutus, a 115-mile unsupported ride with 8800 feet of climbing? I assume you found a few water stops along the way for refills. Looks like a fun ride, though.
          We had three stops along the way at a café and gas stations on the route to refill and refuel. It was a lot of fun and a pretty ride. It was also a lot of fun riding with a bigger group. I do most of my riding solo or with one other person, so it was a little different for me.
          When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Do you use Strava? I just started and it's amazing how many segments of our rides are measured. It's also a little depressing as I'm rarely above the median. Sure I take solace that the app is used primarily by serious riders, and the fact that I'm 60, but still. I'm thinking about signing up for premium membership which shows results by age category, although that might be depressing as well.

On the other hand, Mrs. PAC (who is similarly aged) is kicking butt in the women's division. She just texted me that she just completed the 9th fastest descent on Calaveras (our most frequent ride), out of hundreds of women. I may have to go Cavendish on her for our weekend ride, either that or fly out Bellavela to bring my wife down a peg on the descents.

Comment

Do you use Strava? I just started and it's amazing how many segments of our rides are measured. It's also a little depressing as I'm rarely above the median. Sure I take solace that the app is used primarily by serious riders, and the fact that I'm 60, but still. I'm thinking about signing up for premium membership which shows results by age category, although that might be depressing as well.

On the other hand, Mrs. PAC (who is similarly aged) is kicking butt in the women's division. She just texted me that she just completed the 9th fastest descent on Calaveras (our most frequent ride), out of hundreds of women. I may have to go Cavendish on her for our weekend ride, either that or fly out Bellavela to bring my wife down a peg on the descents.
              Can you upload your garmin stuff to it? Is that how it works?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                yes, I have been using it for about a year now and love it. Although, like PAC, I find myself to be severely lacking compared to my local riders.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  As Coach noted, yes. And it's very simple. Indeed, it's just like Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center, but with loads of data about how you're comparing with other riders over various segments. For example, the 40-miler I did Saturday is broken out into around 35 segments, on all of which I was, at best, very mediocre! Here's the ride (can't tell if it's public, though). I joined Strava after the ride; if I'd known about it beforehand, I'm sure I would have been much, much faster. Honest.

Another feature can show your wattage output, but since I'd be lucky to keep a nightlight illuminated, I haven't set that up.

Comment

• You can use your Garmin or your cell phone. Cell phones are notorious for inflating the vertical though.

When I first signed up for Strava (nearly two years ago), I weighed over 260. Strava wouldn't accept my weight in their field - their max was 250. I guess they thought fat guys wouldn't use their site. I submitted an enhancement request and, to their credit, they increased the max weight a few weeks later.

Unfortunately, the weight category lumps everything above 200 lbs and up. If Strava would make weight categories above 200 lbs I would be much more likely to upgrade to premium. I just submitted an enhancement request for that, we'll see what happens.

Comment

As Coach noted, yes. And it's very simple. Indeed, it's just like Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center, but with loads of data about how you're comparing with other riders over various segments. For example, the 40-miler I did Saturday is broken out into around 35 segments, on all of which I was, at best, very mediocre! Here's the ride (can't tell if it's public, though). I joined Strava after the ride; if I'd known about it beforehand, I'm sure I would have been much, much faster. Honest.

Another feature can show your wattage output, but since I'd be lucky to keep a nightlight illuminated, I haven't set that up.
                      I imagine wattage is only for those riding with power meters, right?
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        I imagine wattage is only for those riding with power meters, right?
                        They can calulate it from the data. Elevation gain, speed, weight, etc.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          They can calulate it from the data. Elevation gain, speed, weight, etc.
                          Wouldn't they need to know wind speed/direction, bike weight, tire selection, etc.? I'm new to this, so I may be way off here.
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                            Wouldn't they need to know wind speed/direction, bike weight, tire selection, etc.? I'm new to this, so I may be way off here.
                            The accuracy is questionable, but it can be done roughly.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              The accuracy is questionable, but it can be done roughly.
                              check this out:

http://bikecalculator.com/index.html
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• We had the last of the weekend rides with the kids today as Parrothead joined us for the Palomares loop. Although not accustomed to these types of climbs, PH left us in the dust until we met at the top. He was also not accustomed to 40 mph descents, but handled those just fine as well. As I was struggling up a Cat 2 climb after only 12 miles, I thought about the TdF guys and how, after going 100 miles and after days of multiple rated climbs, they would not doubt sail past me at 3x my speed. At once sad and inspiring.

And I signed up for Strava Premium, as with that service one can compare oneself to others within one's age group, and not just to those of all ages where I'm generally in the middle of the pack or worse. Imagine my pleasure to discover that on the Palomares descent I'm ranked in the top fourth of my age group. Imagine that pleasure being curbed a bit when I discovered I'm tied with a 63 year-old woman named Peggy. Riding with Mrs. PAC I should know better than to think me superior to the fairer sex.

Comment

Working...
                                X