No announcement yet.

Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.
    hi

Comment

• Had my first crash today. Was riding #3 with four total riders. We did 41 miles and at mile 36 a white truck came from a crossroad and looked like it was going to do one of those rolling stops as it was trying to turn right. He didn't seem to see us so the front man braked hard and the second guy went into him. I heard one of them yell "look out" so I had time to brake but it was too late. I did miss the guy in front of me as I swerved left but ended up laying the bike down going 20 mph. Landed on my left hip, which is now bruised and my whole left side got scraped up. It was bitter cold so I had on a couple layers, which helped keep the road rash to a minimum. I did hit my helmet on the ground so my neck is a bit sore as well.

The bike looks fine but the lead guy's rear derailleur got bent as the guy behind him ran into it. The second guy had a big dent in his front fork (maybe from hitting the derailleur...?) but the bike is aluminum so at least it's kind of fixable. The rear guy thankfully didn't go down. We were able to make the final 5 miles without too much issue even with the damage to the two other bikes.

When I hit the ground I was a bit shook up and of course my first instinct was to make sure no cars coming up from behind would hit me since I had veered a bit to the left. Then I stood up and knew I'd be sore. I purposely took my time since I was right in front of the truck that caused it all. Once I had cleared his path, he just took off, which seems weird and incredibly inconsiderate to not even ask if we are okay.

I'll post some pics of my bruise later as I'm sure everyone is wondering what my naked, bruised hip looks like.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Glad you’re okay Moliere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Had my first crash today. Was riding #3 with four total riders. We did 41 miles and at mile 36 a white truck came from a crossroad and looked like it was going to do one of those rolling stops as it was trying to turn right. He didn't seem to see us so the front man braked hard and the second guy went into him. I heard one of them yell "look out" so I had time to brake but it was too late. I did miss the guy in front of me as I swerved left but ended up laying the bike down going 20 mph. Landed on my left hip, which is now bruised and my whole left side got scraped up. It was bitter cold so I had on a couple layers, which helped keep the road rash to a minimum. I did hit my helmet on the ground so my neck is a bit sore as well.

The bike looks fine but the lead guy's rear derailleur got bent as the guy behind him ran into it. The second guy had a big dent in his front fork (maybe from hitting the derailleur...?) but the bike is aluminum so at least it's kind of fixable. The rear guy thankfully didn't go down. We were able to make the final 5 miles without too much issue even with the damage to the two other bikes.

When I hit the ground I was a bit shook up and of course my first instinct was to make sure no cars coming up from behind would hit me since I had veered a bit to the left. Then I stood up and knew I'd be sore. I purposely took my time since I was right in front of the truck that caused it all. Once I had cleared his path, he just took off, which seems weird and incredibly inconsiderate to not even ask if we are okay.

I'll post some pics of my bruise later as I'm sure everyone is wondering what my naked, bruised hip looks like.
          Somehow I missed this post. I, too, am glad you're ok.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Moliere, while discussing at length your accident with my wife (we take a keen interest in bike crashes...), I, too, neglected to acknowledge your mishap. No doubt you're a bit shaken and in considerable discomfort, but I'm very glad it didn't turn out much worse.

We' were a bit more shaken by an accident Sunday in which a female cyclist (in her 50s and a regular along the same routes my wife rides) apparently and inexplicably lost control on a moderate downhill (where have I heard this before?), went off the road and died at the scene. Take care, everyone!

Comment

Had my first crash today. Was riding #3 with four total riders. We did 41 miles and at mile 36 a white truck came from a crossroad and looked like it was going to do one of those rolling stops as it was trying to turn right. He didn't seem to see us so the front man braked hard and the second guy went into him. I heard one of them yell "look out" so I had time to brake but it was too late. I did miss the guy in front of me as I swerved left but ended up laying the bike down going 20 mph. Landed on my left hip, which is now bruised and my whole left side got scraped up. It was bitter cold so I had on a couple layers, which helped keep the road rash to a minimum. I did hit my helmet on the ground so my neck is a bit sore as well.

Sucks. Continuous crashes have rendered me less enthusiastic.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                Moliere, while discussing at length your accident with my wife (we take a keen interest in bike crashes...), I, too, neglected to acknowledge your mishap. No doubt you're a bit shaken and in considerable discomfort, but I'm very glad it didn't turn out much worse.

