No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In all seriousness, if Netflix wants to get more people over 50, start up a streaming news channel. If they streamed live sports, everyone would pay them twice as much and happily cancel cable.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Best of Enemies. Documentary about a series of TV debates between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal in 1968.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3518012/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_2

Mesmerizing to watch these two go at each other. Recommended.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Best of Enemies. Documentary about a series of TV debates between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal in 1968.

Seconded. Very entertaining.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Best of Enemies. Documentary about a series of TV debates between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal in 1968.

Are these the debates where Buckley calls Vidal a queer and Vidal calls Buckley a crypto-nazi?

When I was in High School William F. Buckley Jr. was my hero. I subscribed to the National Review and even read every one of his Blackford Oakes novels.
          Last edited by Non Sequitur; 02-03-2016, 06:00 PM.
          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
            Are these the debates where Buckley calls Vidal a queer and Vidal calls Buckley a crypto-nazi?

When I was in High School William F. Buckley Jr. was my hero. I subscribed to the National Review and even read every copy of his Blackford Oakes novels.
            Based on the trailer, yes it is.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

When I was in High School William F. Buckley Jr. was my hero. I subscribed to the National Review and even read every one of his Blackford Oakes novels.
              Yes, but in the other order.
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Based on the trailer, yes it is.
              :five:
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Just finished it, and loved it. When did our political commentators become so dumb? Today we have Hannity and Beck on one side and Keith Olberman on the other. That's sad.
                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Vidal was a particularly nasty guy and Buckley clearly didn't know how to handle him. On the air even now people don't call each other Nazis, especially when they're sitting a few feet apart. In 1968, I think quite a few people would have responded poorly to the insult, though not necessarily calling him a queer.

Buckley made a living with bringing people on with differing viewpoints and as far as I know nothing like the Vidal incident happened again. Vidal on the other hand, had a history of these nasty, personal disagreements with people throughout his life.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Just finished it, and loved it. When did our political commentators become so dumb? Today we have Hannity and Beck on one side and Keith Olberman on the other. That's sad.
                    I stumbled across this clip last night (long story) and thought of this thread. Gore Vidal vs Normal Mailer on the Dick Cavett show. Highly contentious and ends up being everybody vs Mailer. I can't imagine that a panel of authors and intellectuals as talk show guests would draw enough attention for ratings these days, even if they did nothing but insult each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      Vidal was a particularly nasty guy and Buckley clearly didn't know how to handle him. On the air even now people don't call each other Nazis, especially when they're sitting a few feet apart. In 1968, I think quite a few people would have responded poorly to the insult, though not necessarily calling him a queer.

Buckley made a living with bringing people on with differing viewpoints and as far as I know nothing like the Vidal incident happened again. Vidal on the other hand, had a history of these nasty, personal disagreements with people throughout his life.
                      No matter what one thinks of Buckley's politics, the guy was brilliant. And except for that one gaffe (justifiable I think), nobody could match him in a debate.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

No matter what one thinks of Buckley's politics, the guy was brilliant. And except for that one gaffe (justifiable I think), nobody could match him in a debate.
                        One of my favorite encounters was when Robert Vaughn (The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) was WFB's guest on Firing Line and they debated over Vietnam. A total mismatch and within ten minutes Vaughn was drenched in flop sweat. Like NonSeq, I was a big WFB fan and a subscriber to The National Review in high school (the late '60s).

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          One of my favorite encounters was when Robert Vaughn (The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) was WFB's guest on Firing Line and they debated over Vietnam. A total mismatch and within ten minutes Vaughn was drenched in flop sweat. Like NonSeq, I was a big WFB fan and a subscriber to The National Review in high school (the late '60s).
                          Sure but Robert Vaughn was a spy and in the towering inferno and so forth while Buckley just talked a lot.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            WFB and Milton Friedman were two of my childhood heroes. Have you read the book by WFB's son about his remembrances of his WFB as WFB was dying?
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Daredevil's new villain has me pretty stoked...

Just saw the new teaser on FB.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                                Daredevil's new villain has me pretty stoked...

Just saw the new teaser on FB.
                                Yeah, looks good.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X