Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Road up a mountain today. My first attempt was 2 days ago at Butterfield Canyon and it didn't go well I guess I should have realized that a 12% grade would be tough. Today I chose an easier climb (Emigration Canyon) and had a great ride and a great time. I didn't know the route at all and neither did the guy I rode with so I had a bit left in the tank when I got to the top as I saved it just in case things got really tough.

I'm now hooked on climbing which is a bad thing for someone living in Houston. Oh, and the descent was an absolute blast.
    I love climbing, even when I'm not in great shape. Bombing down a descent is a blast as well. What was your max speed?
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

Pre-Historic Man

What is your max speed ever? Mine is 65 but I don't rhink I will try that again. 40 to 50 is the most I want.
    黑猫, 白猫, 只要会抓老鼠的就是哦好猫

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    What is your max speed ever? Mine is 65 but I don't rhink I will try that again. 40 to 50 is the most I want.
    I haven't broken 50, nor do I ever intend to. I still love remembering Viking's claim that he topped 70 coming down Mt. Diablo. Absolutely impossible, but the legend endures.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I haven't broken 50, nor do I ever intend to. I still love remembering Viking's claim that he topped 70 coming down Mt. Diablo. Absolutely impossible, but the legend endures.
    On the Jackson Hole side the pass is a pretty steady 10% grade with one straight stretch of about about a 1/4 mile. We very briefly hit 60. This was 20 years ago and I rarely go 40 anymore. I doubt 70 is possible but if it is just imagine the carnage of going down at 70 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    On the Jackson Hole side the pass is a pretty steady 10% grade with one straight stretch of about about a 1/4 mile. We very briefly hit 60. This was 20 years ago and I rarely go 40 anymore. I doubt 70 is possible but if it is just imagine the carnage of going down at 70 mph.
    I'm sure 70 is doable on certain ski-jump-like stretches (straight, steep and long), but no stretch on Diablo has those three elements combined. And 60? No thanks. I think mtnbkr and bellavella might do that (she passed me going 50+ at Tahoe Northstar), but not this elderly couple.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm sure 70 is doable on certain ski-jump-like stretches (straight, steep and long), but no stretch on Diablo has those three elements combined. And 60? No thanks. I think mtnbkr and bellavella might do that (she passed me going 50+ at Tahoe Northstar), but not this elderly couple.
    My uncle the bike racer hit 68 on a tandem
    Coming down parleys canyon some years back. That's the fastest I personally know of.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

The wife just showed me today's Strava report for Ten Dam's ride today (she follows several of the TdF riders who post on Strava); he hit 69.1 coming down from Tourmalet. Sheesh.

Pre-Historic Man

The time I hit 65 I was following a semi down Mt. CHARLESTON. Insane.
    黑猫, 白猫, 只要会抓老鼠的就是哦好猫

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I love climbing, even when I'm not in great shape. Bombing down a descent is a blast as well. What was your max speed?
    My Garmin shows the max speed at 36 which sounds right. At one point I was really flying but my bike started to wobble so I slowed down...which was probably at 36. I borrowed a bike for the climb from my BIL who is just over 6 feet and I'm only 5'9" on a good day. Climbing wasn't an issue as I stayed in the tops all the way up but coming down I was really stretched out in the drops. I think with my bike I could have gone a bit faster.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I had a good ride this am. About 46 miles into the hills. I've done the route dozens of time, but it remains one of my favorites. Took 2 new guys with us today. One was a friend that is coming off an ACL reconstruction about a year ago. He kicked all of our butts on the climbs. The other new guys was a 17 nephew of my buddy. He started the ride having already ridden 150 miles on the week. Seriously, what 17 year old does that on his summer vacation?

I'm still not climbing very well, as I haven't work very hard on getting into climbing form (or weight!!!) this year. But I felt really good on the flats and rollers. I beat the guys on the final short KOM heading back into town, which effectively nullifies the fact that they beat me by like 20 minutes on the big boy 9 mile climb.
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

Trying to get ready for the big day so I pounded out a 120 miles yesterday. It was warm and it really was one of those days where the wind shifted and was in my face all day. It was slow, I hurt but I got a lot of saddle time which I was hoping for.

RC, that's impressive. Does your back get stiff on that long of a ride ? Do you stop and stretch ?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    RC, that's impressive. Does your back get stiff on that long of a ride ? Do you stop and stretch ?
    Every time I ride I can count on my lower back tightening up right at the hour mark. In order to feel better I get out of the saddle on small hills and that seems to work it out. It comes and goes during my long rides but just getting out of the saddle seems to help. I've tried yoga and stretching but nothing seems to make much of a difference so if you find the trick let me know.

My lower back starts up about the same time so I may try getting out of saddle. One day last week I stopped,stood and stretched, got back on bike and back was fine. It was really fast but I'd like to not stop. I did this twice last week. On another note tomorrow will be first ride with new chain and cassette.