Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    What he claimed was worse, IMO.
    Just trying to correct the record, counselor.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• City of God (Cidade de Deus). Easily in my top 10 movies of all time.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I read the New Yorker article a couple of days ago but didn't like it much. I recommend this summary by Clay Travis:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...urderer-011016

I agree with all his points. Except that crap at the end about Avery's sister being hot.

People who complain that the show was biased are missing the point. If you couldn't tell 30 minutes into the series that it was going to be favorable to the defense viewpoint, then there is something wrong with you. Go ahead and filter it while you watch. Also, of course they don't put in all the evidence. But they put in plenty to tell the story. I am certain that Avery is guilty, but I still think the cops and prosecutors involved are slimy and unethical and deserve the scrutiny they are getting. And don't get me started about Dassey. He may be guilty too, but the manner in which his case was handled is a travesty. Would be nice if this leads to more legislation protecting kids from overzealous cops and prosecutors.
        Yeah that was a good article. I think Avery is guilty. Dassey was treated horribly by police and his own lawyers and deserves a new trial.

But I have a little bit of a problem with the argument "Oh yeah the police planted the key and probably the bullet in the garage and the blood in her car but it's all good because Avery is still guilty as hell." There's a good reason to have safeguards against police/prosecutorial misconduct and maybe even sometimes to let a guilty guy walk if the misconduct is bad enough.

And Master of None (Aziz Ansari's show) was good too -- I liked the Nashville episode a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          City of God (Cidade de Deus). Easily in my top 10 movies of all time.
          moi aussi

Comment

• Anybody watched the Bloodline series?

Thoughts? Recommendations?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Anybody watched the Bloodline series?

I've watched about 5 episodes. I like it a lot, but it's pretty slow. The individual acting is very good imo. Story is interesting, but again slow moving. I wouldn't dissuade you from watching it.

I think KL has watched the whole series.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Anybody watched the Bloodline series?

Four episodes in and it is slow. I'll get around to finishing it but it tested my attention span.

Comment

• Great interview with Netflix's chief content officer.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...r-ted-sarandos

Comment

• Loved Bloodline. The whole series. Mostly for the characters which (who?) are well drawn out and interesting. You think you've managed to pigeonhole each character into a box (the good son, the bad seed, the weak woman, etc) and then they do something that you think is completely out of the ordinary, but then when you think back, there were clues all along about their capacity to do something shocking.

Kyle Chandler is great, but Ben Mendolsohn is amazing, especially since he's an aussie and his natural accent is very unlike his character on Bloodline. Chloe Sevigny is also very good.

The plot arc is very very slow, which is deliberate because it happens in the florida keys, where the living is slow, and generations have owned the same plot of land, and every knows everyone else in the same small town. But the slow pace of life covers simmering tensions right below the surface, and when things ignite, they are brutal and shocking.

The mood of the series feels like the movie Mud. If you liked Mud, you might like Bloodline. I hear season 2 starts in March, so when you're done with season 1, it will almost be time to watch S2.

Comment

• The Netflix CCO in the interview above said you should think of Bloodlines entire first season as a pilot. I recently finished Bloodlines and I agree. Instead of 30 minutes of introducing the characters and setting things up turn into 3 or 4 episodes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        Great interview with Netflix's chief content officer.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...r-ted-sarandos
                        How does Netflix have $6 billion to spend on new series this year? In any given year, I'd be shocked if HBO spent half that.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• All this talk of Bloodlines has me humming one of my favorite songs of the last few years. Time for a listen.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            How does Netflix have $6 billion to spend on new series this year? In any given year, I'd be shocked if HBO spent half that.
                            Between subscriptions and advertising (not sure if that's a factor like it is for Hulu) and other assorted revenues (licensing of their properties, dvd releases, etc.), they come out nice. I really honestly haven't been such a huge fan of their original content, though, as much as everyone else seemed to get into House of Cards and Orange is the new Black. I did like that Kimmy Schmidt show and Daredevil, though.

It's a great model and others are quickly following suit. Now we see HBOGo adopting the distribution part to go with their huge cache of original and licensed content, and Hulu and Amazon are snapping up pilots and coming out with some great original series as well. I have a soft spot for nostalgia and therefore network TV, but there is so much access to entertainment right now-- never a better time in the history of man to be bedridden! :rockon2:
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              Last I heard they had around 75 million subscribers worldwide (~45M in the US) and growing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                                Last I heard they had around 75 million subscribers worldwide (~45M in the US) and growing.
                                In my mind, I guessed they had 50 million stateside and the same amount internationally. But 75 million time $9 is around close to $8 billion per year. 3/4 gets plowed into original programming? That's a massive amount of money to spend. Forget HBO, what does CBS spend? If every hour of programming costs $5 million, then they're spending $15 million for primetime and $450 million a month. That adds up to around $5.5 billion for the year.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X