Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    E bike

I did the same ride yesterday, and some big guy was in front of me and I didn't pass him until about 3/4 up. I'll bet he had one too. I remember looking at his bike at the top and thinking his seat looked pretty beefy and the frame was also pretty beefy. Now it all makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I did the same ride yesterday, and some big guy was in front of me and I didn't pass him until about 3/4 up. I'll bet he had one too. I remember looking at his bike at the top and thinking his seat looked pretty beefy and the frame was also pretty beefy. Now it all makes sense.
    Or you could just really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Or you could just really suck.
    Probably just as likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    This is likely more of an indictment of the watts output of my motor, but on my ride up to South Fork today, I was passed by a fat girl. I'm not kidding she was big, and she was moving fast. By the time I crested the last hill before the final climb, she passed me on her way down.
    I had a similar experience about two months ago. I was riding down a larger neighborhood street and a guy on a city cruiser bike caught up to me and passed me and when he did we looked at me and waved. Now, I'm no speed demon and probably going around 18-19 mph but he looked like it was effortless, which I finally saw that the back of the frame was much larger than normal and he obviously had some sort of pedal assistance. I'll admit that I was jealous for a second since the guy wasn't even sweating.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Strava says I average two rides per week. I rode up Provo Canyon today and lamented that the seasons are changing. I hate the cold with a passion, so it takes much of the joy out of riding for me, even if I'm properly layered. Still, today was enjoyable. Another PR on my favorite ride up South Fork.

My last ride was Thursday. Now winter has hit. I've been using riding this year to help stave off depression--COVID isolation has taken a toll.

I've decided that I need to keep riding just as soon as the ice melts. What strategies do people use to ride in the winter with snow and ice? Are fat bikes good? I can't imagine riding downhill very fast, even on one of them.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

I usually stick to residential roads on dry days. I’ll usually ride hills to get the heart rate up and the calorie furnace burning. I’ll take a thin jacket to put on for descents.

When we have had stretches of weather, I have a trainer I can put the bike on to spin some miles. But I’m not sure a stationary trainer has ever been prescribed as a deterrent for depression.

Fat bikes would only needed on snow packed trails or unplowed roads.