We' were a bit more shaken by an accident Sunday in which a female cyclist (in her 50s and a regular along the same routes my wife rides) apparently and inexplicably lost control on a moderate downhill (where have I heard this before?), went off the road and died at the scene. Take care, everyone!
                Ha (not funny ha). The impact of the crash has been interesting. I was mostly hurting Saturday from the scrapes. Then Sunday I hurt mostly from the soreness in the hip and neck. Monday my knee and ankle were sore. Tuesday I actually went for a run and while the knee and ankle were still a bit sore, I was fine. However, Tuesday morning I had bruises on my inner thigh and calf muscle on the left side (presumably from where my bike frame landed on my leg). Today the soreness is mostly gone but the scrapes still hurt a bit.

The biggest impact though is a little less desire to ride with a group, which is a bit odd. But I do feel a loss of control when following in a group and feel a bit apprehensive right now to not take some of thatcontrol back. Bottom line is that I’ll ride on Saturday, but it will likely be a solo ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Ha (not funny ha). The impact of the crash has been interesting. I was mostly hurting Saturday from the scrapes. Then Sunday I hurt mostly from the soreness in the hip and neck. Monday my knee and ankle were sore. Tuesday I actually went for a run and while the knee and ankle were still a bit sore, I was fine. However, Tuesday morning I had bruises on my inner thigh and calf muscle on the left side (presumably from where my bike frame landed on my leg). Today the soreness is mostly gone but the scrapes still hurt a bit.

The biggest impact though is a little less desire to ride with a group, which is a bit odd. But I do feel a loss of control when following in a group and feel a bit apprehensive right now to not take some of thatcontrol back. Bottom line is that I’ll ride on Saturday, but it will likely be a solo ride.

Group rides are enjoyable when (a) you are fit, (b) you know the abilities of the other riders and (c) nobody does anything crazy. However, after many crashes and several trips to the ER, I've grown tired of descending like a bat out of hell. I've hit the ground at thirty plus before, and it hurts like hell.

Sorry you are in pain and hope you recover quickly.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• riding a bike sounds like a lot of fun. I can see why you guys are such avid cyclists.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• I hope you heal quickly, Mol.

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      after many crashes and several trips to the ER, I've grown tired of descending like a bat out of hell. I've hit the ground at thirty plus before, and it hurts like hell
                      It would help if you didn't ride like a maniac. Take it a little easier and enjoy the scenery, not the asphalt. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        I hope you heal quickly, Mol.

It would help if you didn't ride like a maniac. Take it a little easier and enjoy the scenery, not the asphalt. ;-)
                        Riding with my wife makes it easier as she likes to ride hard up the hill but is very gentle descending.

Comment

I've backed off riding with a group, I love it but my fear of going down is winning. That six inches behind has turned into two feet, I've very careful any more in a group.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            I've backed off riding with a group, I love it but my fear of going down is winning. That six inches behind has turned into two feet, I've very careful any more in a group.
                            I guess it also depends on the group. This group is people I’ve ridden with before, but I didn’t feel comfortable at the beginning with them. It didn’t help that the two lead guys are much stronger but their riding was a bit more aggressive as well. They aren’t out for exercise but are more like Strava-hero types. I miss riding with 2-3 other guys that were more my speed and demeanor but they all moved away

I’ve got a new bruise on the top of my left butt cheek. Not sure where that came from. Maybe the seat hitting me but I feel good today. I ran 3 miles this morning and only the ankle is still a tinge sore but I should be good for my weekend warrior ride on Saturday in the 30 degree temps...

Comment

• Yeah, sorry about your wreck Moliere. I've only had one wreck, but that turned out to be a very expensive and disruptive wreck. Even though it was a freak accident, it still made me more gun shy once I got back on the bike. And like most of you guys, I try to avoid group rides. I have 2-3 other guys that I am comfortable riding with, but that is about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                As we age healing takes so much longer and on one occasion I was at fault. You feel like an idiot when you're to blame. I just want the fitness as I won't prove anything by beating a guy half my age.

Comment

Working...
                                X