Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Weekend Ride Reports

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Anyone have thoughts on a good road ride route in the Heber area? We'll be spending a weekend up there in August and thought it might be fine to do a ride. I'm thinking in the 40-60 mile range.

I thought about the road to Daniels Summit. I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.

I've never ridden in the area but I have seen a bunch of riders going back and forth to kamas, both from park city and from heber city. From what I could tell they were nice wide roads with some steady climbs and fast descents.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on a good road ride route in the Heber area? We'll be spending a weekend up there in August and thought it might be fine to do a ride. I'm thinking in the 40-60 mile range.

I thought about the road to Daniels Summit. I've driven it a few times recently but didn't pay attention to how ride-able it might be. I seem to remember a lot of petroleum tankers on the road which gives me a little pause.
    There are a number of options available. How much climbing do you want to do? Empire Pass is a pretty ride, but it's quite steep. Alpine Loop would be very accessible, but riding down and up Provo Canyon isn't a ton of fun.

One thing that you might look into is the Tour de Park City route. It's 160 miles, but I'm sure you could modify the course to suit your needs. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71768726 They used to have some shorter options, but they don't have those routes listed. You might be able to find them if you do a little searching.

Then there's the Summit Challenge routes. There's a 52-mile option on there that might be interesting. http://summitchallenge100.org/route-registration/
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    There are a number of options available. How much climbing do you want to do? Empire Pass is a pretty ride, but it's quite steep. Alpine Loop would be very accessible, but riding down and up Provo Canyon isn't a ton of fun.

One thing that you might look into is the Tour de Park City route. It's 160 miles, but I'm sure you could modify the course to suit your needs. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71768726 They used to have some shorter options, but they don't have those routes listed. You might be able to find them if you do a little searching.

Then there's the Summit Challenge routes. There's a 52-mile option on there that might be interesting. http://summitchallenge100.org/route-registration/
    Thanks, those are great ideas. The Tour de Park City ride looks epic. Maybe a goal to shoot for next year. I was confused by the title Summit Challenge, when there didn't seem to be many summits reached (high point is around 8,000 feet). Then I realized it was probably referring to Summit County.

Another option I had forgotten about until just after I posted is Wolf Creek Pass . I think starting near Jordanelle dam and doing an up and back ride to the summit would be a fun challenge at the edge of my current ability. It is a narrow road, but isn't heavily travelled. There is about 4,000 feet in elevation change, but if I get gassed it is easy to just turn around and fly back down.