No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix now allows you to download some of its content for offline viewing. You can do it right in the app, then watch on a long road trip or on the bus (I'm looking at you, Clark). Save your wireless plan!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
      I was browsing and came across a Strange Documentary with no information but the title peaked my interest.. "I Am Your Father".

Began watching it and low and behold it is the untold story of Darth Vader and how the actor who played Darth Vader had his shinning moment (The reveal of his face in Return of the Jedi) pulled right out from under him by Lucas without even telling him..

Very interesting story!
      Yeah George Lucas is a dick to David Prowse. In addition to not really getting any money for playing darth vader, he imposed a lifelong ban on him attending Star Wars conventions, too. I heard they inserted Sebastian Shaw into the mask as sort of a favor to Alec Guinness since Shaw was kind of down on his luck and needed a gig.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
        Yeah George Lucas is a dick to David Prowse. In addition to not really getting any money for playing darth vader, he imposed a lifelong ban on him attending Star Wars conventions, too. I heard they inserted Sebastian Shaw into the mask as sort of a favor to Alec Guinness since Shaw was kind of down on his luck and needed a gig.
        In the documentary Lucas blames him for possibly revealing Darth as Luke's father. But the fact is he did not do it and was blamed for it.

Makes me dislike Lucas much more after watching this. What a dick!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• For those of you who enjoyed Guns N Rose, I highly recommend the documentary titled "Its So Easy & Other Lies".

Set to the acoustic sounds of GNR music, this documentary is the life of bassist Duff Mckagan of his life in Seattle, to heading to LA and joining GNR. The redemption story of overcoming his drug and alcohol addiction.

It's kinda like a book reading with mixed interviews of those close to him.

Found it to be cool to get to know this person on a more personal level and his family background etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
            For those of you who enjoyed Guns N Rose, I highly recommend the documentary titled "Its So Easy & Other Lies".

Set to the acoustic sounds of GNR music, this documentary is the life of bassist Duff Mckagan of his life in Seattle, to heading to LA and joining GNR. The redemption story of overcoming his drug and alcohol addiction.

It's kinda like a book reading with mixed interviews of those close to him.

Found it to be cool to get to know this person on a more personal level and his family background etc.

Oh nice. Totally watching that.

In other news, just watched Ep. 1 of the documentary series Hip Hop Evolution, which installment covered Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaata and the breakbeat parties in the 70s South Bronx that birthed Hip Hop. It's pretty good watching so far.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Picture these musical artists..

Arthur Alexander – You Better Move On
              Aretha Franklin- I Never Loved a Man
              Wilson Picket- Mustang Sally, Hey Jude
              Rolling Stones- Brown Sugar, Wild Horses
              Non Dylan- Pressing On
              Alicia Keys- Pressing On
              Paul Simon-Kodachrome
              The Black Keys-Everlasting Light
              Clarence Carter-Snatching It Back
              Percy Sledge – When a Man Loves a Woman
              Lynard Skynard- Free Bird, What’s Your Name, Sweet Home Alabama

This is just a small portion of the bands that have journeyed to a small town in Norther Alabama called “Muscle Shoals”. Lynard Skynard even mentions the little known band “The Swampers” in their hit song “Sweet home Alabama”. If you are looking for an awesome musical documentary, this one is for you. Not only does it take you back in time over 40 years, but it shows you how a “Old Country” southern man (Rick Hall), created a recording studio that was considered the place to record for over 30 years. It even tips it toes into the racial tension of its time and the local “white boys” (The Swampers) being the band for most of the Rhythm and Blues and soulful music that were such great hits.

For me, this was even more personal, as I spent close to 9 months of my mission serving in this area, and 6 months alone in Muscle Shoals. Visually, I was brought back in time and relished in the scenery of my former stomping grounds. But astounded by the idea that such music was created here in a city that had a population of roughly 8,000 back in the day and was not that much bigger when I was there.

If you have the time, take the 1 hr. and 51 minutes and watch this great historical documentary on how racism was never an issue in this norther town of Alabama, and enjoy the great music that was created there..

The Documentary is called ‘Muscle Shoals”..

Comment

• Docuseries called Captive.. watched the last episode as it peaked my interest. Called "The Peacemakers of Iraq".

I was a bit miffed by their actions after they were found and released by the military. Felt like they were kind of ungrateful to me.

Interesting documentary series.

Comment

• The Summit. Documentary about the doomed K2 expedition of 2008 where 11 climbers perished. Fascinating.

One in four climbers who attempt K2 will die trying. Pretty easy to see why after watching this.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    The Summit. Documentary about the doomed K2 expedition of 2008 where 11 climbers perished. Fascinating.

One in four climbers who attempt K2 will die trying. Pretty easy to see why after watching this.
                    I read the book. Very fascinating and I found how the book remarks to the person having to be a ego-driven kind of guy to do that.

Comment

• Not Netflix, but an HBO show (is that kosher?):

Marathon: The Patriot Day's Bombing.

Follows six victims of the bombing while interspersing footage (some of it incredible) about the bombings. I'll be honest, I cried at the end.

Comment

• The Medici show on Netflix is okay, I think I've seen four episodes so far. The episodes flip back and forth between two time periods, twenty years apart.

Robb Stark plays Cosimo Medici and Dustin Hoffman plays Giovani Medici, the Medici who started the bank. Robb has to play the same character twenty years apart. He's the right age to pull it off because he's 30 years old and can either play a 20 year old (hell, Patrick Swayze was damn near 40 in Red Dawn) or a young looking 40 year old. But the comedy comes in when they have an actor playing his 18-20 year old son who in real life is only a couple years younger than Robb Stark.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Just started watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend after seeing it on several top 10 lists. Only two episodes in so far, but I'm really liking it. Very unique and pretty damn funny.

Comment

• I just meant to watch one episode of The OA this morning. It is really very good, and I am ashamed to say that I binge watched a lot of it today. Don't expect it to be a realistic detective story. It veers into the impossible, and then later you think, "Okay, that is kind of explainable." So, internally consistent.

It is TV-MA, for two gratuitous sex scenes in episodes 1 and 4, and a sprinkling of the f-word (about 4 per episode).

Comment

• A Norwegian mini-series called "Occupied" about a Russian 'velvet' invasion to secure oil resources. It has a couple of premises that are hard to accept but if you look past those it is very well done.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                I just meant to watch one episode of The OA this morning. It is really very good, and I am ashamed to say that I binge watched a lot of it today. Don't expect it to be a realistic detective story. It veers into the impossible, and then later you think, "Okay, that is kind of explainable." So, internally consistent.

It is TV-MA, for two gratuitous sex scenes in episodes 1 and 4, and a sprinkling of the f-word (about 4 per episode).
                                I finished it recently (we started it like...two days earlier. Very addicting).

The ending was frustrating. Definitely setting up for a season 2, but unfortunately I'll have to wait a year for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X